Page 109 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 4502

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You didn't like Mellon Collie? Mellon Collie/Aeroplane Flies High and Adore are my top ones. Adore era has some awesome b-sides too: Eye, Waiting, Blissed & Gone, Saturnine.
    I definitely like parts of other albums and several other songs, but <controversial> in general I find Mellon Collie to be an incredibly over bloated album. I could easily live with a one disc version. </controversial>

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I definitely like parts of other albums and several other songs, but <controversial> in general I find Mellon Collie to be an incredibly over bloated album. I could easily live with a one disc version. </controversial>
    It's definitely long and bloated, but there is no way I could trim it down to be just one disc without losing some essential tracks. But even so, I wouldn't really want to trim anything, I like it the way it is.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say it's controversial at all. Single-disc MCIS compilations/playlists and the swappage of tracks out for Aeroplane B-sides is practically a tradition, something I think everyone does or toys with the idea of doing at some point. You see it online all the time. As much as it's one of the essential albums of my teenage years and I love it front to back, I'd never, ever say it was perfect. Almost everyone's got a track or two or three they'd just as soon leave off or see replaced.

It took me about two years to go back and appreciate Adore after it came out. The backlash was nuts. Nowadays I almost find it hard to revisit because of how many memories I have attached to that album and how hard it can hit if you're down. It's a classic.

Side note: Setlist is apparently static for this tour according to Bill on IG.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...nion-album-54/

Lowest charting Pumpkins album ever. Even lower than Billy's solo albums that he paraded around as SP albums....Wow

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Zeitgeist would be next up after Machina for the deluxe reissue treatmen
    His original plan was Machina -> Zwan -> TFE -> Zeitgeist. We'll see.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    When I read the headline that Smashing Pumpkins covered The Cure, I cringed really badly. Then I read that James sang it instead, a sigh of relief!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    His original plan was Machina -> Zwan -> TFE -> Zeitgeist. We'll see.
    Is anyone really clamoring for reissues of Zwan or TheFutureEmbrace?? I mean, come on. They're not even SP albums and from what I remember, neither was that great.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-30-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is anyone really clamoring for reissues of Zwan or TheFutureEmbrace?? I mean, come on. They're not even SP albums and from what I remember, neither was that great.
    I want both. Zwan has a treasure trove of unreleased materials and live shows that's much better than the relatively banal studio album.
    I love TFE as an album, and considering Tilt was left off the album (his best song from that era, go figure) I'd love to hear more demos and unreleased songs.
    Also, all of his solo shows are recorded. Bits 2, 4, 5 and 7, Mini, Prairie Song were all good.
    The Chicago Kid acoustic album would be a great companion to TFE too.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I am sure 20 people will rush out to buy that Zwan deluxe

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I didn't like the Zwan album at all. People tell me I have to listen to the non-album tracks. I did and I still didn't like them. The Future Embrace is Billy cycling through 3 different drum presets. I wanted The Future Embrace to be more like the electronic side of Adore, but it wasn't.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I didn't like the Zwan album at all. People tell me I have to listen to the non-album tracks. I did and I still didn't like them. The Future Embrace is Billy cycling through 3 different drum presets. I wanted The Future Embrace to be more like the electronic side of Adore, but it wasn't.
    Yep. That about sums it up for me as well.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Zwan reissue might have songs that should've been on the actual album.

I liked TheFutureEmbrace. So I might. Very underrated imo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    To be fair, I didn't give Zwan or TFE much of a chance, but between the two, I enjoyed Zwan more. Billy's solo stuff never grabs me the same way his SP output has. So maybe I should give them another shot...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The Empty Sea, For Your Love, Spilled Milk, Cast a Stone, Glorious, A New Poetry...there's quite a few off-album Zwan numbers that I'd be very excited to have studio versions of. Mary Star Of The Sea was a badly produced hippie love-fest with about 4 good songs that turned out the way it did because Corgan had a nervous breakdown and became a born-again Christian before it was released; I tend to think he also wanted to move away form his reputation for moody, angsty songs as much as possible. IMO some of that unreleased Zwan stuff would have more legitimacy as SP than a lot of what was between ZG and Shiny.

Could take or leave TFE. It's better than I used to think it was, and IMO it's a better Depeche Mode album than a lot of what DM have put out in the past few years :P I'm not jumping for a reissue though.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Machina recordings are in progress. This is for White Spyder

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To be fair, I didn't give Zwan or TFE much of a chance, but between the two, I enjoyed Zwan more. Billy's solo stuff never grabs me the same way his SP output has. So maybe I should give them another shot...
    I suggest this live show, from back in TFE days...

https://archive.org/details/bc2005-07-28

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...guitar-790482/

Corgan’s reunion with the instrument comes at a fortuitous time. He’s currently in the studio writing new music for a follow-up to 2018’s Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun. It’s going to fit right into the music he’s working on now.
    “I’m literally gonna take it somewhere, and get it fixed up,” he says. “And I’ll start using it. It’s a really valuable guitar to me. And I mean, the timing is sort of strange, and auspicious, and so I take it as a sign that it’s supposed to be part of what we’re doing.”
    The new material is shaping up to be Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 2 but with a shift in direction. “It’s very guitar-driven,” he says.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...guitar-790482/

Corgan’s reunion with the instrument comes at a fortuitous time. He’s currently in the studio writing new music for a follow-up to 2018’s Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun. It’s going to fit right into the music he’s working on now.
    “I’m literally gonna take it somewhere, and get it fixed up,” he says. “And I’ll start using it. It’s a really valuable guitar to me. And I mean, the timing is sort of strange, and auspicious, and so I take it as a sign that it’s supposed to be part of what we’re doing.”
    The new material is shaping up to be Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 2 but with a shift in direction. “It’s very guitar-driven,” he says.
    I read this a few days ago and it made me hopeful and excited for what Vol. 2 might have in store. Hopefully that (along with actually writing songs with Jimmy and James again) will inspire some truly great Pumpkins tunes.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Machina tapes are still being transferred, it seems.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    love that pic of James with the old Gish guitar...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    When there's pics of Billy reunited with an old producer like Butch Vig or Flood, let me know. I care more for getting the proper guy in there to produce and get the best out of Billy than some long lost guitar, like suddenly he's gonna be able to write Gish 2 now that he got his guitar back. I love his description of the work on the new album is that is has a lot of guitars. Well yeah, I would imagine with 3 frigging guitarists in the band that it would. Now do those guitars actually have some edge to them? Not another bland soft rock album that you can put on to try and make yourself look thoughtful and sincere as you're trying to fingerblast your late night random college hook up.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

It's true that a guitar alone isn't going to singlehandedly restore his songwriting chops, but holy hell does it ever sound right back in his hands.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Maybe Billy should worry about reuniting with D'arcy instead of a guitar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    She's never coming back

I miss her too but there are support groups for things like this

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Maybe Billy should worry about reuniting with D'arcy instead of a guitar
    If having Jimmy and James back didn't produce a good album, I highly doubt bringing back D'arcy is going to be the thing that finally makes Billy a good songwriter again.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    D'arcy coming back will add nothing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I finally heard "Shiny and oh so bright...", man that was bad!

It does have a couple of good moments but most of the album is like a boring "Machina", even ZWAN sounded more interesting.

Bummer, i wish he released only the singles...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There is apparently some sort of announcement coming on Monday. Too soon to be Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 2 announcement, so I'm guessing it's a summer tour announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I finally heard "Shiny and oh so bright...", man that was bad!

It does have a couple of good moments but most of the album is like a boring "Machina", even ZWAN sounded more interesting.

Bummer, i wish he released only the singles...
    I personally thought Shiny and Oh So Bright was better than ZWAN, both solo albums, and Monuments, but Oceania is still easily the best of the post-breakup material. Shiny and Oh so Bright DOES grow on you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)