Page 17 of 151 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Howie Weinberg on Facebook:

""Having a great day remastering The Smashing Pumpkins Adore album originally recorded in 1998. Mixed by Flood. #tape #studer""

So that's currently happening.

And coming from the official board, some wrestler who's been a quasi-legit source of GNR leaks in the past and has interviewed Billy says that the current SP lineup is done and that "reunion shows are 'being considered'". This posting has been deleted. In unrelated news, Mike Byrne is offering drum courses and Nicole apparently mentioned on her FB that she's searching for new gigs.

I'm sure none of this means anything.

Crossing my fingers anyway.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It'd be cool to see the old band get back together. I don't see it happening though... Especially D'arcy coming back. To me, there's a lot of burnt bridges there. But, who knows?

After Oceania, I'm actually fine with the current lineup. They showed what they're capable of together and the promise of what they could do in the future.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    MSL is a great source imo, but personally I'd prefer the Oceania line up.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I don't think D'arcy is even able to come back to the touring from the mess she's now. If there is a reunion, I bet 5$ it's gonna be Machina-era lineup with Melissa.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I don't think D'arcy is even able to come back to the touring from the mess she's now. If there is a reunion, I bet 5$ it's gonna be Machina-era lineup with Melissa.
    That would be awesome! Can you really see Jimmy coming back after being "fired"? But, I gotta say, I really had started to accept the new band. So, it's kind of weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Getting the old line up together seems so pointless now. Billy seemed to be busting his ass to make people accept the new band with Oceania, and quite honestly, all things considered, he was about as successful in that as humanly possible. I saw two shows with the new lineup - A pre-Oceania show, which I consider to be the best non-NIN show I've ever seen, and a show on the Oceania tour, which was incredibly cool and well done. Oceania was a really solid album, easily Billy's best since Adore, and I'm more than a little interested in hearing what they can come up with next. As cool as the old lineup is, this whole "new Smashing Pumpkins" band would seem all for naught if the old lineup got back together for real. It would be cool if Jimmy came back (though I think Mike Byrne is more than adequate) but James and D'arcy.... well, I'd bet D'arcy is incapable now, and James has been mostly awful in anything where Billy isn't running the show. I'd go see Billy play SP songs with either line up for sure, but he was sort of doing the impossible with Oceania and he really resurrected the SP "feeling" with that record IMO.... Just build off of that...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    After hearing anything James has done, post-pumpkins, you can kinda tell what the brought. Which was cool. I'm really weird about this. It'd be nice to see James work with Billy again. But, it would just seem real abrupt considering that Billy did a pretty solid album with his new band, which is/was just starting to catch it's bearings. Either way, i'll listen. But, the whole thing just sounds unnecessary at this point.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    In unrelated news, Mike Byrne is offering drum courses and Nicole apparently mentioned on her FB that she's searching for new gigs.
    And Jeff moved to Seoul, according to the Peanuts Christmas album thing. I don't really expect much of a "reunion", but I wouldn't be too surprised if the lineup did change it up.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Further Adore Reissue news from Howie (who agrees the album doesn't need remastering):

"They will be releasing the mono versions and 5 extra CDs of unreleased material, live stuff, etc."

...Britting shicks

UPDATE: One of those discs is a DVD as per usual.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-15-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    five cd's of unreleased material? count me in. all day. i think i'll start saving every single penny i can find to afford a set like that. Adore was always my absolutel favorite Pumpkins album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    5 CD's!!!!!
    Holy motherfucking shit!
    Can't wait!
    I enjoyed the band live during this time with experimenting, especially with having a keyboardist and 2 percussionists.
    They did an awesome fast rendition of "1979" during this time and an awesome brooding drum chugging version of "Bullets With Butterfly Wings."
    ADORE is my favorite album from them, so 5 CD's of extra is fucking amazeballs for me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    and let's not forget the epic versions of "Tear" they would do every night. colour me excited on this one.

(it's going to cost an arm and a leg.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't have much hope, but this needs to cost less than Mellon Collie. I've waited since it came out til about 2 weeks ago to buy it, still £104 in the UK. It's a gorgeous set, but considering there was more material in The Aeroplane Flies High which cost less I can only assume they were either a) charging more because of the gorgeous Mellon Collie packaging or b) charging more because it's widely seen as Pumpkins best album and so were "money grabbing".

Either way, I will be buying this. This is the one I've been waiting for. I'm also curious as to how Machina and Machina II get dealt with.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FIVE? Daaaang. Color me excited.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    5 discs of Adore era material? Yes.

Maybe there is some more workings of songs similar to, snippets of, demos or and remixes of The Beginning is the End is the Beginning/The End is the Beginning is the End!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    4 CDs and a DVD is the total. So my bet/hope is, going off past reissues:

1: Adore Remastered
    2: Adore in Mono
    3&4: Unreleased songs/B-Sides/demos/Remixes
    5: Live DVD

As much as I want TEITBITE/TBITEITB (Batman) stuff to show up here, I'm not too hopeful due to rights issues. The single couldn't even be included on Rotten Apples. Hell, to this day Prince can't use any of the Batman '89 soundtrack on compilations. Dunno if remixes are affected.

There's supposedly a ton of stuff from this era that's never seen the light of day. I have a feeling we won't get all of it.

At least the long sought out Rick Rubin version of Let Me Give The World To You has been confirmed as being included.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 01-17-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo derpo

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    whats the mono version about though? whats the story behind that one?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It was originally supposed to be included if I am not mistaken.

And I will be fucking pissed if TEITBITE or TBITEITB are not included.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    the original LP from 1998 was mono as well. some preferred it (i did not, but willing to give it another shot).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    As much as I want TEITBITE/TBITEITB (Batman) stuff to show up here, I'm not too hopeful due to rights issues. The single couldn't even be included on Rotten Apples. Hell, to this day Prince can't use any of the Batman '89 soundtrack on compilations. Dunno if remixes are affected.
    the "Batman" demos were listed in that working track checklist they posted a couple months ago, iirc. they may be on the release in those forms.

as frankie said, the original vinyl release was mono. hell, the CD version is just glorified mono (all the main instruments are in the middle, it's just extra bits like loops and some reverb that go out to the sides) so i'm kinda hoping they did some "BC mix 2013" versions — less "Starla," more "Cupid de Locke" style — just to get a wider mix. i've never been a fan of the original album mix, though it's certainly not bad by any means.

also, it'd be cool if the Lost Highway version of "Tear" is on it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear the mono version of Adore. I wonder why Billy chose to record a mono version of that album in particular, and not any of the other ones. I didn't think any artist had mono mixes of their songs since the late 60s or so. I have the complete Beatles in mono--and it's cool (some people swear by the mono versions) but I almost always listen to the stereo versions--it's just what I'm used to and it sounds better, IMO.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. What exactly are the benefits of those mono mixes and why did they choose to record/mix the songs that way (apart from keeping in line with artwork and image of that era)?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. What exactly are the benefits of those mono mixes and why did they choose to record/mix the songs that way (apart from keeping in line with artwork and image of that era)?
    i've not read quotes by BC about a reason why, but there aren't really any practical benefits to mixing in mono unless you're in a live sound reinforcement situation (and even that is changing now). it does allow you to fit more music on an LP side before sound degrades.

i think it's primarily based in the 'classy old black and white film' sort of visual aesthetic he gave Adore like you mentioned.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I see. So it's just a gimmick. Mhmm.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    also, it'd be cool if the Lost Highway version of "Tear" is on it.
    wait, what? you mean the lost highway version of eye?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    nope, they originally recorded tear for the soundtrack too, but it was rejected. it was then re-recorded/arranged for adore. i hope it surfaces, too!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In accordance with my S.A.D. and fondness of adolescent memory, I really hope this sees a late May/early June release like the original. I remember when it first came out in 1998. I was 16, my best friends and I listened to it on repeat for a week straight while driving around gravel roads at night in a giant family van, drinking beer and playing 007 on N64. The weather was stormy too, it was pretty magical.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone know (or have) a super hi res version of the Adore cover? Preferably in a more rectangular format such as this?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Billy Big news on Monday involves future SP, but for today I'll mention that we just finished mix of LetMeGiveTheWorldToYou for Adore: Amazing!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Reunion we heard about a little while back? Still hoping for a Machina date