Page 18 of 151 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    jimmy recently recorded a few drum tracks with nicole (current bass player) with kerry brown helming, so there's a lot of speculation that points to jimmy coming back into the fold.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It'd be cool to see him back. But, it honestly doesn't matter too much any more. Mike was pretty good and I wouldve been fine if he stayed or stays. Tbh, I'm fine with the current lineup, in general. If that rumor is true about James and Jimmy, hopefully they keep Jeff and have three guitarists. That would be awesome. Billy and Jeff doing their thing, with James doing effects in the bg.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Man, Jimmy MADE the band for me. I still air drum to pumpkins more than I sing along to it and I'm the douche yelling out "JIMMAYYY!" at the live shows. I'd love to see him back.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The official website's band photo has been changed to a shamrock.

Lineup change, I can feel it.

C'mon Jimmy.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The official website's band photo has been changed to a shamrock.

Lineup change, I can feel it.

C'mon Jimmy.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see an album announcement as well.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So what was all that about "big news" today?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Looks like a definite line up change

Nicole's site lists her as "available for bookings"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    No updates or news have dropped. 20+ pages on the official board of pissed off people waiting for info that hasn't come all day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    From the pumpkins website

Two New Smashing Pumpkins Albums Set for 2015
    March 25, 2014
    Pleased to announce that I’ve just inked a new record deal with BMG that will see the release of two Smashing Pumpkins albums in 2015; titled successively: ‘Monuments To An Elegy’ and ‘Day For Night.’ For those interested in sound, think: ‘guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars;’ but more so on the epic side of things than say, grossly metallic. Recording sessions begin today, as plenty of songs have been written and ready to go. Manning the boards will be producer Howard Willing, with whom I first had the pleasure of working with during the ‘Adore’ sessions. We expect a single out by year’s end.

Additionally, this stands as the initial post on a new nexus: The Panopticon, which through its simplicity should better address the speed of modern life. A continuing feature, items regarding each day’s recording will be shared that same evening, with song titles, lyrics, poetic impressions, pictures, sound clips, studio gear and the like offered for a circuitous, bird’s eye view of the process as it unfolds.

-W.P.C. 3/25/14

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's interesting how he says "I've inked a new deal" instead of "we".

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I loved Oceania and am certainly excited for it. I'm assuming that lineup changes will end up being announced when a tour is announced? I remember Billy saying he was interested in doing another double album, so I guess this is a way of doing that without doing that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Oceania as well. So, I'm a little bummed to see that band go (if that's the case). And if so, I hope we don't get another zeitgeist.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Loved Oceania--this is GREAT news! Should be two of the best rock releases of next year. I wonder if they will be released on the same day, i.e., Use Your Illusion.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-25-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    It's interesting how he says "I've inked a new deal" instead of "we".
    He knows that we all know that nowadays he is the band and some hired guns.

I seem to recall him mentioning a soft album and a hard album at some point. Those titles seem a little indicative of that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So excited for all of this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    He knows that we all know that nowadays he is the band and some hired guns.
    It was always the Billy Corgan show. He was always the Smashing Pumpkins, just like Trent Reznor has always been Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    damn wish I din have to wait til 2015!

good news either way! Oceania really surprised me, didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have.
    Hope that line up stays too.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Ehhh, not exactly. Almost. He was more of the driving force behind a band with ultimate veto power, which isn't quite the same as the one-man NIN show. I mean, James did co-write some stuff and got a few tracks of his own in, just that a lot of it got relegated to the sidelines. And supposedly everyone did contribute to MCIS to some degree, though I've no doubts most of the work was from his hand.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Billy just likes the idea of being in a rock band because that's the form that all his favorite music has taken, but in his heart he's really one of those fascist solo artists, like Prince, Reznor, Kanye, etc. There have been fleeting moments of genuine band dynamics (i.e: the early jam sessions for Mellon Collie), but in general the dude doesn't seem to have (or need) the social skills required for ongoing group collaboration. There's no chance that he would ever allow another member of the band to, say, override one of his decisions about a song, or tell him to rewrite his lyrics, or significantly shape the sound of an upcoming record. And I suspect that this is largely because he doesn't trust their ability to deliver quality music. Apart from Jimmy's drumming, the rest of band's contributions have always been less musical and more about the style/image/energy/etc. And this is kind of justified by the fact that the other band members' non-SP music has been pretty mediocre in comparison to the pumpkins.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Personally I liked it better when the band had veto power. You could see the effects of this during Machina, he probably told them to fuck off when they didn't like some of the terrible ideas on that album, so they broke up after. Especially when he was dumb enough to wear dresses on stage.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Smashing Pumpkins

He still wears dresses on stage.

It's exactly as Mantra says.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Did you ever hear about the reason why Sharon Osborne was fired as his manager? She told him he looked terrible onstage with his dresses etc. and really pissed him off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I honestly prefer the dresses than the "tight tee, baring tummy and ass crack" look he had during Oceania tour.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Did you ever hear about the reason why Sharon Osborne was fired as his manager? She told him he looked terrible onstage with his dresses etc. and really pissed him off.
    I never heard that, I just remember there was some quote from her that went something like "Billy doesn't need a manager. He micro-manages himself," which I found absolutely hilarious and still think about to this day. When I first read it I was like "Yup. That's our Billy!"

And as far I know no one's ever had veto power over Billy at any point in the band's history.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sharon quit. "Billy Corgan is making me sick!" was the official quote i think.

She said she hated the Stand Inside Your Love video and thought it was a weak first single. Hence why Everlasting Gaze was first instead.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    Sharon quit. "Billy Corgan is making me sick!" was the official quote i think.

She said she hated the Stand Inside Your Love video and thought it was a weak first single. Hence why Everlasting Gaze was first instead.
    Ah, I thought he fired her...either way.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    According to Billy, he probably "fired" everyone who left. But, even if he did fire her, you think she would actually admit it? I agree that Billy is the band. But, he definitely needs someone there to challenge him, to tell him when he has a bad idea, or not.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    That's weird, Stand Inside Your Love is way better than Everlasting Gaze. That song is alright, but I always cringe during that bridge section where all the music stops and he's just singing acappella for like 30 seconds straight. Seems especially ridiculous for a song that's supposed to be a radio single.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Totally agree with both of you. That bridge just sounds so odd.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Stand Inside Your Love is one of my favorite SP songs from any album. 1000x better than Everlasting Gaze.