Page 21 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I wish I could make a shit ton of money recording myself dicking around on a modular 7 years ago.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Been listening to Zeitgeist today.Cranking up the album while cleaning and stuff.That album gets better when cranked and United States is one of my favorite performances from Jimmy.
    Also,I got the Best Buy cd/dvd version and noticed there is no booklet included.Is this normal? Is the booklet available only with the standard cd release? (Excluding the book edition).

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I also have been listening to new Pumpkins albums a lot recently. Something that struck me: songs from Teargarden and Oceania are really, really similar. From mood, songwriting and instrumentation point of view. Then why fuck the former gets constantly bashed and the latter ultimately praised? Just because of dumb Widow lirycs? C'mon. I don't get it. Both albums are great.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The teargarden stuff has grown on me a bit. But, for me, the songs on Oceania are more thought out. The teargarden material just feels rushed. But, yeah, there's definitely some huge similarities. They are connected. I don't mind Widow as much as some. The lyrics suck. But, musically, it's not bad. Love Astral Planes. But, overall, Oceania is just infinitely better, imo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The drummer also addressed his recent contribution to the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins album, on which he plays drums on every track. “I think [Billy Corgan] has probably the best record he’s ever written,” Lee says. “These are like epic, goose-bump songs. It sounds like the first couple of Smashing Pumpkins records. I was f—ing blown away.”
    http://loudwire.com/tommy-lee-motley...hing-pumpkins/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I also have been listening to new Pumpkins albums a lot recently. Something that struck me: songs from Teargarden and Oceania are really, really similar. From mood, songwriting and instrumentation point of view. Then why fuck the former gets constantly bashed and the latter ultimately praised? Just because of dumb Widow lirycs? C'mon. I don't get it. Both albums are great.
    I like Teargarden, but they sound more like demos, or works-in-progress than fleshed-out songs. Oceania, which does sound like a continuation of Teargarden, sounds more "finished."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Prior to Oceania he loved using the million bolly choir, and for one reason or another on Oceania he actually had enough sense to have Nicole do backup vox, which made an insane amount of difference. Gave the album so much more heart. I also feel like Bottril doing the mixing on the record was night and day over the terrible mixing on Teargarden.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Billy Corgan has a reality show about wrestling coming to AMC...

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com...3-BC82FA949EE1

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone from the alt 90's fallen off as hard as Billy Corgan?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    He still confuses the shit out of me; he still makes fairly decent music (Oceania was excellent IMO, the title track, Pale Horse, Wildflower, etc. were all great songs that have become favorites for me), he still plays well live, he does a lot of fan-service type stuff like the current reissue campaign that he's openly said he isn't making money off of but instead losing it, offered a great VIP package on the last tour compared to a lot of other acts, etc.

And then he makes people pay to eat lunch with him and buys wrestling companies and goes on Alex Jones twice and does 10 hour synth interpretations of a book, etc.

It's like he went crazy but in an okay way that hasn't ruined his life, which is pretty cool considering there are people like Marilyn Manson who instead of just being naturally crazy/out there is just trashed by drugs and liquor.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    I think that he's still putting out amazing music and live shows.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    He still confuses the shit out of me; he still makes fairly decent music (Oceania was excellent IMO, the title track, Pale Horse, Wildflower, etc. were all great songs that have become favorites for me), he still plays well live, he does a lot of fan-service type stuff like the current reissue campaign that he's openly said he isn't making money off of but instead losing it, offered a great VIP package on the last tour compared to a lot of other acts, etc.

And then he makes people pay to eat lunch with him and buys wrestling companies and goes on Alex Jones twice and does 10 hour synth interpretations of a book, etc.

It's like he went crazy but in an okay way that hasn't ruined his life, which is pretty cool considering there are people like Marilyn Manson who instead of just being naturally crazy/out there is just trashed by drugs and liquor.
    Okay, wait: Billy is a neighbor so we know the truth and not these stupid rumors. Billy didn't BUY a wrestling company, he STARTED one because he and his younger brother (whom he pretty much raised) grew up loving wrestling. The "lunch with Billy" thing was to RAISE MONEY FOR CHARITY. I think the Alex Jones thing was a temporary brush with media anger. He is heavily involved in the community, does a lot for charity, and is trying to get more community involvement in the arts (hence why his tea house is also an art studio). He's eccentric, sure, but he's a pretty smart guy. Here, read this from his friend Art Shay and Billy's very dear friend, Florence (who passed away of ovarian cancer, but not before Billy had tried to get her help from every integrative doctor he knew here on the North Shore).

Here's Billy singing "Summertime" at Florence Shay's funeral:
    Last edited by allegro; 05-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I definitely love the guy and think he does a lot of cool things, it's just you can understand how a lot of what he does comes across as a little crazy/eccentric at times. But honestly he's always been that way; I remember Regis and Kelly talking about how he regularly sent them fan mail for years, etc. It's not a problem for me, I think a lot of great artists and people in general have their oddities, Billy just often seems a little, I don't know, in his own little world? I think that's fine, it can just come off as very strange/unusual quite often. Didn't mean to offend, @allegro !

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Not offended, but I just think fair is fair and bullshit is bullshit. Most artists are eccentric in some way or another.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

check out who I met!!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    From his post on the 18th:

"Or here’s a tidbit: I’ve begun sifting through the mounds of MACHINA material for what will be the last of the O.G. reissues; ADORE being prepared now for what looks like a release in the near future. Found a bunch of interesting acoustic demos: pre and post album; MACHINA that is."

I just want to bludgeon myself over the head really hard with a blunt instrument and wake up when the Machina reissue comes out. I NEED to hear everything I can from that period.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm really impressed with how many projects Billy's juggling all at once here, that news about Adore felt like an after-thought almost. Can't fuckin' wait for it personally.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it's nice to see him looking genuinely happy. i don't think i've seen a smile like that on billy since the 90s. also, those cats are ADORABLE.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Love him or not, I absolutely respect Billy for the things he has done to help animal welfare.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, those cats are ADORABLE.
    He's had photos of the cat(s) on his twitter feed and FB account several times. He says they rule his house. He adopted them from PAWS 10 years ago as kittens from the same litter, according to the article.

edit: https://twitter.com/Billy/status/266...885248/photo/1
    Last edited by allegro; 05-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Posted yet? From the official site:

Looking forward to the eventual reissue of a restored and recompiled MACHINA, work has begun on transfers from the original 24 track tapes, as well as a host of select live shows. The effort will be unprecedented for Smashing Pumpkins et al, as Billy Corgan has indicated plans to put the album not only in it’s original and intended double/triple album sequence, but has designs on commissioning new remixes of all materials as well. The intention he says is clear: to present MACHINA in the original form in which it was written; or in his words, ‘as a theatrical narrative.’

Other possibilities of coalescing the story exist: including the addition of extant materials such acoustic alternates, re-contextualized soundtrack pieces, and use of spoken word to create an immersive experience.”

“I’m also not opposed to asking current artists to participate, singing songs as such on the compositions meant for other character’s voices,” Billy adds. “Finishing what the band started so long ago, and we just didn’t have the strength to end.”

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's nice to see him looking genuinely happy. i don't think i've seen a smile like that on billy since the 90s. also, those cats are ADORABLE.

Cats make everyone smile, even Mr. Mellon Collie himself.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Ba-zuh? He put up a post nearly a year back saying the Machina tapes were being transferred. Le sigh.

TRIPLE album? Hello...first mention I've seen of that.

And ehhh, I'd rather he left current artists et al out. To my (currently drunken) mind, that sounds scary close to putzing about with what he's already got down in the vaults. I'd be down if it was off to the side of the main album...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    TRIPLE album? Hello...first mention I've seen of that.
    I guess if you take Machina II as a sort of a double album in itself, you can scrape a triple album out of there? I'm not too big on that -- some of the tracks on the Machina II EPs are my favorite things the band has ever done (the first three tracks, Try, maybe Lucky 13), but the others I find totally dispensable.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Super excited for the Machine re-release. Always been my favorite Pumpkins album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    the ADORE reissue is the one that I have most been looking forward to... AND IT IS NEARLY UPON US!
    been waiting for this day since Billy first announced working on all of these reissues.
    counting down with each reissue's release to when ADORE would be next.
    fingers crossed for that alternate version of "Pug" shown in the behind the scenes making of Adore video that used to be up on the old SP site.
    that thing sounded like a beast!

The Adore era was a nice mix of electronics and organics...
    lots of acoustic numbers, but i love the sound of electronic Pumpkins, especially when it comes to the beats with a piano. Crestfallen, Blissed And Gone
    Tracks like Appels + Oranjes, Perfect, Ava Adore, Blank Page, Eye, Waiting, and I prefer The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning... all great tracks from this era

I had this epic live recording of Blank Page that I lost due to a hard drive failure. I mean this version was EPIC... turned it into this 9 minute opus. I hope to get it on the live section of the Adore boxset.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^ That. All of that.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    what can we actually expect from Adore extras? more acoustic/piano stuff? more electronics? a mix of both?