Page 29 of 151 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Can't wait until we get some details on the Machina reissue. Hoping it gets the same 7 disc treatment.

Also, can't wait until the new album, out this December.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking on Machina reissue:

CD1+2: Machina 1+2 combined into double album (as "Billy originally planned")
    CD3+4: demos, alt versions, outtakes, bla-bla-bla (although I have a feeling it will take no less than 3 CDs)
    CD5+6: live stuff (disc 5 for Arising material, disc 6 for 2000 tour)
    DVD: final show at Metro

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

CD3+4: demos, alt versions, outtakes, bla-bla-bla (although I have a feeling it will take no less than 3 CDs)
    I'd be more or less cool with this, save that I'd indeed swap out a 2000 tour disc (or combine it with some Arising shows on one live disc) in favor of a third disc of demos etc.

I'm also wondering if perhaps for the non-deluxe release he'll also put out the MI and MII albums as they were originally released.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Sounds great. Some of the songs from the original album sound overblown, so I l'd love to hear the demos, might sound better.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I was watching the Oceania concert DVD--great performance. Kind of a shame Billy disbanded that lineup.
    @halo33 and i are in this dvd often. really enjoyed that show, but preferred the previous tour (with lots of obscure/pisces-era/deeper cuts) on the setlist. i always enjoyed this lineup live, even though mike byrne was really hit or miss on some of those fills...

as for machina, i'd be surprised if this was less discs than adore. if anything, i reckon it will be a larger set...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    @halo33 and i are in this dvd often. really enjoyed that show, but preferred the previous tour (with lots of obscure/pisces-era/deeper cuts) on the setlist. i always enjoyed this lineup live, even though mike byrne was really hit or miss on some of those fills...

as for machina, i'd be surprised if this was less discs than adore. if anything, i reckon it will be a larger set...
    Caught the Boston show in 2012 and it was awesome to hear the new album played, front to back. As for the previous tour, are you talking about 2011 or so? Great show, the 2008 shows (at least at the Wang Center in Boston), not so much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    apparently December 9 is set for monuments to an elegy, yeah!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    apparently December 9 is set for monuments to an elegy, yeah!
    And apparently to be followed by a "doom metal" album.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/1...m-metal-album/

Not sure if it's the second album that is going to be released, or as this article states, a third Pumpkins album.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-10-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Unless Billy's changed his mind, Day for Night is supposed to be more contemporary, "end of the road" type of album. Maybe the direction has changed. Or, it's another album altogether.

Who knows? Not sure how far along Day for Night even is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Should be interesting. This is a great time for Pumpkins fans.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    very clearly misunderstood humour. the Pumpkins will never, ever go full doom, ever. Corgan is incapable — closest we get is US and "Superchrist."

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I've been reading Billy's blog and got an impression DfN is supposed to be mostly electronic, as opposed to guitar-heavy MTAE.
    I'm sure both albums will be good.
    I just wish Billy used the word "revolution" in lyrics no more than 3 times per album.
    Last edited by fillow; 10-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I brought this up in the controversial thread, but I think Zeitgeist is a totally underrated album and is aging rater well. It sounds less bloated and overdone than Machina, sounding fresh, urgent and muscular. Jimmy sounds fucking amazing and the songwriting is top-notch. Far from being a low-point in Billy's career, Zeitgeist ​is a triumph.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i like some of Zeitgeist but it's actually just weakened with time for me. the tracklist is exceedingly poorly sequenced, some of the best material was left as a store exclusive, BC's voice is WAY too upfront and layered WAY too much for no musical reason, and it has some seriously awful filler: "For God and Country," "7 Shades of Black," "Pomp and Circumstances," and "(Come On) Let's Go" are incredibly terrible imo.

replace the crap with "Stellar," "Superchrist," "The Rose March," and hell, "G.L.O.W." and "FOL" and i'll listen to it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Zeitgeist has grown on me alot over the years. Some songs I still can't get into (god and country, pomp, etc.). The store exclusive songs, imo, are the better songs of the set. How they thought it would be a good idea to cut them and spread them out like that was incredibly stupid. Then again, that's the record industry.

A lot of forgettable stuff, but some pretty solid songs in there as well. With better mixing and tracklisting, it could've been something far better.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Zeitgeist has grown on me alot over the years. Some songs I still can't get into (god and country, pomp, etc.). The store exclusive songs, imo, are the better songs of the set. How they thought it would be a good idea to cut them and spread them out like that was incredibly stupid. Then again, that's the record industry.

A lot of forgettable stuff, but some pretty solid songs in there as well. With better mixing and tracklisting, it could've been something far better.
    Really, the only problem I've ever had with it is the production value. Neverlost is one of my all-time favorite SP songs. I'm really hoping the remastered/mixed version of the album Billy's mentioned does finally come out (and then maybe we'll get an actual vinyl release, too).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I really don't get the love for Neverlost. Maybe I'm the odd man out. I just find it completely average. Then again, I actually enjoy 7 Shades of Black. I enjoy the entire first half of the album (minus That's The Way). The second half wanders off. I'd switch out the later tracks with the bonus tracks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really don't get the love for Neverlost. Maybe I'm the odd man out. I just find it completely average. Then again, I actually enjoy 7 Shades of Black. I enjoy the entire first half of the album (minus That's The Way). The second half wanders off. I'd switch out the later tracks with the bonus tracks.
    my thoughts exactly!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Funny, "For God and Country" was one of my favorites from the album!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Funny, "For God and Country" was one of my favorites from the album!
    Agreed. I remember when I first picked that album up, the first couple of songs were great, then the rest of the record bored the hell out of me until I got to "For God and Country" which floored me. Great tune!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I agree that Zeitgeist has kinda aged well, despite the horrible production.

the only track I skip is "United States"

On the topic of the Adore remaster's DVD....
    Did anyone with OCD wish they could put their hand through the TV screen and straighten Billy's collar....?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love Zeitgeist (have both the standard CD and deluxe edition with the 90+ page booklet).
    The production kinda sucks, and indeed, Pomp and For God And Country I always tend to skip, but Jimmy's drumming is absolutely crazy (the ending of Bring the Light is insane). United States is one of my fave SP songs ever.
    They should've replaced everything after Bring the Light with Superchrist, that would've made for an absolutely amazing album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was listening to both Zeitgeist and Oceania today on my jog and while I feel that Oceania is the better of the two, Jimmy's drumming is missed. It will be very interesting to hear how the new album sounds with Tommy Lee behind the kit.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Cover for the new album. New single due any day.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to the Zeitgeist reissue almost as much as I am Machina. I prefer ZG to Oceania by a good mile. The production was indeed what killed it, should be very interesting to hear what it'll be like the second time around, Billy did say they'd be making adjustments. It does kind of drop off after Neverlost, though. Loved the extra tracks, Ma Belle and Death From Above being my standouts - the soft piano version of the latter on If All Goes Wrong being outstanding.

Also...are those tire tracks on the new album cover?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Zeitgeist reissue almost as much as I am Machina. I prefer ZG to Oceania by a good mile. The production was indeed what killed it, should be very interesting to hear what it'll be like the second time around, Billy did say they'd be making adjustments. It does kind of drop off after Neverlost, though. Loved the extra tracks, Ma Belle and Death From Above being my standouts - the soft piano version of the latter on If All Goes Wrong being outstanding.

Also...are those tire tracks on the new album cover?
    It was my understanding that Machina would be the last reissue.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    ^^
    No. Billy planned to follow up with Zwan reissue package, than The Future Embrace, and finally with Zeitgeist, but not before all the rights to the record return to him (or his current label, whatever), which is supposed to happen in 2017, 10 years after the release.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    ^^
    No. Billy planned to follow up with Zwan reissue package, than The Future Embrace, and finally with Zeitgeist, but not before all the rights to the record return to him (or his current label, whatever), which is supposed to happen in 2017, 10 years after the release.
    Okay.

Sounds good. Billy's got tons of stuff in the vaults.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Edited for Derp as I did not see this last page when replying. He's specifically mentioned a Zwan "box" a few times as so much stuff they did never saw the light of day it seems.

I am still working my way through the Adore reissue. It is great. Also, I like pie.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Actually, my favorite SP track, not only of this album, but of all of their albums, is That's The Way (My Love is). I find it so uplifting. But I can see why it can not be everyone's cup of tea.