Page 8 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I finally got my hands on one of the Siamese Dream deluxe sets after not being able to justify spending spare money on non-photography related gear for the last year. I sat down and read the little accompanying book with Billys notes about the making of the album and whatnot. I'm not the biggest SP fans so there was some new stuff mentioned in the book that I'd never heard of. All the stories about the creation of the album made the listening of it kinda new and awesome. It's never been in my top few SP albums, but I really, really got into it last night and somehow found a new appreciation for it. It's good stuff.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I bought adore recently because I like eye but it hasn't caught for me yet.

On that note one of my current projects is remixing eye to incorporate chamberlin drums (probably from moggs) because I hate the programmed ones (the samples that is, not the rhythm particularly. But if I can add some fills from live performances, great)- first phase was trying to minimise/remove existing ones but that hasn't really worked out so it will probably have to be overdub.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    like most people, I didn't enjoy Adore when I first got it in 98, probably still in awe of MCIS but it grew on me by the 6th year of owning it. 2004 was such a slow year for music that it made me re-visit Adore. I don't nickname it A-bore anymore.

As for Oceania, it's a good album. Maybe needs some angst and the middle part of the album is pretty boring.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Adore is indeed fantastic...

Question: Did D'arcy sometimes just sing out notes in her backup live, or completely different lines? It's just a lot of the time a camera goes to her I notice her lips not moving with the words Billy's singing. I always found that odd, but cool...
    Last edited by Amaro; 07-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So after how ever many weeks, Oceania is still sounding great to me after more than a few spins. I can't stop listening to Inkless.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Pinwheels is a song that I keep going back to. I'm loving it as a whole though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Adore is hands down my favorite SP album ever. And it's odd that you bring that up, because I think (maybe cuz she was high out of her mind or something) that she never really sang along either. One thing that always stood out to me was the video for Ava Adore. At about 2:20 or so when Billy sings 'we must never be apart' D'arcy is blatantly not saying anything coherent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Adore would've been my favourite IF they'd replaced some of the latter tracks with the great songs that didn't make it in the end (Blissed and Gone, Waiting, Let Me Give The World, Once In A While, Czarina).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Let Me Give The World To You fit perfectly with Machina II, so I'd leave it as is. I'd have added Eye and Blissed and Gone.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Once in a while is on adore

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Once Upon A Time = Adore track
    Once In A While = Ava Adore b-side/Adore Japanese bonus track.

I think I actually would've switched them.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Adore would be a 10/10 if you drop Annie Dog, Tale of... and Once Upon a Time then switched em with:

Eye
    The End is the Beginning is the End
    The Beginning is the end is the Beginning

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Once Upon A Time = Adore track
    Once In A While = Ava Adore b-side/Adore Japanese bonus track.

I think I actually would've switched them.
    would Ya look at that. After all this time I never realized I have the Japanese edition which includes one in a while. Had no idea that wasn't included on the standard version, silly it wouldn't be because it's one of my favorite tracks on the album.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Adore would be a 10/10 if you drop Annie Dog, Tale of... and Once Upon a Time then switched em with:

Eye
    The End is the Beginning is the End
    The Beginning is the end is the Beginning
    Ill agree with you on Annie Dog. Weakest track on the album IMO. Not a bad song though. Just nothing amazing. Pistol Pete is an awesome song as is Once Upon a Time. Very catchy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah Annie Dog is definitely among the weakest; I too love Pistol Pete...but on the lower end haha...it's sort of weak IMO as well. I wonder what's going to be included in the upcoming Adore reissue (next year apparently with the 15 yr. anniversary).

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Adore is one of the best depressing albums ever, especially that final run from Shame to Blank Page. I love how relentlessly bleak it is. I'm glad they didn't end with some crappy uplifting track.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    17 seems sorta "unlifting". Very bleak album though. I wouldn't change a single thing about it. It was no secret that Billy had issues at the time (mother dying, divorce, band falling apart". It made sense. I fell in love with it instantly. With some people, it takes years to actually understand what it is. By the time I had first heard it, my taste in music was just starting to change. Machina was the album that took me awhile to get into. Everything else just felt more natural. Probably why I like Oceania. Musically, it's where it should be - honest, and to the point.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    RIP dennis flemion, aka dennis frog, aka keyboardist for the pumpkins after jonathan/jimmy's overdose, aka backing vox on adore and instruments on 'medellia of the grey skies' aka part of the amazingly underrated and hilariously genius band, the frogs:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sad to hear, RIP Dennis. The Frogs had some special moments

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I forgot how AMAZING For Martha is. Shame on me. The interlude before the guitar solo is just breathtakingly beautiful.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is my dream Adore tracklisting:

To Sheila
    Ava Adore
    Perfect
    Let Me Give The World to You
    Daphne Descends
    Once In A While
    Tear
    Waiting
    Crestfallen
    Do You Close Your Eyes?
    Czarina
    Appels + Oranjes
    Winterlong
    Pug
    Shame
    For Martha
    Behold! The Night Mare
    For Martha
    Soot and Stars
    Blissed and Gone
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 07-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ no Dusty & Pistol Pete or Saturnine or Cash Car Star?!

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Cash Car Star is Machina-era song, what does it have to do with dream Adore tracklist?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    everything, seeing as it was played live on the adore tour.

ps- have a flac copy of the pisces bonus disc, looking for the first disc & the demo tape. if anyone can point me in the right direction, hit me with a PM.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 07-15-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Completely forgot about the PI reissue somehow.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Heavy stuff on Adore? Bitches be tripping.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is that Cash Car Star when they opened up for KISS on Halloween? I had that taped somewhere and watched it quite a bit.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    also: "Because You Are." there sure was a lot of material from Adore on Judas Ø...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Has the tape that comes with the PI reissue surfaced online yet?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yep, i have a copy of it. it sounds pretty great- though there are some errors on the intros/outros of the song. for example 'sun' has the intro to 'she' at the end, but the track fades in and the intro begins again on the next track. a lot of stupid errors on pisces this time around- a harsh digital skip in the first three seconds of 'pissant'- the same intro/outro issue on 'purr snickety' and bizarrely- a completely different vocal take/mix of 'plume' which while good, sort of fucks with continuity a bit...

pm me tonight and remind me to zip it up if you haven't found it by then. at work for the day.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    yep, content delivery to Topspin was botched pretty badly — besides the mistracking and glitching and disc 2 being significantly louder than disc 1, all the people who paid $20 for 24bit/96kHz can only have 24bit/44.1kHz instead (confirmed by B0lly). what a mess.

i'm still buying the gigantic MCIS box or whatever (everything, in fact), but i hope they smooth this all out before that is due.