Page 9 of 151 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Oh man, lucked out.

Bought the thing, then came home and learned about all the terrible issues on it. Hadn't opened it, debated on straight up returning it, then found out Amazon.ca's selling it for 14.99. Return and switch - fifteen bucks is worth the DVD alone to me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Went the digital route. Not noticing anything at all (even the touch ups on some of the songs). Pressing error on the CD's?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    listen closely to the intro of pissant, for the most obvious one. maybe they fixed it by now, but i'm reading a lot of the netphoria boards and it doesn't seem like there's a fix just yet. it's sutble in some, more noticeable in others, mostly heard in headphones and not on cranked up stereos.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Oh man, lucked out.

Bought the thing, then came home and learned about all the terrible issues on it. Hadn't opened it, debated on straight up returning it, then found out Amazon.ca's selling it for 14.99. Return and switch - fifteen bucks is worth the DVD alone to me.
    even with the $10 shipping to the US, i'm still saving almost $20 compared to what i'd be paying from regular amazon ($42). thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got my Pisces Iscariot box set and i'm quite pleased. i feel like i'm 10 years old again, listening to the only CD i own over and over on my shitty boom box.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    am i the only one who really likes "Why am I so Tired?" all fifteen minutes?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    am i the only one who really likes "Why am I so Tired?" all fifteen minutes?
    i was so sad when it ended abruptly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    despite the many complains, I am happy with the Pisces reissue.
    The DVD is great too (I miss seeing a hot D'arcy) and personally liked disc 2 very much.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was so sad when it ended abruptly.
    yesssssss! why did the tape have to run out

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    even with the $10 shipping to the US, i'm still saving almost $20 compared to what i'd be paying from regular amazon ($42). thanks for the heads up!
    No problem, glad to help!

This thing would have been nothing short of stellar if not for all the flaws that just add up. I seriously wonder what the hell happened with Plume (apparently, the download version was replaced with an original which had a simple volume boost applied to it - what the hell?)

Supposedly a 'fix' of some sort is in the works according to an admin over at the official board. Fingers crossed for some sort of replacement program.

I'm terrified as hell for the MCIS remaster, as that just so happens to rank up there with TDS and TF as my trinity of three favoritest albums evar.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The Gish and SD remasters were fine. They messed up this time. It happens. Still in high hopes for MCIS.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The setlist from last nights show in Perth australia was as follows:

Spoiler:
    OCEANIA full album in it's entirity top to bottom
    Space Oddity
    X.Y.U.
    Disarm
    Tonight, Tonight
    Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    Soot and Stars
    Today
    Cherub Rock
    Ava Adore
    Zero
    Black Diamond

Looks awesome! Can't wait for this show to hit North America.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Soot and Stars?!

*faints* - Oh wait, no European tour .

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...money-20120816

So Soundgarden, who have reunited with their classic line-up, are worse than SP who "reunited" first with 50%, and now 25% of their classic line-up. Sure Billy, sure. Keep drinking that jackass juice.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...money-20120816

So Soundgarden, who have reunited with their classic line-up, are worse than SP who "reunited" first with 50%, and now 25% of their classic line-up. Sure Billy, sure. Keep drinking that jackass juice.
    Billy is a dick, and I'm not a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. The stuff I've heard from the reunited Soundgarden is awful. At least there's something redeeming about some of the new Pumpkins material. And Corgan wrote and played most of the stuff on the pivotal Pumpkins albums. The Smashing Pumpkins were pretty much a one man band really.

Now, his jab at Pavement, I take issue with.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-19-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, Billy Corgan can only get publicity when he says something that this guy might say to the press. Like Jinsai said, I can't really disagree with him on Soundgarden, but I do think that there's a difference between cash-grab reunions like that one and the Pavement reunion, wherein most of the members are still active musicians who happened to reunite as a one-off lark.
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 08-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    To me there's a difference between keeping more or less the old line-up, and coming back with a new line-up but keeping the old name. Given BC's massive quality drop since the end of SP MK1, maybe those insignificant others weren't so insignificant after all. Helmet, for example, are also largely a one-man-band, with Page Hamilton taking the lion's share of writing and recording. However much I enjoy those comeback albums, I would have rather they'd been released under a new project name, which I believe was the original plan: one that succumbed to economic considerations. It's a sad truth, but a truth nonetheless: the old brand will sell more albums and tickets than a new name people are unfamiliar with, especially slightly older rock fans who are more out of the loop. I also understand a musician's dilemma: what do you do if you want to reform the band, but the other guys don't? Or you can't work with them anymore, or don't click musically? Personally I prefer artists to forge ahead with a new project under a new name: it shows more courage and convinction, and is just more exciting to me. Start a new band, do something fresh. To me there's something that feels a little dishonest about "reunions" involving original frontman+new backing band. Especially when that backing band is made up of kids (or fans) who you know are being paid much less (Filter, for example). If you're going to do a reunion, do it properly or not at all. But then again I'm not a musician and I don't need to face this dilemma to pay the rent: maybe my qualms about this are unfair and misplaced, and it's wrong to expect a musician to start at the bottom again because the other guys aren't into it anymore.

The new SG song I heard was pretty shitty: I'm not too fussed about them or their reunion one way or the other. But at least it's not Chris Cornell and The Three New Dudes. I don't understand how BC is in a position to talk shit about other reunions: Zwan and his solo career bombed, now he's back with "Smashing Pumpkins." And talking shit about other bands who are going about it arguably more tastefully than him. He comes across like an unself-aware hypocrite. I can't agree with his position at all, not coming from him.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's pretty obvious Soundgarden got back together for money, Matt was the only one who had a job drumming for Pearl Jam. Chris was doing his failing solo shit, Kim was underground, and Ben was sleeping on friends couches.
    Any why else do you make a single for one of the biggest summer action movies of the year?

The Avengers single was wrote after the album so I'm still hoping it's good.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Billy has no room to really judge anyone considering he's the only original member of his his "reformed" band. Haven't been impressed with new Soundgarden either. But seriously, at the end of the day, its about money. Billy was becoming irrelevant so he revived the pumpkins. Cash grab? Yeah, a little. But he doesn't need the money at this point. Billy wanted to be known again. Zwan and his solo album alienated some fans away. Commercially, he had to bring back the pumpkins.

In the end. No one's really innocent. Cornell needs to rebuild his image as well. Especially with his half-assed vocals in audioslave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Cornell needs to rebuild his image as well. Especially with his half-assed vocals in audioslave.
    Believe it or not, the SG forum is full of people (children) asking for more "Audioslave type songs" It's quite depressing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    SP are hitting my town and playing the show with visual effect created by Sean Evans, the guy that did the effects for Roger Waters on his most recent tour, cool!

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/oceania/

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The number of original members included in a band reunion tells you nothing about whether or not it's a "cash grab." That's a strange way to assess a band's creative motives. Plenty of original lineups have done cash grabs, and plenty of semi-original/semi-new lineups have done cool stuff.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    The number of original members included in a band reunion tells you nothing about whether or not it's a "cash grab." That's a strange way to assess a band's creative motives. Plenty of original lineups have done cash grabs, and plenty of semi-original/semi-new lineups have done cool stuff.
    It's not. I don't view it as a cash grab. I geniunely think he missed playing the songs, and figured how irrelevent he was becoming. I look at the Pumpkins like Swans. Reformed, but not the original lineup, and not completely replicating what the original band had done.

Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    Believe it or not, the SG forum is full of people (children) asking for more "Audioslave type songs" It's quite depressing.
    That just baffles me... His voice sounded shot and finished. Then I hear one of their reunion boots, and it turns out he actually still can hit those high notes afterall. Imagine my surprise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I feel like all the information available to fans on the internet actually does them a disservice. For one, it's just a medium through which to have a massive bitch fest for no apparent reason, but that's not news to any of you. The main problem is that it allows fans so much information about history, lineup, gear, sound, prior releases, etc etc. that it's possible to get very attached to a band that you find inspirational. Then when change happens, a portion of that attachment feels betrayed. And that's not really fair, because change is a necessary part of life....even for musicians. Style changes, musicians can go their separate ways, and sometimes the name of a big band needs to stay alive even if just for legacy's sake. That's the way life goes, really, and I think it's a lot more honest to accept changes as they come rather than immediately yell "cash grab!" That goes for people on here, and the same principle should hold true for Billy Corgan's whiny ass.

I enjoy the new SP way more than I do what I've heard so far of Soundgarden, but that really has nothing to do with what I'm trying to say.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Soundgarden suck anyway, so who cares?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Probably all the people who think soundgarden doesn't suck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Thing is, the bands ended mutually. They knew they were doing their final albums and saw the light at the end of the tunnel. Pumpkins went all out with the 3+ hour metro shows. That was a proper goodbye IMO. I think they ended it too early and was glad to see the pumpkins back. Musically. the newer stuff was weak (Zeitgeist). Billy tried to give the fans the album he thought they wanted, and it failed. My thing is to not drag the name and legacy in the mud. Which billy did (tear garden). I'm fine with fhe new band. I think they're pretty good and have much potential to improve from Oceania (which was an awesome album). If you're going to reform a band, do it right and dont go all left field, then act surprised if you catch flack for it.

I've heard only one new Soundgarden song and it was alright.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm surprised nobody posted the Canadian dates that came up the other day...

October 2 MTS Center, Winnipeg, MB
    October 4 Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB
    October 5 Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB
    October 7 Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
    October 25 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON
    October 28 Bell Centre, Montreal, PQ

The presale went on today for the above dates. I managed to Grab GA floor tickets to the Vancouver show. Pretty goddamn stoked!

There are 4 levels available.

Level 1 is your standard ticket into the Venue for $63-94 (This is what I chose)

Level 2 is Bronze level and it is $127.75 and gets you:
    a Premium Seat Ticket, an exclusive tour poster, an exclusive Smashing Pumpkins Tour Passport, a commemorative 3D laminate and a copy of Oceania, the new Smashing Pumpkins CD.

Level 3 is Gold level for $227.75 and gets you:
    a GA "Sandbar" ticket w/ viewing access, an exclusive autographed tour poster, an exclusive Smashing Pumpkins Tour Passport, an commemorative 3D laminate, a copy of Oceania the new Smashing Pumpkins CD and a On Site VIP Concierge.

Level 4 is Premier VIP package for a whopping $401.75 and includes:
    a Premium Seat Ticket, 3 song backstage performance (not songs from set that night), mini press conference (Q&A after Performance), an exclusive autographed tour poster, an exclusive Smashing Pumpkins Tour Passport, a commemorative 3D laminate, a copy of Oceania the new Smashing Pumpkins CD and a On site VIP Concierge.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'll be on the floor for the Toronto show, but fuck those VIP packages.

The only one worth getting is the premiere, it's actually a really cool collection of stuff, but not at the price, jesus christ. And I thought Maynard was bad!

I mean I expected high prices and the fans to take a hit this tour, what with the visuals and what not needing to recoup the funds, but come on that is just unreasonable.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I would pay that. But only if I was allowed to change before the backstage session so I could possibly have Billy singing Mayonaise while I'm sat there dressed as either a banana or Little Edie Beale from Grey Gardens.