Page 151 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 4553

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention that I seen them last week in Paris and had a blast. Atum/Cyr songs were not very good live IMO, but there were enough oldies and deep cuts to make up for that. Spoiler: Gossamer, Mayo and Shame were worth the price of admission.

Kiki was alright, but I can't shake the feeling that they got her to lure her IG fanbase onto their side too. I also don't get why they need Katie in the band right now... As far as I can tell she didn't play any keyboards, unlike the last time I saw the band (in 2019).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Finally gave a listen to their zoo station cover, cool version! I like how they made it theirs, very interesting.
    reminded me if their once in a lifetime cover too

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)

Last edited by october_midnight; 07-19-2024 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is the rock record. I think the one using the Gish guitar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My face is waiting to be melted off.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I don't have any faith that the production won't sound like ass. The thing about those early SP records is how drenched in fuzz they were.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    FWIW someone I do design work for sings backup on a few tracks and I’ve heard VERY short clips of those songs. They sound sorta like the last few albums, production-wise. Obviously the world’s smallest sample size but it is what it is. One of the clips I heard rocks pretty hard so I’m pumped, but drenched in fuzz it definitely was not lol.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So will this be released on CD? Wiki says it be be a vinyl only release.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    So will this be released on CD? Wiki says it be be a vinyl only release.
    Of course it will come out on CD, just a bit later. Even the Rubano Tapes got CD releases, despite them being treated as vinyl-only for the longest time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you can VPN to NZ, you can start listening to the new album.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...i_mei_release/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    After one listen, I'm prepared to say it's probably better than anything since Oceania, but it's no return to their heights. I still don't know what Billy is singing about half the time.

Sure as hell does sound like an actual band though. Parts of it sound weirdly like Tool.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Parts of it sound weirdly like Tool.
    I didn't listen to it yet, but people on reddit did report that it sounded at times "proggy", for lack of a better word. If so, that's good. I'd love a record full of tracks like Porcelina, Mary Star Of The Sea, Glass & The Ghost Children, Oceania etc.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Well, I love the first track (Edin), so it's off to a good start!

Edit: War Dreams of Itself is fantastic, too! I'm actually really liking this album so far. It's surprisingly heavy on a few of the tracks and it seems like an album that most of those disappointed in their last few albums should be more satisfied with.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 08-01-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I don't have any faith that the production won't sound like ass.
    I was right, lol. This first track's mastering sounds so smushed together yet uneven. Billy's vocals are way too close in the mix and he sounds too clean.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is actually... good?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is so fucking good. Oh my god.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just finished my first listen.

The guitars sound great and there are some pretty badass riffs. Someone mentioned Tool, and there are definitely a few Adam Jones-y moments.

My biggest problem with it was that there wasn’t a single lyric that resonated with me, nor a chorus/melody that’ll get stuck in my head. The lyrics that I could make out sounded like pretentious Billy-isms, and most of the vocals have a similar delivery. I don’t need to be screamed at, but a little gravel here and there would have worked wonders.

But the riffs? Yeah, there are some cool ones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Vinyl pre-order is up early!

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    I think it's cool enough... none of the songs are really sitting with me in a really memorable way, but it's not bad.

I can see the Tool thing that people are talking about. The song 999 actually sounds a lot like Sober in one part

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    This will work for background music in games. It sounds pretty damn good, but like many, I have nothing sticking the first listen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    2 bonus tracks on deluxe limited edition vinyl blablabla, here we go again...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I REALLY like that is sounds like they're jamming again to get new songs. The lyrics are terrible and anything post-Machina has not been very good on that front IMO.

Jimmy sounds neutered again, and the production sounds like usual (which is not good). It is promising for sure, and if they could fix those things I have mentioned I think they could have a fantastic album.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    The lyrics are terrible and anything post-Machina has not been very good on that front IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post
    The lyrics that I could make out sounded like pretentious Billy-isms
    I have been saying this for years. Bill's lyrics are the same veiled faux-poetry they have been since Oceania. And like...I'm not asking for music that speaks to wounded children anymore but the magic of peak SP was speaking to you in a way you really, really felt. And I can't feel anything from these lyrics when I can understand them. Billy has spoken about this, he keeps himself guarded now because he's never dealt well with criticism.

But he's still capable of it. Archer off Ogilala remains one of the loveliest things he's put to pen in recent years. If he could just open himself and let his guard down a bit, speak from the heart, I bet we'd have some really memorable stuff.

Anyway, as far as the music goes, I've got few complaints. Nothing is ever going to be SD or MCIS or your favorite album, or whatever, but it feels like they're really trying.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I have been saying this for years. Bill's lyrics are the same veiled faux-poetry they have been since Oceania. And like...I'm not asking for music that speaks to wounded children anymore but the magic of peak SP was speaking to you in a way you really, really felt. And I can't feel anything from these lyrics when I can understand them. Billy has spoken about this, he keeps himself guarded now because he's never dealt well with criticism.

But he's still capable of it. Archer off Ogilala remains one of the loveliest things he's put to pen in recent years. If he could just open himself and let his guard down a bit, speak from the heart, I bet we'd have some really memorable stuff.

Anyway, as far as the music goes, I've got few complaints. Nothing is ever going to be SD or MCIS or your favorite album, or whatever, but it feels like they're really trying.
    If Billy could take anyone being not a yes man it would work...but that will probably never happen.

I think if they (probably just him) took some time off from writing it would help.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    the magic of peak SP was speaking to you in a way you really, really felt. And I can't feel anything from these lyrics when I can understand them.
    Exactly!

"I fear that I am ordinary, just like everyone." That hits. Everyone has felt that way at some point. It resonates and pulls you into the song.

"Lift mine eyes in his stead. Trade on kings to play death and sate such grief coax faint breath. E-din fouls in our wake." Uh... yeah, man. Totally.

I'm not asking the dude to go all country music on us and make the lyrics insultingly easy to interpret and on the nose, but goddamn, there's got to be some sort of middle ground.
    Last edited by caca; 08-02-2024 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Edin is so other-worldly, I kind of felt let down listening to the rest of the album. However, after realizing it is more than a guitar album, it is fantastic. Who Goes There is great. I actually love this album and can’t wait until I see if live.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Overall I’m really liking this. As others have said the good old Billy word salad is a pain in the ass so lyrically the songs are…. Eh but musically it resonates with me and feels like the songs have a soul and take you on a journey.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Edin, Pentagrams, and 999 are the top winners for me currently. It's a good listen, word salad aside.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I love it. Yes, his voice is the same as it's been the last few albums, but this is the first time it's felt like a full band since Oceania, and this is definitely the best album since Monuments. Second listen today was better than the first...
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 08-05-2024 at 07:34 AM.