Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2014

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Wow, goosebumps. (As per usual with Hurt.)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    http://www.avclub.com/article/apple-...dr-dre--204459

Beats was founded in 2006 by Dre and producer Iovine. The sale would cover both the Beats headphone line and Beats Music streaming service, partially curated by Trent Reznor, which Forbes also speculates could be a major factor in Apple’s bid.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tim Cook is buying Beats because he just wants to be besties with Dre and Trent.

So now that Trent cashed in, does that mean that NIN/SG is cancelled? Lol

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

NIN-Spotting 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just for the hell of it I wondered where that gig was he said his security got beaten up by locals and I figured it must have been this show in 1991
    http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=853
    or this show at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1994
    http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=236
    King tuts meets the "low ceiling, grimy" description more than barrow lands IMHO

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    On the theme of covers, an a cappella version of Hurt by Eric Whiteacre

Also in a blog, he explains why he likes the NIN one more than the Johnny Cash one, which is an interesting read
    http://ericwhitacre.com/blog/hurt
    Hmmm. It sounded good in principle, but I just can't square it with what he said in that blog post: "There is something so raw and brave about singing the things Trent is singing and making sure it doesn’t sound beautiful or romantic but rather ugly and real. That single note insures that." I'm hearing too much beauty and romance, not enough ugly.

I don't have anything against beautiful choir music, but it's not my idea of Hurt. I'll take Trent or Johnny Cash over this.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    On the theme of covers, an a cappella version of Hurt by Eric Whiteacre

Ah, fuck me. I'm such a nerd for this type of shit. Ugh. Totally made me cry a little.

the simultaneous combination of lust and loathing
    That is the single best description of addiction that I've ever ran across. That... Yeah. those few words are fucking with me at the moment!
    Last edited by Sarah K; 05-09-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Tim Cook is buying Beats because he just wants to be besties with Dre and Trent.

So now that Trent cashed in, does that mean that NIN/SG is cancelled? Lol
    What are you smoking? The whole entire tour is already planned and tickets are being sold as we speak, why would Trent just cancel it all? First of all, it would be a huge loss of money. Do you have any idea how many refunds they would have to give out? Second of all, I don't think that Trent would just cancel an entire tour because of a buyout.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    What are you smoking? The whole entire tour is already planned and tickets are being sold as we speak, why would Trent just cancel it all? First of all, it would be a huge loss of money. Do you have any idea how many refunds they would have to give out? Second of all, I don't think that Trent would just cancel an entire tour because of a buyout.
    Dude, that was a joke

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Hmmm. It sounded good in principle, but I just can't square it with what he said in that blog post: "There is something so raw and brave about singing the things Trent is singing and making sure it doesn’t sound beautiful or romantic but rather ugly and real. That single note insures that." I'm hearing too much beauty and romance, not enough ugly.

I don't have anything against beautiful choir music, but it's not my idea of Hurt. I'll take Trent or Johnny Cash over this.
    i'm not at all a choral music expert, and i can see what you're saying, but i can definitely hear the dissonance in this version, too, coming from the tritone mentioned said in the blog. (i think it's pretty clear at the end of the piece since it's so abnormal to end that way.) . . . i think the issue is that the choir version is constrained in terms of vocal expression. i mean, the harmonic tension can be written into the arrangement pretty easily, but maybe it's not so easy for a group of people (following whatever limitations of the chorale tradition) to really be "real". i guess it'd be more fair to compare this performance to other choral music in the same concert or whatever . . i mean, maybe it really does stick out as particularly unbeautiful in the proper context.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Amongst the vocalists and composers I know, Eric Whitacre is kind of a joke - a joke who has made a lot of money. Not quite the Thomas Kinkade of vocal music, but kind of along that spectrum. You should have seen the look of disgust on my wife's face when I told her he was doing Hurt. One of the first pieces of music she published online was actually a jokey madrigal version of Closer, which kicked off Know the Score. These days she and . I borrow heavily from her opinions on choral interpretations of Nine Inch Nails music.

On the bright side: More exposure for what may be TR's pinnacle of songwriting, to crowds of people that probably are not familiar with his work, and those performances will provide a little bump in his ASCAP or BMI checks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i'm not at all a choral music expert, and i can see what you're saying, but i can definitely hear the dissonance in this version, too, coming from the tritone mentioned said in the blog. (i think it's pretty clear at the end of the piece since it's so abnormal to end that way.) . . . i think the issue is that the choir version is constrained in terms of vocal expression. i mean, the harmonic tension can be written into the arrangement pretty easily, but maybe it's not so easy for a group of people (following whatever limitations of the chorale tradition) to really be "real". i guess it'd be more fair to compare this performance to other choral music in the same concert or whatever . . i mean, maybe it really does stick out as particularly unbeautiful in the proper context.
    You could have a point there, but I dunno. I think the performers were a big part of my problem with it — they got the song even less than Whitacre did (though that could have been his fault too).

Levianthant's wife would have been a big improvement.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I want this shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    "I don't care if this is too vulnerable, or I don't care if you might laugh at this. I don't care if this doesn't fit what somebody on the internet thinks Nine Inch Nails should sound like. Tough shit."
    That's the right thought. I don't like what TR has been doing since Fragile, but that's just my opinion as a fan. I can honestly pick one or at max two songs each album that I really like, I really dig. In HM the only "acceptable" song for me is "Various Methods of Escape", for example. I think songs like Hurt and Something I Can Never Have are the most vulnerable things he wrote. So I don't understand he saying that he wasn't true to himself before Fragile.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Good article...with some very interesting Ask Trent answers.

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/fea...s_trent_reznor

not sure if serious...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Another turn up for the book. Ricky Martin is a fan
    https://twitter.com/ricky_martin/sta...79484015677440

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Another turn up for the book. Ricky Martin is a fan
    https://twitter.com/ricky_martin/sta...79484015677440
    Well, he's into superstition, black cats and voodoo dolls, probably right up his street

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Well, he's into superstition, black cats and voodoo dolls, probably right up his street
    I see what you did there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I want this shirt.
    Me too! I made quite a loud "squee" noise when I browsed this on IG the other day. Kinda awkies because I was on the train.

Haven't seen it before though, any idea if it's a tour shirt for the Europe leg or?

Never mind, just saw it in the Merch thread. I want!
    Last edited by ophelia_; 05-12-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: derp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peasha View Post
    I don't fancy giving a site I've never heard of my details, what's the link?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Great, now I'll have that song stuck in my head all day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I found a few things I haven't seen here before on Youtube, including another interview with Rebecca Makonnen. Please let me know if these have been posted before.

<-----(There is a Part 2 to this one as well; look in the Related Videos.)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That second one got posted about a month ago; never seen the first

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Just a quick name drop at the beginning of this article:

http://www.spin.com/articles/soundga...album-concert/

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Very small spotting from AlphaOmegaSin and The Game Chasers (those that follow video games might know these guys).
    at 5:20 goes on for about 40 seconds. Funny thing is, Billy was like "it's funny you bring up Nine Inch Nails" but in fact, nobody DID bring up Nine Inch Nails, lol.
    They briefly talk about their favorite album and songs.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    5:33 "yeah...nine inch nails..the downward spiral...thats the good album"
    5:40 "my favorite nine inch nails song is head line a hole, not closer like 'oh closer is so good!' yeah i'm glad you heard that on the radio"
    5:54 "The perfect drug is a really good song to fuck to"

LOL OK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    http://radio.com/2014/05/12/intervie...ch-nails-tour/

nothing major but NIN is mentioned.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://russellmills.com/russell_mills/shop/

£300 (that's ~$500 for you yankee types) and you can have a signed print of the NIN logo. I'm totally against obscene pricing like this but I want that feminine silver

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Was eyeing off the Feminine Silver one as well... Absolutely no way I would pay that much for it though. $300, yes. £300, no.