Thread: NIN-Spotting 2014

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Well, shit!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Nerdist: Top 10 Movie Soundtracks Of The Year

Gone Girl
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have been knocking it out of the park with the film scores for David Fincher movies, from their Oscar-winning collab on The Social Network to their Grammy-winning compositions for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. In Fincher’s newest film, their tinny tone-based music works equally well in the most effed up of mysteries involving a woman who may or may not have been murdered by someone who may or may not have been her husband whom she may or may not have been afraid of. That sort of obfuscation is key to Reznor and Ross’s score.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    My Spanish is so-so but from what I read, I'm not buying it. I don't think Trent would do anything without Atticus. TR + AR = 4everssssssssssssss.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Ghosts was used in the opening minutes of this incredible talk by Jacob Appelbaum and Laura Poitras
    http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/...ras.html#video

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    My Spanish is so-so but from what I read, I'm not buying it. I don't think Trent would do anything without Atticus. TR + AR = 4everssssssssssssss.
    Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    It was basically an April Fool's joke. In Latin America and in Spain, Dec. 28 is The Day of the Innocents.

"In Latin America and in Spain it is customary to carry on this date jokes of all kinds. The media make jokes or misrepresent its content so that the information appears real. It is a freedom that media agents are given to unleash your sense of humor, an opportunity that only have once a year. It is tradition that newspapers publish full pages of comic news, with the caveat that it is April Fools Day, ranging from those that are an obvious mockery of any recent event, until they seem serious and deceive the unwary reader. The day of the innocent lives across the Spanish-speaking world."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "Me, I'm Not" was featured in the 2nd part of Top Gear ​as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has been posted already. Did a search and nothing came up. February 2015 issue of Guitar World. For Dimebag fans, the article and song can be heard here http://www.guitarworld.com/dimebag-d...-transcription

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted already. Did a search and nothing came up. February 2015 issue of Guitar World. For Dimebag fans, the article and song can be heard here http://www.guitarworld.com/dimebag-d...-transcription
    What's the spotting?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    What's the spotting?
    His shirt. Minor spotting.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    What's the spotting?

Dimebag's T shirt!!!

my fave guitarist of all time.

EDIT: beat me to it

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ive got an old issue of Metal Hammer with a pix of him live with that shirt on, Ill dig it out sometime and scan it.

Thats cool, ive been listening to Pantera boots lately. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Shit, iirc I read the Patton/Reznor rumor in the Gone Girl's score thread a few days ago and now that website even had a quote of Patton saying how happy he was to collaborate with Trent and I totally bought it until I realized it was just a joke in the same vein of April's Fool day. :-/

Now, my spotting:

http://www.alternativenation.net/is-...till-relevant/

NIN is not grunge, but I guess they decided to include all of the alternative big bands from the 90s. They are very positive about NIN, so it's ok, I guess.

Also, I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I use to watch The Vampire Diaries/The Originals episodes with a female friend of mine and this week we just watched the last few episodes and in them a couple of characters are stuck in an alternative dimension where everyday is a repeated day from May of 1994 and they are constantly using music from those times and in one of the last episodes one of the main protagonists is looking for music to play and he finds cds of "Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails". Also I googled "NIN+Vampire Diarires" to see if somebody in the interwebs commented the NIN reference in that episode and I found out that the guy playing that same character is going to direct an episode of the show for the first time and it will be called "The Downward Spiral", I guess it's not related to the NIN's album, although a conceptual episode with teenage vampires dancing to TDS's music could be hilarious.
    Last edited by Vic; 12-31-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Ive got an old issue of Metal Hammer with a pix of him live with that shirt on, Ill dig it out sometime and scan it.

Thats cool, ive been listening to Pantera boots lately. Good stuff.
    its probably the same one that's in RS 100 greatest guitarists I bet. Quick google search should find it.

edit: here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...rrell-20111215

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    its probably the same one that's in RS 100 greatest guitarists I bet. Quick google search should find it.

edit: here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...rrell-20111215
    Yup thats it. Here was another classic from my younger days...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Came across an interview with Jared Louche (Chemlab, Prude, h3llb3nt, Altered Statesmen, Pigface) talking about the Chemlab / NIN Now I'm Nothing tour in '91, as well as a bizarre story about playing "dead rat soccer" with TR at the 930 Club in Washington, DC :

"The 930 club’s dressing rooms were pretty rough, like many, and not the freshest in the country. Nail’s manager, a sweet character named Marc O, discovered a dead rat jammed, or stuck, down between the cushions of one of the banquette sofas in their dressing room. As I was where the buck stopped that night he brought it upstairs to my attention. I thought this was going to be “an issue”, but Marc O seemed to think it was hilarious, and at that moment Trent wandered past us. Marc O flipped the rat at him and Trent jumped, instinctively kicking the rat back at us. We all laughed and I kicked the rat back Trent’s way. For the next fifteen minutes we played Dead Rat Soccer in the hallways of the club, the slate-stiff rodent’s body skittering wildly over the lino and the three of us laughing like complete fools. Deeply real, refreshing and hilarious. That’s when Trent and I first got properly acquainted and soon became friends."

The interview is lengthy but you can scroll down for the NIN-bit :

http://8-bit-dreamland.tumblr.com/po...ared-louche-of