Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Isnt this one supposed to involve a cult as well?
    Yes. Official plot synopsis:

The second season of True Detective will follow the death of Ben Caspar, the corrupt City Manager of a fictional California city who’s found brutally murdered amidst a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal that would forever change the freeway gridlock in California. Three law enforcement officers from different cities and branches of the government are tasked with finding out who did it. They soon discover their investigation has much broader and darker implications than they initially thought. Caspar’s 52-year-old corpse is found on a lonely stretch of the PCH near Big Sur — his eye burned out, genitals cut off and satanic symbols etched on his chest. It turns out he had a penchant for rough sex and may have been involved in the Occult.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Apparently they removed the occult theme
    http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/video...#ixzz3ZZOPyElK

"True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto told Medium that he has removed the occult element to the show's second season. "That was a comment from very early in the process , and something I ended up discarding in favor of closer character work and a more grounded crime story," he said. "The complexity of the historical conspiracy first conceived detracted from the characters and their reality, I felt, and those characters are ultimately what have to shape the world and story.""
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 05-08-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Pretty good premiere. Might have to watch it again though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Not as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but I didn't like as much as any of last seasons episodes. Something feels off and the dialogue is a bit iffy. A lot of people don't like intro song, but I didn't mind it. Leonard Cohen is fitting, but they probably could have picked a better song.

Spoiler: The way the body was found was absolutely terrible. He was going 100 mph, yet he stopped so suddenly? I usually don't complain about things like that, but that was jarring. Plus, that look all three of them gave each other at the end was incredibly cheesy. Like something you'd see out of NCIS.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Thought that was Cohen. Vaughn seemed a little dull. And the girl cop (can't remember her name) was kinda meh. Cliche daddy issues. Farrell nailed it though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, this is a rocky start for sure. True Detective succeded with a focus on two characters and their relationship. They were constantly together from the begining, and the lead they were o. Was clear as day from the start.

Here we have four characters, with their own periphery relationships all just about to get started by the end of the first episode. Very scattered.

I find Justin Lin a strange choice in director too. Why change the director at all? But then give a show known for it's intelligence and intimacy to a guy best known for the Fast and Furious movies? Ok...

The characters are interesting enough, if not a bit too abundant and cliche. i feel like the structure of the show might work with 3 of these characters, with 4 there's always one i feel like ive forgotten about.

The show picked up a bit towards the end. Putting Vaughn and Farrel in the same room made the show feel focused for a moment, and ultimately i was left wondering what happens next. Though fron reviews im left to expect that this episode is pretty representive of the first half of the show. We will see how it goes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    First episode of 1st season intrigued me a lot more, BUT I think it was okay.

I really don't like that they dropped the mysticism and occult stuff that was such a big part of the first season. This is what I loved the most about True Detective, the amazing atmosphere. This feels very different and not that interesting to be honest. Also I think this episode could be a little more focused. I wasn't exactly sure what was the point of half of the plot points in this episode, and I honestly don't remember any of the characters name besides Ray.

I'm far from judging the season after one episode though, after all, the first season really grabbed me only after 3rd or 4th episode.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Didn't really like the episode, it was all over the place. I know it's only the first episode but it seemed like nothing in it was connected. Hopefully it gets better as it goes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Didn't really like the episode, it was all over the place. I know it's only the first episode but it seemed like nothing in it was connected. Hopefully it gets better as it goes.
    Same here. I know it's supposed to have a different vibe than the first season, but after watching the first episode last season, I was absolutely hooked. If I had seen this without any context, I probably wouldn't watch any further episodes. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and keep watching.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    We actually really dug it, though pretty much agree with what everyone here has already said. A bit all over the place, but I have faith...I hope, lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Same here. I know it's supposed to have a different vibe than the first season, but after watching the first episode last season, I was absolutely hooked. If I had seen this without any context, I probably wouldn't watch any further episodes. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and keep watching.

YEah that.

Everything was good. I am still not convinced with Vince Vaughn... and the part at the end where they're all looking at one another was a little odd.

That brass knuckles scene was sweet.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I like the fact that it is all over the place. The first season, you were able to get a bit more engaged with the characters because it was pretty much just two main roles with two story arcs. With the second season, You have multiple characters that each have something very intriguing that makes you want to know more about them and what they have or are going through. It is really refreshing seeing Vince Vaughn in a serious role compared to what he has been doing all these years. I think his character will blossom more as the season goes on because he is already shown he is a shady figure. I actually enjoyed the scene at the end when they were all linked with Casper and they all gave that look to each other... kind of like what the audience is thinking "What is going to happen from here". Plus, I love the intro to this season wayyy more than last. Thumbs up so far .

Edit: Reallllly dug the scene in the bar with Farrell and Vaughn with the way the camera was right in their faces... awesome shooting right there.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I feel like people are just trying to find reasons to talk shit on Season 2 because their pissy that it's not the same as Season 1. I thought this first episode of Season 2 was fucking great. It wasn't confusing, and was coherent to me, I found all of the performances to be absolutely riveting (especially Farrell's who is somehow more fucked up than either of the two leads in the previous season) and I loved the vibe of it. I barely found anything I didn't like about that episode.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feels like Twin Peaks (not a bad thing).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

True Detective

Having to introduce all those characters in the first episode made it all a bit contrived. I'm hoping that Taylor Kritch's character actually has more of a purpose to the story then Spoiler: just discovering the body. He has a more mysterious darkness than Colin Farrell's character. Colin definitely played that one well though- angry, violent, and his own worst enemy.

I'm also hoping that they explore Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell's friendship more. Seriously, they are friends.

*next, I'll commit to memory the actual character names :P

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Feels like Twin Peaks (not a bad thing).
    my wife and i thought so too!

i'm expecting it to be really good, and @richardp , I agree with you.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I also believe people WANT to hate it and yeah, I thought it was great! Feels like David Lynch and Michael Mann made a show together.
    Tonight's episode? Holy shit, I wasn't expecting that at all!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Rewatched the first episode before watching the new one. It grew on me. Maybe i'm just now accepting how different it is from the first season. And yeah, I didn't see that outcome happening at all...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Holy shit at that ending. That came completely out of left field. Spoiler: It's like when they killed Ned on GOT.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Haha, and i was worried when i saw colin farrell on the billing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I also believe people WANT to hate it
    I can see that, it does feel like a much different show when compared to season 1.

that being said, this season is off to a very interesting start & I want to see where it all goes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I still feel like something is missing. Can't put my finger on it though. As for last night. Spoiler: they never mentioned that ray died in the trailer. Only shot. So maybe he survives. Plus, there's scenes from the trailers that hasn't happened yet. Always a possibility that those teasers could've been made to throw us off, and he's legit dead.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I still feel like something is missing. Can't put my finger on it though. As for last night. Spoiler: they never mentioned that ray died in the trailer. Only shot. So maybe he survives. Plus, there's scenes from the trailers that hasn't happened yet. Always a possibility that those teasers could've been made to throw us off, and he's legit dead.
    Spoiler: Two shot gun blasts to the torso at close range, man I don't think he's coming back from that any time soon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Spoiler: Two shot gun blasts to the torso at close range, man I don't think he's coming back from that any time soon.
    Spoiler: Could that scene have been a flash forward to the season finale episode?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    He double tapped! First time, i didnt think he was gonna make it, and then he gets right up to him and double taps... So...

And then theres all that trailer stuff. Super pame if they waste this twist. Otherwise theyre freeing up some much needed narrative space.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Some people are saying because it was buckshot. But I dunno. The fact that he shot the second time to the chest, I would think he's dead. But who knows? The teaser for next week never explicitly said he died though, just shot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well if they really killed him of, props to them for doing something unexpected, but it would also mean that they get rid off the only characters I find somehow interesting and I did care about.. so. I don't know how I feel about that

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    If he is alive, i will feel so fucking cheated. The show is already a bit crippled but fudging that ending would be a coup de gras.