Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    They also played The Anniversary when dude was working the hookers.
    oooh what song!? i love that band!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    They also played The Anniversary when dude was working the hookers.
    Wasn't that Set Us Free by Black Mountain?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I finally got caught up and watched all three episodes so far - And I gotta say, I'm glad Ray's alive, but like everyone else, I kinda wish they'd either done that differently or just actually killed him off. My jaw hit the floor after episode 2, and I spent the first half of episode 3 just being pissed that they even did that. Commit to killing a character - it has SO much more staying power when there's some finality. Now I feel like he HAS to survive the entire season, and even if he gets his head cut clean off his body, I'll be stuck second-guessing THAT, because maybe the killer actually cut it off with round-tip safety scissors or some shit and he's actually totally okay. Bleh.

Other than that, I'm really liking this season so far. Vince and Colin killing it, and although the characters don't have the depth that Rust and Marty, they hold up well enough on their own for the first three episodes. I love the way they're slowly revealing all of these flaws in the characters that are supposed to be perceived as "heroes" for the city, too - all with their own conflicts and hypocrisies and demons. Now we just need to bring in a little more of the creepy occult shit and the ball's really gonna start rolling. And has anyone mentioned how fucking PERFECT this song is for this season? Hell, I'd almost say I like season 2's music more than season 1.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    Wasn't that Set Us Free by Black Mountain?
    Yeah, I watched it today right after I woke up. You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oooh what song!? i love that band!
    Sorry to get you excited, in my haze I was totally thrown thinking it was them.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 07-07-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

True Detective

I'm really liking Vince Vaughn. I knew he had it in him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah my wife and I are probably the only ones among our friends who are really loving this season so far...our friends can't stand it, and are always saying 'We're still waiting for Vince Vaughn to break out a joke.' I've always loved Vaughn and knew he could pull this off. That fight scene was crazy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    'We're still waiting for Vince Vaughn to break out a joke.'.
    We could have said the same about Matt and Woody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a fan of this season yet. I can't understand why they'd go with different directors for different episodes? Is there any good reason? How could you possibly even come close to what they did with season 1 when they don't have a cohesive atmosphere throughout the whole season?

Thank God the director of the first two episodes is done now, though. The third one was miles better.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Really loving this season so far. It's way darker than the first season and has a very Lynchian noir atmosphere to it.
    I'm with you, and so is the wife.

We watched twin peaks not too long ago, and it really seems to be an influence-a good influence.

Haven't caught the third one yet, but the first two were bad ass. I just love the vibe, the mood, the FEEL of the thing. And although it seems to be a little bit "all over the place," i am expecting it to focus more and more moving forward.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Donald Trump's favorite episode

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow, Season 2's 4th episode was trying so hard to be like Season 1's amazing 4th episode...
    Just nowhere near as awesome as the last 10-15 minutes of Season 1's 4th episode.
    Season 2 is ok so far... some pretty good acting, but don't feel as drawn in to the characters and setting.
    I'm sorry, but the writing, directing, and acting of its first season can not be matched.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was definitely supposed to land a lot better than it did. But this was the most plodding, pointless and scattered episode yet, and wouldnt be surprised if even that got brushed off the shoulder in the next one. The writing is getting worse, actually the exposition more obvious, the writers attempts at poetic language more cringeworthy... Just let your characters talk like real people, they arent all just different speakers for your voice to come out of.

That whole firefight made no sense, the set up was weak, the red shirting of characters was weak. The directing and spacial control was weak. Fuck.

Im basically still watching only on principle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I thought that was the best episode so far, no idea how you can say it was a pointless episode when you don't know what happens next.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Yeah, that was definitely supposed to land a lot better than it did. But this was the most plodding, pointless and scattered episode yet, .
    Which is exactly how I've felt about every piece of material David Lynch has put out. Though, even with him I felt like he was paying homage to Hitchcock. Dam film school geeks!

EDIT: This person agrees with you
    Last edited by Dra508; 07-13-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    While I think some of this is reaching a bit, I found it interesting after watching last night's episode.

Why Season 2 is the same as Season 1.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The music fits the show incredibly well. I'm still split on Velcoro being shot. In a show like this, you need to go all the way or not at all. At the same time, i'm relieved his character survived. Favorite character of the show so far. Frank is creeping up though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    While I think some of this is reaching a bit, I found it interesting after watching last night's episode.

Why Season 2 is the same as Season 1.
    Yeah, finding a few minor namesake details does not make something the same as something else...

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Boo hoo

Another nobody internet blogger who thinks she's a subject matter expert bitching about what's good and not good. Seriously, a "professional critic" -- whether it's books, movies, music, art, etc. -- has to be the biggest fucking joke I've ever heard. It's nothing more than some dillhole who isn't capable of creating something of their own, so they feel they have this right to tell multitudes of others what they should and shouldn't be into.

I love how she uses these big, verbose paragraphs to try and exemplify how hip to the suck she is when it comes to True Detective. Maybe when people stop over-analyzing everything, they'll learn to just enjoy things for what they are, and appreciate the fact that an artist's work is their own...and is only for them unless stated otherwise...and until the person criticizing the artist's work can create something groundbreaking of their own, they should really just commit themselves to shutting the fuck up

Excuse me while I go try to create something of my own..

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'm really into the 2nd season but I do have to echo the statement that the first one just set the bar too high. If you don't compare it to the first season, it's still been pretty awesome so far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I catched myself checking e-mails while "watching" latest episode yesterday... not good...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Boo hoo

Another nobody internet blogger who thinks she's a subject matter expert bitching about what's good and not good. Seriously, a "professional critic" -- whether it's books, movies, music, art, etc. -- has to be the biggest fucking joke I've ever heard. It's nothing more than some dillhole who isn't capable of creating something of their own, so they feel they have this right to tell multitudes of others what they should and shouldn't be into.

I love how she uses these big, verbose paragraphs to try and exemplify how hip to the suck she is when it comes to True Detective. Maybe when people stop over-analyzing everything, they'll learn to just enjoy things for what they are, and appreciate the fact that an artist's work is their own...and is only for them unless stated otherwise...and until the person criticizing the artist's work can create something groundbreaking of their own, they should really just commit themselves to shutting the fuck up

Excuse me while I go try to create something of my own..
    I think that is a really weird assumption, that people with constructive or negative criticisms about this show or others havent done anything creative on their own...

And its not that I am actively looking for something wrong with it. In this case especially, i mostly know i dont like it, but im sticking around trying to find what I do like about it. And there are things, but the last episode just felt particularly like a chore.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    the shooting thing just raises more questions, like why have a shotgun loaded with non lethal rounds? why merely incapacitate the cop? was the shotgun in the house all along, or something the shooter brought with them?
    Perhaps the house is a place where people go for hunter/hunted role playing. There's an assortment of animal masks on the wall, and the walls have soundproofing. Perhaps it's just a bizarre fetish to be shot.

What I find interesting, is Rick Springfield plays Dr. Irving Pitlor in episode 1. Unusual casting to have someone like this in one episode. I have a feeling we'll see more of him.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    What I find interesting, is Rick Springfield plays Dr. Irving Pitlor in episode 1. Unusual casting to have someone like this in one episode. I have a feeling we'll see more of him.
    I feel they already have with Lolita Davidovich and David Morse.

I did not recognize Rick Springfield at first. The voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't place him for a bit.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i'm ggoin to give it till the end of the season but so far it's a slightly below average cop drama. Nothing like the first season. Hopefully by that changes soon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    colin farrell with no leash is much more persuasive

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "That's...DETECTIVE." Very cringeworthy writing this season...although it's at least keeping me entertained.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    "That's...DETECTIVE." Very cringeworthy writing this season...although it's at least keeping me entertained.

Things are moving so slow. Whenever there is any actual detective work, and development in the case they switch back to Frank having pointless conversation with his wife or Notebook having some pointless conversation with her sister. This show feels like being stuck in traffic, moving up 50 feet and then coming to a dead stop again. Nick Pizza Gellato DOES NOT write like people talk.

+1 for the scene with Rich Springfield.
    Last edited by mfte; 07-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is the best episode of the season so far.