Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Opeth

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, the new album is pretty good. The singles had me pretty hyped, but in the end it seems basically on par with the last few albums... which is great, but I expected something a little different this time. The new Borknagar, on the other hand, blew me away.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    So, the new album is pretty good. The singles had me pretty hyped, but in the end it seems basically on par with the last few albums... which is great, but I expected something a little different this time. The new Borknagar, on the other hand, blew me away.
    My thoughts exactly, not even asking for death metal but it would be nice to change things up a little more, that is now 4 similar albums in a row. I will try borknagar now...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I've been enjoying both versions of the latest album on repeat. There is not a 10/10 song on this album, but the entire thing is the most solid they've put out in this style yet.

I would take an entire "jazz" album in the style of "The Garroter".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I adore All Things Will Pass. I think In Cauda Venenum is on par with Pale Communion and a step up from Sorceress.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There was this one summer back home from college where I got super into Opeth. It was right before Heritage came out. I took a job mowing lawns and I would always choose to do my work during the hottest part of the day, and I would just blast Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park and Watershed to no end. There was something really fitting about listening to that music over the roar of the lawnmower, all while sweating my ass off in this terrible sunlight. I felt like this stubborn ball of dark energy that just refused to acknowledge any sunlight whatsoever. Then once fall hit I got more into their back catalog and Still Life managed to take the title of favorite Opeth album away from Ghost Reveries, which I never thought would be possible. I hardly listened to any metal back then, other than Tool, and it just felt like this whole world opening up to me. I loved it. I felt like Opeth was about to be one of my all time favorites...

Then Heritage came out and I was so disappointed. It's no so much that I hated the stylistic change, but more just that the songs didn't do much of anything for me. I couldn't get any of it stuck in my head; I struggled to remember what any of the songs even sounded like. I've basically felt the same way about each of the albums to follow, and it's weird, because I absolutely love stuff like King Crimson and Steven Wilson's proggiest efforts... The idea of Folk-Prog Opeth is one that I love, but it's just something that's never translated into reality for whatever reason. I keep going back to Sorceress, Communion, and Heritage because there's just this vague feeling like it's really good music but I simply "don't get it" and as of yet there's been no real payoff. I think it's something about how the guitars just sound kind of like a generic hard rock to me.. the music is lacking some sort of edge that I look for in all the music. And yet I get that there's something pretty daring about such an established death metal band changing their sound like this. It's weird, because the music feels both adventurous and like, not adventurous at all at the same time. It's strange to listen to and winds up leaving me with a bland effect... If anyone who loves these albums could explain what it is that makes them special I'd really appreciate it. There might be some element or technical aspect I'm overlooking-lyrics... drumming... who knows. I just want to like these albums, dammit!

I listened to the new (albeit not super closely, since I was at work) the other day, and I found myself really enjoying bits of it, but it still didn't strike me as anything particularly special. The first single was awesome but I have this hunch it's the best track on here by a decent margin... I really want to love this band again, and that's basically the feeling I've had every time I've listened to any of their music these past couple years. I guess maybe I need to start mowing lawns again...?
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 09-28-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'll give this new record a chance soon since I am a big fan, but I was not as taken with Sorceress as I was with the earlier records, and even Heritage and Pale Communion.

I think Mikael should do a solo album, just to put his foot in the water and see what he comes up with. It's essentially what I hoped the Storm Corrosion record would be, but he didn't sing on as much of it as I would have liked. It's still a fantastic record, but I was slightly disappointed on that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album is better than the previous 3, though I dislike them all, especially the abomination that is Heritage.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I love heritage, I think it's one of their absolute best, but for some reason I've been Luke warm on the following three, which feel almost interchangeable to me. A few highlights on each, none especially memorable.

I'm baffled because the style would seemingly excite and interest me, but unfortunately it feels like they have kind of a shallow bag of tricks here, and they blew them on heritage. None of it's bad... Per se. I altogether often forget the last two even exist.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    The first single was awesome but I have this hunch it's the best track on here by a decent margin... I really want to love this band again, and that's basically the feeling I've had every time I've listened to any of their music these past couple years. I guess maybe I need to start mowing lawns again...?
    You don't have to force yourself to like "new" Opeth. I have always had a warm spot for 70's prog, so it's been an easy jump for me. There's no denying the first 7-9 Opeth albums had a brutal beauty to them.

As far as strength of the tracks from the latest album, I'd say the first half is the weakest. "Charlatan" through "All Things Will Pass" are where it's at.

Also, in response to others in the thread, I honestly don't understand the hate for Heritage. It's still my favorite from this era, although Pale Communion is a stronger album overall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gotta say I've listened to it a few times but I can't let go of the death metal past. I like a few tunes but in those days I liked a larger majority of the tunes. It somehow seemed more unique than today's Opeth.

His death metal growls sound really awful live currently, so maybe it's for the best.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Gotta say I've listened to it a few times but I can't let go of the death metal past. I like a few tunes but in those days I liked a larger majority of the tunes. It somehow seemed more unique than today's Opeth.

His death metal growls sound really awful live currently, so maybe it's for the best.
    Are you going to tell us this for the next album as well? May as well go ahead because that one won't have growls either. Neither will the follow-ups. What are we in now, the fourth album since growls? Sorry to be an ass but jesus h. fucking christ it never ends....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Are you going to tell us this for the next album as well? May as well go ahead because that one won't have growls either. Neither will the follow-ups. What are we in now, the fourth album since growls? Sorry to be an ass but jesus h. fucking christ it never ends....
    I know I'm being "that guy" but that's just how I feel. I've bought every CD first day out since Deliverance, but not this one. There are better pseudo prog bands out there.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I found myself listening to watershed yesterday thinking, "hey this is some pretty great metal, they can easily go back if they wanted"

And then I realized watershed is 11 years old and this is like the fourth prog album. Luke I said I love heritage but each album after that has a decreasing number of songs for me to patch onto. But the ones that stand out really stand out. Dignity, Chrysalis, Goblin...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So after a week of good thorough listening, I must say that this new album is gripping and amazing. I fucking adore it. It is a masterpiece. That is all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Okay a bit more.. Continuum into All Things Will Pass is just fucking mindblowing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    New album is interesting, but definitely not the best post-Watershed album (that's definitely Pale Communion). Is it just my headset, or is the audio a bit muddy on this album? Because at least the drums sound like they've been pushed a bit further into the back of the mix compared to PC (and to a lesser extent, Heritage). Even the vocals aren't as clear as usual. It it is a bit muddy, it's probably supposed to be, but it works better in smaller doses (making this album feel about 10-20 minutes too long). Even though none of the songs are over ten minutes long (though most of them are over six minutes), they songs still tend to drag a bit because they're a bit faster and more complex for complexity's sake. The complexity of Opeth songs is part of what got me into the band in the first place, but on this album it feels like they're not as focused and even a bit anticlimactic at times (even compared to PC's "Moon Above, Sun Below", which is almost 11 minutes long and feels like a medley of several unfinished songs, but eventually reaches a powerful climax that makes it worth the trip). Again, I don't hate the new album, but feels like they've gotten lost in the prog territory.

Unrelated: I'm a little annoyed that they've announced a US tour (including two NYC shows) at the most inconvenient time for me (personal reasons). Though it's probably going to be mostly newer songs. Recent shows had them playing only a handful of growl songs, though it's probably justified by Mikael losing his growl a bit (compare "Demon of the Fall" from 2006 to "Demon" from 2017).
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 10-14-2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: It apparently automatically embeds YouTube videos when I tried to just link them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After a month or so of listening, this has become my favorite album of 2019. Pale Communion was the best of the post-Watershed records, but In Cauda Venenum has grown into my favorite. It has more satisfying moments than perhaps any other but the album is also very well-written. I keep coming back to it after a few-days reprieve. Seems to be on constant rotation the most right now along with Bad Religion's Age of Reason and Nick Cave's Ghosteen.

Edit: Anyone got tickets for the upcoming North American tour? I am fortunate enough to have scored tickets to see them at the famous Ryman Auditorium. Hoping they take advantage of the amazing sound quality and film or at least record it.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    After a month or so of listening, this has become my favorite album of 2019. Pale Communion was the best of the post-Watershed records, but In Cauda Venenum has grown into my favorite. It has more satisfying moments than perhaps any other but the album is also very well-written. I keep coming back to it after a few-days reprieve. Seems to be on constant rotation the most right now along with Bad Religion's Age of Reason and Nick Cave's Ghosteen.

Edit: Anyone got tickets for the upcoming North American tour? I am fortunate enough to have scored tickets to see them at the famous Ryman Auditorium. Hoping they take advantage of the amazing sound quality and film or at least record it.
    I'm enjoying this one every few days as well.

My wife bought tickets to see Opeth on Valentine's Day in Chicago. But shhh, that's a surprise Christmas present I know nothing about.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Though it's probably going to be mostly newer songs. Recent shows had them playing only a handful of growl songs, though it's probably justified by Mikael losing his growl a bit (compare "Demon of the Fall" from 2006 to "Demon" from 2017).
    Of all the growly songs that have turned up in recent sets, I'd say Mikael still sounds pretty decent on "Ghost of Perdition". It's definitely nowhere near his prime growls, but they've sounded the best to me on that song than any others.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The setlist has been identical night-to-night so far:

Svekets Prins
    The Leper Affinity
    Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör
    Reverie/Harlequin Forest
    Nepenthe
    Moon Above, Sun Below (!!)
    Hope Leaves
    The Lotus Eater
    Allting Tar Slut

Sorceress
    Deliverance

That looks pretty damn solid; I haven't listened to a full concert yet (just "Moon Above, Sun Below"). I'll be honest, I didn't particularly like Mikael's growls on the Red Rocks release.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    New video. Done by Owl House Studios, the same people who did stuff for Storm Corrosion:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not sure if I mentioned it here or not, but i'm seeing them in Feb. I know it's a stretch, but i'm crossing my fingers for Hessian Peel. God, I fucking love that song.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    My local record store called me today to let me know the independent splatter vinyl variants should be in next week. The release was yesterday (1/21), has anyone seen them in-person yet?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The Opeth show was excellent! The setlist was exactly the same as the European leg, except "To Rid The Disease" replaced "Hope Leaves". Show was about 2 hours, 5 minutes.

The merch booth had no vinyl or posters. Some of the CD's for sale were autographed. They also had the Perpetual Journey picture book: $30 or standard, $45 for limited edition.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Supposed to be on the balcony. Fuck it. Lets fucking go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Graveyard and Opeth, what a great pairing for a line-up!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Hadn't heard Graveyard until yesterday. Pretty good. Opeth was, of course, fucking phenomenal. Mikael talking shit on Houston was priceless.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Hadn't heard Graveyard until yesterday. Pretty good. Opeth was, of course, fucking phenomenal. Mikael talking shit on Houston was priceless.
    Did they have any of the signed tour edition splatter vinyl when you got to the merch booth?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Did they have any of the signed tour edition splatter vinyl when you got to the merch booth?
    Yup, I got one. Some chick found an lp on the floor, signed too. Can't wait to get home and listen to it.