Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Hmm, you really think The Undiscovered Country is bad? I think some of the early-90s VFX have not aged well — pink blood, anyone? — and some are victims of their own success (the 'Praxis effect' invented by ILM for this movie was stolen by zillions of later films, to the point where it became a cliché image; eg. in the revamped Star Wars Lucas retconned the first Death Star destruction from a dinky backyard sparkler going off to being a 'proper' moon-sized blast complete with shockwave). In any case, it could stand to benefit from a director and cinematographer-approved restoration/refresh using modern digital compositing, but there's nothing wrong with the movie itself. For that reason I'm really glad they are bringing back Nicholas Meyer to work on the new TV show.
    Last edited by botley; 05-21-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hmm, you really think The Undiscovered Country is bad? I think some of the early-90s VFX have not aged well — pink blood, anyone? — and some are victims of their own success (the 'Praxis effect' invented by ILM for this movie was stolen by zillions of later films, to the point where it became a cliché image; eg. in the revamped Star Wars Lucas retconned the first Death Star destruction from a dinky backyard sparkler going off to being a 'proper' moon-sized blast complete with shockwave). In any case, it could stand to benefit from a director and cinematographer-approved restoration/refresh using modern digital compositing, but there's nothing wrong with the movie itself. For that reason I'm really glad they are bringing back Nicholas Meyer to work on the new TV show.
    I meant to say The Final Frontier. My mistake. The Undiscovered Country is actually my favorite Trek movie.