Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @allegro , i would have probably been impacted pretty greatly by Lennon's death, but i was only 9 months old.
    I was a HUGE nirvana fan and didn't like Cobain's death very much, but Robin Williams was just SO warm and accessible, you know?

It also made me realize that many of my most beloved entertainers won't be around forever.
    Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood both come to mind.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Clint will probably live to see 100. He directed Jersey Boys this year, and has just completed American Sniper which will be released nation-wide in January.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I was a lot more upset when John Lennon was murdered. .
    Agreed. Lennon didn't want to die though. Someone walked up and shot him.

This is more like Kurt Cobain to me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Agreed. Lennon didn't want to die though. Someone walked up and shot him.

This is more like Kurt Cobain to me.
    We all saw that coming, though. He'd already attempted it in Rome not too long before.

Remember Richard Jeni? "Thanks, Captain Obvious." Really funny guy.

He shot himself in the head in 2007.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-15-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Remember Richard Jeni? "Thanks, Captain Obvious." Really funny guy.

He shot himself in the head in 2007.
    Oh yeah, I remember him. How many other comedians have left the building early. A lot.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    We all saw that coming, though. He'd already attempted it in Rome not too long before.
    Rome was an accidental overdose. The suicide caught quite a few people off-guard.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Rome was an accidental overdose. The suicide caught quite a few people off-guard.
    No way, do you remember when they found HOW he overdosed and it ended up that he pushed, like, a shitload of those individual little packets of Rohypnol that are a bitch to open, very deliberately? FIFTY Rohypnol pills were in his stomach, and Courtney found a suicide note and later gave it to the Seattle police.

Kurt shooting himself was pretty shocking, yeah. The method was shocking, but Rome was a warning that many did not take seriously enough. (Courtney and his close friends did.)
    Last edited by allegro; 08-16-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Some of these new articles about Robin Williams' final weeks and months are truly heartbreaking. Somehow it feels like we assumed he'd always be there, and maybe we took that for granted. Lessons to be learned, there, for sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And another legend is gone.

Saturday Night Live announcer Don Pardo

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    And another legend is gone.

Saturday Night Live announcer Don Pardo
    Wow, now THAT'S the end of an era...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Joan Rivers has passed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Joan Rivers has passed.
    Ugh I'm SO bummed out, I LOVED Fashion Police. She was a comedy trailblazer, a legend. Such a senseless complication from a seemingly normal test. A real eye-opener. RIP, Joan.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    "Justin Bieber is a little lesbian. He is the daughter Cher wishes she had." - Joan Rivers

RIP

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Kind of mixed feelings... It's always horribly sad when someone dies. Especially in this situation - it seems incredibly bizarre.

I appreciate what she did as far as advancing women in comedy. But I mean... She was an asshole who thrived off of shock value, and not actually telling good jokes. She's like Howard Stern.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Conflicted about Joan's passing. I found her hilarious, but that tirade about Gaza was unforgivable.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Conflicted about Joan's passing. I found her hilarious, but that tirade about Gaza was unforgivable.
    She's Jewish. Most Jews have been very very sensitive about that subject (at least the Jews I know here in the U.S. My FB page has been filled with a lot of very upset Jews who posted Jon Voight's letter in response.) Anyway, she is dead and this is not the time to to talk about her defending Israel, something pretty much all good American Jews do anyway.

The WAY she died is a real eye-opener. These endoscopy clinics are so prevalent, they're like 7-11s, where gastroenterologists have a few extra anesthesiology certifications and they call 911 if something happens. That clinic is now under investigation. I sure as hell ain't going to anything but a hospital for anything from now on, that's for sure.

But she was a really really nice lady. Word is she put the kids of all of her staff through college, that she was nice to anybody working around her, if anybody was sick, any of their family was sick, she sent flowers or gifts, that she was always so kind and generous. She's from a different era, that Don Rickles "roast" era of comedy, one that I never fully understood, honestly, but the industry always (and still does, really) treated women like substandard citizens and she had to bust through that ceiling.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-04-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    She was Jewish AND old.
    My wife grew up in Israel for 8 years of her life and she has extremely moderate views on the whole situation. Granted, she and her family was (and still is) in the scientific atheist side of things.

Anyway, whats this bit about how she died? I'm kind of amazed that a 92 year old has died and it is prompting an investigation into a clinic. That's amazing for many reasons.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    She was Jewish AND old.
    My wife grew up in Israel for 8 years of her life and she has extremely moderate views on the whole situation. Granted, she and her family was (and still is) in the scientific atheist side of things.

Anyway, whats this bit about how she died? I'm kind of amazed that a 92 year old has died and it is prompting an investigation into a clinic. That's amazing for many reasons.
    She was 81. She had a hoarse throat and went in for what was considered a "routine" endoscopy at an endocopy clinic where they evidently removed a nodule or two and she stopped breathing, went into cardiac arrest, she was rushed to Mount Sinai, had been on a respirator / life support in ICU ever since. She was probably "high risk" due to her advanced age, and the investigation relates to why a clinic would even do that procedure and not send her to a hospital with a real anesthesiologist attending.

(p.s.: Jew, an ancient tribe, passed down through a matriarchal lineage, not exclusively identified by "Judaism" which of course you should know but let's not digress)
    Last edited by allegro; 09-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hysterical as always

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I saw Joan about 12 years ago. Everyone was literally in tears from laughter, including myself. I crack up every time I watch Fashion Police and she will be sorely missed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    She's Jewish. Most Jews have been very very sensitive about that subject (at least the Jews I know here in the U.S. My FB page has been filled with a lot of very upset Jews who posted Jon Voight's letter in response.) Anyway, she is dead and this is not the time to to talk about her defending Israel, something pretty much all good American Jews do anyway.

The WAY she died is a real eye-opener. These endoscopy clinics are so prevalent, they're like 7-11s, where gastroenterologists have a few extra anesthesiology certifications and they call 911 if something happens. That clinic is now under investigation. I sure as hell ain't going to anything but a hospital for anything from now on, that's for sure.

But she was a really really nice lady. Word is she put the kids of all of her staff through college, that she was nice to anybody working around her, if anybody was sick, any of their family was sick, she sent flowers or gifts, that she was always so kind and generous. She's from a different era, that Don Rickles "roast" era of comedy, one that I never fully understood, honestly, but the industry always (and still does, really) treated women like substandard citizens and she had to bust through that ceiling.
    She was doing stand up a few hours before she went in for surgery. This was avoidable--R.I.P.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    Hysterical as always

Oh God thank you, that helped. That was real Joan. God bless her. We will never have another woman like her. Ever.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Goddamn, that is hilarious. At least Joan knows what she wanted in death. The funeral has to be on TV, I'm sure it would be a fucking laugh riot.

On another sad note for us serious film buffs, Donatas Banionis of Solaris died at age 90.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    i want my tongue to be hanging out of my mouth at my funeral so that people will laugh when they walk by to see me in my casket.
    i'm putting it in my will because my wife will not comply otherwise.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    edit: nevermind, random internet prank/hoax

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Richard Kiel, Jaws from James Bond

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...-at-74-reports

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    My all-time favorite Bond henchman. Plus, I love his role in Happy Gilmore. "That's two thus far Shooter". "Oh you can count, good for you". "And you can count on me waiting for you at the parking lot". "I believe that belongs to Mr. Gilmore"