Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: top 10 live concerts you have been to?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

Worst/Most Disappointing Shows

Nine Inch Nails, Jane's Addiction, Street Sweeper Social Club - Shoreline Ampitheater - 2009
    Out of curiosity, what makes you put this show in the worst/disappointing shows list?
    Surprised a NIN show could be deemed a "worst/disappointing" show.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

- TOOL, the Vancouver stop.

- All 8 NIN shows

- The Cure, Vancouver - May 2008.

- Summersault 2000 (Smashing Pumpkins and APC were the only reasons I went).

- APC at the Showbox in Seattle (Mer De Noms night).

- Radiohead show in 2008 was outdoors and rained the ENTIRE TIME
    We've seen ALOT of the same shows/tours. I'd say it's kinda odd, but not really. We both like the same kinda music and we both grew up in The Prairies/Western Canada. So naturally, we attend similar shows, heh.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i am going without dates.

nine inch nails
    puscifer
    hollerado
    depeche mode
    the tragically hip
    elliot brood
    imagine dragons
    a tribe called red
    jack johnson
    rem

in no particular order, either...
    they all had their magical moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    3. ladytron, webster hall 2009. the faint blew them off stage. we are the robots.
    Ladytron is not the most energetic band on stage (they're kind of Kraftwerk), but the quality of their songs is near flawless.

The Faint are energetic on stage but it's music for geeks and nothing extraordinary.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    Are you kidding me? Ladytron is not the most energetic band on stage (they're kind of Kraftwerk) but their back catalogue is near flawless.

The Faint are energetic on stage but it's music for geeks and nothing extraordinary.
    I donno about that. I saw Ladytron a few years back when Alessandro Cortini's SONOIO project was the opening act, and personally, I thought he stole the show. We ended up walking out halfway through Ladytron's set. But I guess to each their own.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    4. pj harvey- beacon theatre 2007. only time i've seen her, on tour for white chalk, which i adore. one woman show, rotating in a circular fashion to play different instruments during the show. really amazing!
    I wish she would have come to Chicago for White Chalk, I love that friggin' album. LOVE.

6. the fall- knitting factory. my only time seeing the band. show was slated to start at 11, but the band didn't bother coming on until 1am, with no support act.
    We saw the Fall at the Metro in Chicago many years ago, same thing, they didn't go on until at least 1 am, but it was one of the best shows we've ever seen. Mark E. Smith sat at a conference table with 3 microphones and kept trading microphones and sometimes he'd use one to mic the kick drum, then he'd get up and pace, then he'd sit back down. Still, one of the best and most compelling shows G and I have ever seen. And being that we're fossils, we've seen a LOT of shows.

That's the bad part, though; we've seen so many shows, it's too hard to make a list. Some of my true faves are the gems like the Jesus Lizard at the Metro when David Yow lost his wedding ring and stopped the show while everybody searched the floor and somebody eventually found it and the show went on like nothing ever happened. Or Neil Young during a tornado at HORDE. Or Throbbing Gristle at the equivalent of a school gym in Logan Square. Or the Ramones at the Fox Theater in Detroit; all the original Ramones, back when the Fox was falling apart.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-05-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes you put this show in the worst/disappointing shows list?
    Surprised a NIN show could be deemed a "worst/disappointing" show.
    It wasn't a bad show, just disappointing for me. The previous times I had seen NIN, it was amazing, or at least great, every time. I wasn't a fan of the 4 person band arrangements and they seemed a bit tired. It was the only time (heh) that I wasn't feeling it at a NIN show.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Ok, I'll bite......

Type O Negative - SOMA Live - San Diego, CA - 1997 October Rust Tour - First concert ever during the '97 October Rust tour. I was 15 and my memorable moment from this show was when Peter Steele said the following in between songs "Everyone having a good time tonight? *crowd cheers* Good....good.....I just wanna say, this is the best alcoholic Gatorade I've ever had. *crowd cheers even louder* You all should try this......vodka and Gatorade"

TOOL - RIMAC Arena - San Diego, CA - 1998 Aenima Warm-Up Tour - First time seeing TOOL live before they blew up into the big act they are today. They played a handful of shows (4-5) before the major tour and I managed to score tickets to the San Diego show. Most memorable moment: The singing vagina on the big screens during "Hooker with a Penis" - My dad took a group of my friends and I to this show and sat up at the top of the venue. When the image of a singing vagina showed up on the screen I just stopped dead in my tracks, with my mouth to the floor, and said "oh fuck, my dad is seeing this" - Needless to say my dad wasn't happy about it and I had a really hard time explaining this to my mom when I got home.

ORGY - Miramesa Epicenter - San Diego, CA - 1998 - Had a chance to see ORGY when they were on a high note at a venue that literally only had 100 people in it. It pretty much was a rec center and was VERY strange having a concert, let alone one with a band of this caliber, at this venue. Normally only local bands played here. Sadly I had to sit through a CRAZYTOWN set since they were the opening band, but then I had a chance to go backstage after the show and meet the everyone in the band (ORGY, not CT).

U2 - Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - 2000 Elevation Tour - Took my sister to her first ever U2 concert and we managed to get inside the heart that night. She was completely blown away by the experience and still talks about it to this day. We had Bono come down right in front of us and she reached out to touch him only to have him reach back and grab her hand while he was singing.

Nine Inch Nails - COX Arena - San Diego, CA - 2000 Fragility Tour - First time seeing Nails live and had the chance to meet TR after the show. MIND = BLOWN

The Cure - GREEK THEATRE - Los Angeles, CA - 2000 Dream Tour - First time seeing The Cure live and what better way to experience them than having no opening band and instead The Cure plays nearly a 3 hour set. Man, this tour was AWESOME.

Depeche Mode - COX ARENA - San Diego, CA - 1998 Singles Tour - First time seeing DM live and it was a greatest hits show. 'Nuff said.....

U2 - US Airways Arena - Phoenix, AZ - 2009 360 Tour - I won some badass "RED ZONE" tickets through work after answering some quiz questions via a contest my company (Verizon Wireless) was holding for its employees. I was given two tickets + access to the red zone which was another "inside the heart" kind of experience that was present during the 2000 Elevation Tour. I once again took my sister with me and we had one hell of time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Damn, some of your guys' lists put me to shame. No particular order, all were special in their own way, but highlights include:

Smashing Pumpkins w/ Fountains of Wayne (January 1997)
    Hum (June 1998)
    Year of the Rabbit w/ Cardia (July 2003)
    Man or Astroman? (January 2001)
    Nine Inch Nails w/ APC (May 2000)
    Arcade Fire (Sept. 2010)
    Joy Formidable w/ Place To Bury Strangers (April 2012)
    Autolux (Feb. 2005)
    Mogwai (May 2009)
    Nine Inch Nails w/ APC (April 2000)
    Pearl Jam w/ Frank Black (June 1998)
    Orgy- some point in early 1999

Some shows I wish I was at that friends or relatives of mine were able to attend:

Failure -any point in the 1990s (didn't first hear of them until a few months after they broke up)
    Johnny Cash- my grandmother saw him perform sometime in the 60s in a little legion hall by our hometown. my all time favorite concert story i've ever heard from someone
    Tomahawk (2002) - saw tool, missed tomahawk! grrr!
    NIN- 1995 Self Destruct Tour w/ PWEI and Jim Rose Circus (too young, parents wouldnt let me go)
    Marilyn Manson- Nov. 1995, they played a local bar here when they were still on the rise
    Fugazi-1995, another small, local show
    Curve- any point in their career
    JAMC-1992
    Nirvana- Des Moines, IA in 1993

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    1.) The Notwist- Music Box Los Angeles 2008
    2.) The National- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, Ca 2013
    3.) Godspeed you! Black Emperor 2012 The Warfield, San francisco
    4.) Radiohead- The Greek Theater- Berkley 2006
    5.) Nine Inch Nails-Soma- San Diego 2005
    6.) Children Of Bodom - 2005 Warfield, San Francisco
    7.) Wilco- The Greek Theater 2007
    8.) Bjork- 2007 Mountain View California
    9.) A perfect Circle/ Mars Volta- 2004 Memorial Auditorium Sacramento
    10)Tom Waits/Kronos Quartet-mountain view California 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woodstock '94 is at the top of my list, with NIN at the top there.
    Others in order by date
    Grateful Dead '91 (first big concert)
    Guns N' Roses/Metallica '92
    Fugazi '93
    Bad Religion '93 with Green Day opening
    Nine Inch Nails '95
    The Rolling Stones '97 with Santana opening
    Foo Fighters '08
    The Cult '13
    Nine Inch Nails '13
    Had a few years between '01 and '08 where I didn't really go to any shows, but I'm back now. I wish I could add The Smashing Pumpkins to the list, but none of the 3 shows I've been to since '00 haven't been enough to make the list.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Jesus, you kids are young. This post is gonna take days to write — I have to wrack my brain for shows I saw decades ago. (Not quite as far back as Allegro, though.) And my list is gonna look really funny to you punks because most of these people were old before you were born.

In no particular order:

David Crosby and Graham Nash, Wallingford CT, 1993
    This one will always stick out in my memory because we were in the third row, it was just before Crosby’s birthday, guitarist Jeff Pevar was playing his home state, the harmonies were absolutely perfect (and they knew it, because they had stupid grins on their faces all night), and some guy yelled “Who needs Steven Stills!” I’ve seen CSN three times since Crosby got out of prison and all of those shows had their unforgettable moments, but this one was fucking magic.

NIN — Mansfield MA, 2009
    Hearing Metal, The Becoming, La Mer, The Fragile, TWOIT and Gone, Still in one night still seems impossible to me. Oh, and there was Burn and Home and Somewhat Damaged too, so who cares if the rest of the set was the usual suspects. And then he started talking about La Mer. Fuck me. (Plus meeting the band, Trent’s impromptu Q&A, and my first time donating significant money to a cause that’s important to me.)

Bruce Springsteen, Madison Square Garden, 2007
    Meeting Across the River and Jungleland. ’Nuff said.

Peter Gabriel, c.1987
    This was the best production I’d ever seen until Lights in the Sky happened.

Heart, 2008
    They were the second act on a three act bill — in between Cheap Trick and Journey — but this is the one that stuck with me. I was seriously impressed that they could still rock that hard; they basically erased all memory of the whole 80s power-mush era.

America and Three Dog Night, mid/late 80s
    I went to see America, but was totally unprepared for Three Dog Night. They played like their lives depended on it and left everyone exhausted. A “legacy act” done right.

Steve Winwood, 2009
    Another show that took me by surprise. I didn’t know he had a new album, let alone that it was a good one. No frills, no synths, no bass player — and another example of a great artist who hit really big in the 80s but didn’t let that success define him.

Michael Hedges, c.1987
    HARP GUITAR!!!

Kronos Quartet, c.1987
    The encore was Purple fucking Haze. They were already cool 20 years before YZR.

Youssou N’Dour and Blues Traveler, c.1989
    I went there for Youssou N’Dour, but the opening act converted me into a fan. Blues Traveler didn’t even have an album yet, so this was like seeing NIN opening for Skinny Puppy. I had to wait maybe a year before the album came out, which drove me nuts. (I still remember where I was when I finally heard the first single on the radio — waiting in line for my emissions test at the DMV.)

There were a few shows in the late 70s / early 80s that might have qualified — Boston and Styx at the height of their careers, Yes at the second height of their career — but my memories are too hazy to commit to them.

OK, that’s it for the old people. You may resume making me feel like a senior citizen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    David Crosby and Graham Nash, Wallingford CT, 1993
    This one will always stick out in my memory because we were in the third row, it was just before Crosby’s birthday, guitarist Jeff Pevar was playing his home state, the harmonies were absolutely perfect (and they knew it, because they had stupid grins on their faces all night), and some guy yelled “Who needs Steven Stills!” I’ve seen CSN three times since Crosby got out of prison and all of those shows had their unforgettable moments, but this one was fucking magic.
    I've seen CSN twice, first time at Woodstock '94. They played right before Metallica who played before NIN. That was the most awesome concert combo ever. We stayed in the same spot (near the front but off to the side out of the major mud mess) for hours. Second time was in '00 with Neil Young. That almost made my top 10 list but our seats were so far away. I borrowed the guy sitting next to me binoculars so I could actually see something for a minute.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Thread bump. i saw this on @frankie teardrop 's A to Z thread, and i love threads like this, so i'll play.

The Lemonheads. Fri, november 22 1996 in Dallas Tx @ Trees. (i LOVE this band. I was grounded and i sneaked out of the house to go, and wound up meeting evan. Ahh, the memories!)

Metallica, August 5th 1994 in Dallas @ the Starplex I'm not really big on heavy metal, but these guys were fucking awesome. I was only 14. This is the best metal show i ever saw. It was right before they changed their style. Now i'm not one of those people who calls them "sellouts" or whatever. In fact, i applaud them for exploring different sounds. But i DO like the older stuff better. This is a band i recommend everyone go see if they have a chance...even if you don't like them.

Kittie in 2008 or so at an old movie theater in a dallas suburb i can't find the name of the venue or the town, but it was SO fucking insane. All ages, BYOB. You can imagine. The nihilistic insanity of the atmosphere is what puts this ahead of metallica as my favorite metal show. Metallica still PLAYED better. But good god, this was fucking NUTS.

Type O Negative Sept 29th 1996 in Dallas Tx @ The Bomb Factory (This was the show that made me fall in love with this band.
    Also, i met Peter and he was SO genuinely humble. He thanked me for spending my money on a ticket...told me he knew i worked hard for it and that it meant a lot to him. that endeared him to me so much. The part i DIDN'T like was when a crew member wanted us to come backstage and meet the band, it was me, my girlfriend, her best friend, and another girl who was one of MY best friends, and a beautiful "lipstick lesbian" type of girl. so they wanted us to come back stage, but, oh my gosh, they only had 3 passes, so why don't the girls come back and... Thank GOD my lesbian friend understood what time it was and prevented the other two girls from going. We were SIXTEEN for christ's sake)

Pearl Jam July 5 1998 @ Reunion Arena in Dallas I expected pearl jam to come out and play a bunch of covers no one had heard or to JUST play songs from yield or SOMETHING that was just a fuck you to the crowd.
    But i was very pleasantly surprised. They were gracious and seemed like they were happy to be there. And the setlist was GREAT! Corduroy, Go, Spin the Black Circle, MFC, Rearviewmirror, Alive, Jeremy, Daughter...they played 23 songs! They played some interesting rarities but they also played all the hits you'd want to hear. I made damned sure to see them again next time they came.

OutKast/Goodie Mob Jun 2 1999
    (this was the best hip hop show i've ever seen, and i've seen a LOT...Cypress Hill, Snoop, Busta, Wyclef, Black Eyed Peas when they were an actual rap group, Public Enemy, etc etc etc. Outkast is the greatest. They have the best sounding voices! they don't need reference tracks and such...they sound great just rapping over the record. This was back when they were still really tight...BEFORE the "double album" that we all know was really two solo albums)

Tool August 8th 1998 @ Fair Park Music Hall. It's always great to see a band before they get so big that they are playing sports arenas. I've seen tool 4 times, but i enjoyed this show the most, because it was the most intimate. It's bigger than a bar type venue, but much, much smaller than an arena. Plus the setlist was great...cold and ugly, pushit, eulogy.

Tricky at some bar in dallas, 98 or so This was on Juxtapose and he had mad dog aka grease in tow. I've seen tricky like 4 or 5 times, but this one was the best because of Grease. Like @October Midnight said , there's just something about tricky.

Primus 8/14/95 @ FPC
    Primus is another band i've seen many, many times, but this one had the best setlist. Pudding Time, Here COme the Bastards, Southbound Pachyderm, Prof Nutbutter, Eleven (with an upright bass.) Primus is so, so incredibly heavy. You wouldn't expect it, but they put on damn near the heaviest show i've seen.

Portishead 3/26/98 in Dallas @ the bronco bowl.

It was portishead. If you don't know about portishead, they come VERY highly recommended from good old @elevenism . They are fucking amazing.

The Old 97s, Funland, Slobberbone, Dooms Uk @ trees in Dallas, 1996 or so.This was just a magical fucking night. The 97s are one of my favorite bands and i've seen them over 50 times. Funland was incredible too, and the other two bands were great. They had T shirts made just for this one show. I wish i still had mine. This one's a dallas thing i guess. But i had more fun at this one than pretty much any other show i've seen.

Planet of the Drums (AK1200, Dieselboy, Dara, Messinian,) 2000-ish , @Trees in dallas I don't remember the year but i'm thinking 2000. If you don't know, POTD is a tag team drum and bass set by three top notch american dnb djs, alongside a great mc, J Messinian.
    I have been to lots and lots of drum and bass shows, but i thought i'd pick one favorite. Runners up include Raymond Roker (publisher of URB magazine,) Loxy and Dylan, Bad Company, Mickey Finn, AK1200 with Gridlock, Craze, Q-Bert.

Page and Plant 9/27/98 @ Reunion Arena, Dallas
    I don't think i have to explain this one. Zeppelin broke up the year i was born so this was the next best thing.

Rush 1/28/94 @ Reunion ArenaI've seen rush 3 times. But this one was such a huge deal. It was my first "arena" show. I was only 14. and they played dreamline! analog kid! animate! stick it out! Force Ten! Xanadu! Leave That Thing Alone! It was an AMAZING setlist and they were my favorite band at the time, and like i said, i was only 14. I will never ever forget that night.

Nine Inch Nails/Marilyn Manson/Jim Rose Circus October 29, 1994 @ Fair Park Coliseum in Dalla Ahh, nin on the FDTS tour. I was 14. i also saw them on 2-11-95 with the melvins...the legendary show at which the crowd tore up the floor and threw it at the melvins.
    But i preferred the night with Manson and JRC. For one thing, i didn't know who Marilyn Manson was! Can you imagine that, youngsters?
    Those of you who saw NIN in those days remember the electricity in the air, the sea of black clothes and angst, the sense of volatility and danger in the air. NIN was SCARY in those days. And it was SO...FUCKING...AWESOME.

Lollapalooza 97 @ Starplex, Dallas TX
    The Prodigy. Tool. Snoop Dogg. Failure. Tricky. Julian and Damian Marley (playing bob marley songs.) James. Lost Boyz (RIGHT before Freaky Tah died)
    There were other bands there, but these are the ones whose shows i caught in their entirety. I was on a headfull of amber acid, and this was the second best show i've ever seen...second only to...

NIN. November 22, 2008. the BOK center at Tulsa, OK
    I don't think i have to explain this one much either.
    A lot of folk are jealous that we saw nin in the TDS days. But for me, they were SO much better in 08. And SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, the LIGHTS!
    Plus the venue was fucking TINY. @Alrea was there. There wasn't a bad seat in the fucking house. i thought that we were going to be pretty far away from the stage based on the seating chart, but oh no. Our seats were incredible.

Ok, i HAVE to stop this. I keep remembering more bands and having to go back.
    Ozzy is in there somewhere, as is Busta Rhymes and Flipmode, Wyclef Jean, Perry Ferrel's Satellite Party (who plays new material plus PFP and JA songs...if you like those acts and you get a chance, GO!,) and plenty of other bands i'm forgetting.

I have to go watch the cowboys stomp a texas mudhole in the lions!
    I hope someone reads this and digs it because it took me fucking TWO HOURS to remember and look all this up!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Oh dude, I have such an awesome story about this show. I was 16 years old as well, didn't have a job, so I couldn't really afford to go to concerts, so I never bought a ticket to this show. But I knew a hand full of people that were going. Actually, there was a meet and green with Slipknot at a local record store downtown this day. I had no idea who this "Slipknot" band was at the time, but I had a friend who was OBSESSED with them. I have no idea how he found out about them, but they were pretty new at the time, I didn't know who they were, but he skipped school to wait in line all day at this signing. Me and this other friend of mine decided to head downtown after school to see if we can see our friends at the signing, and we did. Our friends were like, wait in line with us and get signatues and I was like... I don't even know this band or anything, but friend was like who cares, you're here, they're just about to sign stuff. The thing is, I didn't have anything to get signed...

Or did I? Earlier that day at school, they actually handed out our yearbooks.... I figured, hey what they hell... yearbooks are for signing right? So I whipped it out...

That's right, slipknot signed my yearbook! LOL... They also decided to be funny and write "1666" under the 1999 part as you can see in the photo. I think it was Shawn "The Clown" who did that. he also asked me where my photo was so he could draw devil horns on it, but I said no nah don't do that.

So after the signing, my other friend and I who didn't have concert tickets decided to go with our other friends who did have tickets over to the venue, because... well, what else is a 16 year old going to do? Might as well go hang around the venue with out friends, right?

So we went, and hung out and met alot of cool people. But then it was time to start letting people in, so it was time to part ways. Myself and the other friend with me who didn't have tickets decide to go around to the side of the venue, and I have no idea who's idea this was, but we opened this door that was on the side of the venue, and to our surprise, it was unlocked. We walked inside to the kitchen of the venue. We were inside the kitchen with backpacks on, it was quite obvious we just walked in from outside. 2 guys then came in and we were like "oh we're lost, where is the main room to the show" and they just point thru this other door. So we went through the door and lo and behold, we were inside the fucking venue and we didn't pay a goddamn cent to get in!

That is why I put this concert on my top 10 concerts of all time list. I would like to think my musical tastes have matured from when I was 16. You don't catch me listening to Slipknot or Coal Chamber anymore going on 31, but it was an epic moment for us getting into the show for free and the lineup was KILLER. You don't have tours anymore like Coal Chmaber / Slipknot / Dope. That was an amazing lineup where all 3 bands were pretty big names back then.

Le Rendezvous was TINY as fuck... I googled the capacity and it says 725. The venue was shut down in the early 2000's and reopened again maybe 10 years after it was shut down. So i'm not sure if they remodelled it and changed the capacity. I seem to remember it allowing a little more people than that, but it was under 1000 people for sure.

You also mentioned that Joey was cool to you guys where people nowadays think he's a dick. I guess you could say that's what gaining fame does to you. The band was really cool when we met them as well, but they were just gaining popularity in 1999. I haven't seen or met the band since then, so I can't really judge on whether his attitude has changed other than what I see in interviews and stuff. Some interviews he does seem a little stuck up, but who knows. Like I said, fame can somewhat change a person's personality. Even touring with 8 other band members day in and day our would tend to change someone as well. People change as they grow older, who knows what happened.

You should have let him drawn those horns on you.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    this is tough... have seen a ton of concerts, most of which were great. some highlights:

1. david bowie- beacon theatre, 2002. intimate setting for my first and only bowie show. he played absolute beginners and a bunch of low cuts, among other surprises. wish we got 'belway brothers,' 'station to station,' or 'hallo spaceboy' which were somewhat common at the time, but i still can't complain. have no idea why i skipped the reality tour. bad timing, maybe? probably thought he'd be back again...

2. killing joke- irving plaza, 2013. call me when your band is as good in 20 years as the day you started... blew my face off.

3. nine inch nails- webster hall 2009. obvious reasons. was on rail for this, robin finck stage dived and landed directly on my head during 'march of the pigs.' seen the band about 15 times now, and the only one that comes close to this show was the jones beach show with bauhaus in 2006...

4. pj harvey- beacon theatre 2007. only time i've seen her, on tour for white chalk, which i adore. one woman show, rotating in a circular fashion to play different instruments during the show. really amazing!

5. the cure- pnc arts center, 2000. first time seeing the cure. since i didn't have heavy internet access, i had no idea that the band played such long sets, nor busted out so many deep cuts, so the show more than made up for the terrible seats . this one makes the cut even though i enjoyed the reflections tour at beacon theatre more from a musical point of view... sometimes, it's all about that first moment.

6. the fall- knitting factory. my only time seeing the band. show was slated to start at 11, but the band didn't bother coming on until 1am, with no support act. they played a short, antagonistic set that ended with mark e. smith throwing me the mic to sing the rest of 'new big prinz.' he fired his band (again) a few days later...

7. smashing pumpkins- radio city music hall 1998. my first concert, touring heavily behind an album i love. had great seats, had a great time. my second favorite show was terminal five in 2010 with two good friends in tow and a killer setlist, but the first stands out to me for obvious reasons.

8. carter tutti play chris and cosey- santo's party house 2014. i know it's super fresh in my mind, but it was FAR better than expected. perfect setlist, and even the new arrangements were beat-heavy and devastatingly good, which is more than i can say for front 242 when i saw them....

9. his name is alive- maxwells, 2006. i've seen this 4ad band half a dozen times, but this poorly attended show was my favorite. it was my birthday, they passed out bells and percussive instruments, and i won "two gold stars" for enthusiasm.

9. dead can dance- radio city music hall 2005. first time seeing them, never thought i'd have the chance. they played with a full string orchestra, which spoiled me for the more recent tour which was very cheese-keyboard heavy. this show, unlike the second time i saw them, was a revelation.

10. the wrens- luna lounge 2004. my friend had discovered the wren's sorely underrated and at the time, rare first record, silver in a dollar bin. again, with little access to the internet, we knew nothing about the band, but enjoyed their art damaged pixies meets dreampop vibe. after a bunch of misfires, the band finally got some indie attention and played a college not far from me. i went, loved it, and impressed them with a copy of that cd. flash forward a few months later, and i'm attending the CMJ festival via my radio station, and i made a point to be front and center for their performance at the ill fated luna lounge. they recognized me (and we had a few beers after), and during the show i took part in a band stunt in which the guitarist/keyboardist/second vocalist hopped on a monitor and played piano, jerry lee lewis style, while i was holding the stand (and the keyboard) in the air. no injuries, just pure showmanship!

other gigs i loved and hate to leave out:

modern english, le poisson rouge 2010
    the ex, maxwells 2006
    the church, city winery 2010
    robin guthrie/brendan perry, irving plaza 2011
    nick cave and the badseeds- both beacon theatre in 2013 and roseland in 2003.
    wire are always consistently great, and i've seen them four times now... can't pick a favorite
    nitzer ebb, gramercy 2009
    new model army- maxwell's 2006
    codeine, the bell house 2012
    psychedelic furs, supper club 2005
    for against, bell house 2010 (felt weird that they opened when i was in the chameleons, felt they were the best band that night even over us)
    placebo, irving plaza 2001
    tuxedomoon, le poisson rouge 2008
    crime and the city solution, music hall of williamsburg 2012 - almost didn't make this one but glad i did
    peter gabriel- jones beach 2012
    the wake, littlefield 2010
    iron maiden, izod center 2008
    devo, mccarren pool 2008
    faith no more- both times in 2011
    tamaryn, the knitting factory 2012. best show i've ever seen from a friend's band.
    ashrae fax, glasslands 2013. second best show i've seen from a friend's band.
    xeno and oaklander/a place to bury strangers- can't pick one from the dozen or so times i've seen both bands, but are almost always great
    revolting cocks (minus al), the metro 2010
    the faint, webster hall 2004
    wovenhand, knitting factory 2008
    garbage, webster hall 2012
    omd, terminal five (hate this venue), 2011
    public image ltd., terminal five 2010

sorry that's a huge list, but all of those gigs were amazing for one reason for another. i can only think of four i HATED:

1. jesus and mary chain, webster hall 2007. completely boring and non-eventful
    2. my bloody valentine, roseland 2008. way too loud, even with earplugs, with no sense of melody or purpose. walked out at the end.
    3. ladytron, webster hall 2009. the faint blew them off stage. we are the robots.
    4. grouper, new museum 2009. she was amazing, but the crowd talked and made noise through the entire set, dulling the effect.

total list (missing a ton of the weekly wierd shows, and others i may have forgotten over the years):
    http://www.setlist.fm/concerts/frankieteardrop

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cu...-13d7e501.html

Wow, you got Siamese Twins!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Thread bump. i saw this on @frankie teardrop 's A to Z thread, and i love threads like this, so i'll play.

The Lemonheads. Fri, november 22 1996 in Dallas Tx @ Trees. (i LOVE this band. I was grounded and i sneaked out of the house to go, and wound up meeting evan. Ahh, the memories!)

Metallica, August 5th 1994 in Dallas @ the Starplex I'm not really big on heavy metal, but these guys were fucking awesome. I was only 14. This is the best metal show i ever saw. It was right before they changed their style. Now i'm not one of those people who calls them "sellouts" or whatever. In fact, i applaud them for exploring different sounds. But i DO like the older stuff better. This is a band i recommend everyone go see if they have a chance...even if you don't like them.

Kittie in 2008 or so at an old movie theater in a dallas suburb i can't find the name of the venue or the town, but it was SO fucking insane. All ages, BYOB. You can imagine. The nihilistic insanity of the atmosphere is what puts this ahead of metallica as my favorite metal show. Metallica still PLAYED better. But good god, this was fucking NUTS.

Type O Negative Sept 29th 1996 in Dallas Tx @ The Bomb Factory (This was the show that made me fall in love with this band.
    Also, i met Peter and he was SO genuinely humble. He thanked me for spending my money on a ticket...told me he knew i worked hard for it and that it meant a lot to him. that endeared him to me so much. The part i DIDN'T like was when a crew member wanted us to come backstage and meet the band, it was me, my girlfriend, her best friend, and another girl who was one of MY best friends, and a beautiful "lipstick lesbian" type of girl. so they wanted us to come back stage, but, oh my gosh, they only had 3 passes, so why don't the girls come back and... Thank GOD my lesbian friend understood what time it was and prevented the other two girls from going. We were SIXTEEN for christ's sake)

Pearl Jam July 5 1998 @ Reunion Arena in Dallas I expected pearl jam to come out and play a bunch of covers no one had heard or to JUST play songs from yield or SOMETHING that was just a fuck you to the crowd.
    But i was very pleasantly surprised. They were gracious and seemed like they were happy to be there. And the setlist was GREAT! Corduroy, Go, Spin the Black Circle, MFC, Rearviewmirror, Alive, Jeremy, Daughter...they played 23 songs! They played some interesting rarities but they also played all the hits you'd want to hear. I made damned sure to see them again next time they came.

OutKast/Goodie Mob Jun 2 1999
    (this was the best hip hop show i've ever seen, and i've seen a LOT...Cypress Hill, Snoop, Busta, Wyclef, Black Eyed Peas when they were an actual rap group, Public Enemy, etc etc etc. Outkast is the greatest. They have the best sounding voices! they don't need reference tracks and such...they sound great just rapping over the record. This was back when they were still really tight...BEFORE the "double album" that we all know was really two solo albums)

Tool August 8th 1998 @ Fair Park Music Hall. It's always great to see a band before they get so big that they are playing sports arenas. I've seen tool 4 times, but i enjoyed this show the most, because it was the most intimate. It's bigger than a bar type venue, but much, much smaller than an arena. Plus the setlist was great...cold and ugly, pushit, eulogy.

Tricky at some bar in dallas, 98 or so This was on Juxtapose and he had mad dog aka grease in tow. I've seen tricky like 4 or 5 times, but this one was the best because of Grease. Like @October Midnight said , there's just something about tricky.

Primus 8/14/95 @ FPC
    Primus is another band i've seen many, many times, but this one had the best setlist. Pudding Time, Here COme the Bastards, Southbound Pachyderm, Prof Nutbutter, Eleven (with an upright bass.) Primus is so, so incredibly heavy. You wouldn't expect it, but they put on damn near the heaviest show i've seen.

Portishead 3/26/98 in Dallas @ the bronco bowl.

It was portishead. If you don't know about portishead, they come VERY highly recommended from good old @elevenism . They are fucking amazing.

The Old 97s, Funland, Slobberbone, Dooms Uk @ trees in Dallas, 1996 or so.This was just a magical fucking night. The 97s are one of my favorite bands and i've seen them over 50 times. Funland was incredible too, and the other two bands were great. They had T shirts made just for this one show. I wish i still had mine. This one's a dallas thing i guess. But i had more fun at this one than pretty much any other show i've seen.

Planet of the Drums (AK1200, Dieselboy, Dara, Messinian,) 2000-ish , @Trees in dallas I don't remember the year but i'm thinking 2000. If you don't know, POTD is a tag team drum and bass set by three top notch american dnb djs, alongside a great mc, J Messinian.
    I have been to lots and lots of drum and bass shows, but i thought i'd pick one favorite. Runners up include Raymond Roker (publisher of URB magazine,) Loxy and Dylan, Bad Company, Mickey Finn, AK1200 with Gridlock, Craze, Q-Bert.

Page and Plant 9/27/98 @ Reunion Arena, Dallas
    I don't think i have to explain this one. Zeppelin broke up the year i was born so this was the next best thing.

Rush 1/28/94 @ Reunion ArenaI've seen rush 3 times. But this one was such a huge deal. It was my first "arena" show. I was only 14. and they played dreamline! analog kid! animate! stick it out! Force Ten! Xanadu! Leave That Thing Alone! It was an AMAZING setlist and they were my favorite band at the time, and like i said, i was only 14. I will never ever forget that night.

Nine Inch Nails/Marilyn Manson/Jim Rose Circus October 29, 1994 @ Fair Park Coliseum in Dalla Ahh, nin on the FDTS tour. I was 14. i also saw them on 2-11-95 with the melvins...the legendary show at which the crowd tore up the floor and threw it at the melvins.
    But i preferred the night with Manson and JRC. For one thing, i didn't know who Marilyn Manson was! Can you imagine that, youngsters?
    Those of you who saw NIN in those days remember the electricity in the air, the sea of black clothes and angst, the sense of volatility and danger in the air. NIN was SCARY in those days. And it was SO...FUCKING...AWESOME.

Lollapalooza 97 @ Starplex, Dallas TX
    The Prodigy. Tool. Snoop Dogg. Failure. Tricky. Julian and Damian Marley (playing bob marley songs.) James. Lost Boyz (RIGHT before Freaky Tah died)
    There were other bands there, but these are the ones whose shows i caught in their entirety. I was on a headfull of amber acid, and this was the second best show i've ever seen...second only to...

NIN. November 22, 2008. the BOK center at Tulsa, OK
    I don't think i have to explain this one much either.
    A lot of folk are jealous that we saw nin in the TDS days. But for me, they were SO much better in 08. And SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, the LIGHTS!
    Plus the venue was fucking TINY. @Alrea was there. There wasn't a bad seat in the fucking house. i thought that we were going to be pretty far away from the stage based on the seating chart, but oh no. Our seats were incredible.

Ok, i HAVE to stop this. I keep remembering more bands and having to go back.
    Ozzy is in there somewhere, as is Busta Rhymes and Flipmode, Wyclef Jean, Perry Ferrel's Satellite Party (who plays new material plus PFP and JA songs...if you like those acts and you get a chance, GO!,) and plenty of other bands i'm forgetting.

I have to go watch the cowboys stomp a texas mudhole in the lions!
    I hope someone reads this and digs it because it took me fucking TWO HOURS to remember and look all this up!

oh yeah...Subtle is in there too. @Jinsai , you mentioned cLOUDEAD or however they type it.
    Are you a Subtle fan too?
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-04-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I didn't want to include any of the same bands twice.

10. Mark Lanegan-- Paradise, Boston (2012)
    9. Doors of the 21st Century--Orpheum Theater, Boston (2003)
    8. Chickenfoot--Orpheum Theater Boston (2012)
    7. KISS-- Tweeter Center, Mansfield (2004)
    6. Monkees-- The Opera House, Boston (2013)
    5. Guns N' Roses, DNC Center, Worcester (2011)
    4. Tori Amos-- Bank of America Pavilion, Boston (2009)
    3. Van Halen-- Banknorth Garden, Boston (2007)
    2. Garbage--Avalon Boston (2005)
    1. Nine Inch Nails--Orpheum Theater Boston (2005)

Honorable mentions--Jesus and the Mary Chain, Stone Temple Pilots, Scott Weiland, Marilyn Manson, Jane's Addiction, Bush, Filter, Soundgaden.
    Going to adjust this slightly:

10. Mark Lanegan-- Paradise, Boston (2012)
    9. Doors of the 21st Century--Orpheum Theater, Boston (2003)
    8. KISS-- Tweeter Center, Mansfield (2004)
    7. Monkees-- The Opera House, Boston (2013)
    6. Guns N' Roses, DNC Center, Worcester (2011)
    5. Tori Amos-- Bank of America Pavilion, Boston (2009)
    4. Smashing Pumpkins- Boston University, Agganis Arena (2012)
    3. Van Halen-- Banknorth Garden, Boston (2007)
    2. Garbage--Avalon Boston (2005)
    1. Nine Inch Nails--Orpheum Theater Boston (2005)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    i think i did 17. sorry, y'all.
    Is that cheating?

Rasputina in dallas in 2000 or so is definitely in my top ten.

Maybe i will redo it and actually put 10

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was one of the "best" shows that I've been to, but certainly one of the most memorable. Scott seemed pretty fucked-up, but rocked:

And then there was:

I was 14. I'll never forget that show.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-04-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    1) NIN - Wave Goodbye May 2009, Chicago (Met Trent briefly at this show)
    2) NIN - Wave Goodbye August 2009, Chicago (Day one. First time I saw The Wretched live)
    3) NIN - Tension 2013, St. Louis
    4) NIN - Tension 2013, Cleveland
    5) NIN - LITS 2008, Columbus
    6) NIN - Lollapalooza 2013
    7) NIN - Tension 2013, Nashville
    8) NIN - NIN + Soundgarden Tinley Park 2014
    9) How to Destroy Angels - Chicago, 2013
    10) Puscifer - Chicago, 2011

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails--NIN/JA (2009)

The Birthday Massacre--Superstition Tour (2014)

Slowdive (2014)

How To Destroy Angels (2013)

The Cure--Curiosa (2004)

Tool/Tomahawk (2002)

Goblin (2013)

Nine Inch Nails--Lights In The Sky (2009)

Deftones (2006)

Electric Six (2012)

Honorable Mentions: Adam Ant (2012), Placebo (2006), M83 (2011), OhGr (2008), A Perfect Circle (2004), Blue Man Group (2008)

These aren't concerts but I got to see Kids In The Hall on my birthday in 2008 and got to see Patton Oswalt last year. Both shows were awesome.
    Last edited by Swykk; 01-05-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @Swykk , my brother got to see the Kids and he said it was fucking amazing.

I'm jealous of you both!

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

oh yeah...Subtle is in there too. @Jinsai , you mentioned cLOUDEAD or however they type it.
    Are you a Subtle fan too?
    Subtle were great live, but cLOUDDEAD blew them away. It was one of those live show experiences where you realized you were seeing something important. But yeah, as far as records go, A New White wins.

best live shows I've seen have been Einsturzende Neubauten, Tom Waits, and Radiohead.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    10. Metallica, By Request, 2014, Jean-Drapeau, Montréal - Say whatever you want about them, but that was one impressive live display. Lasers going off into the night sky, giant screens with zombie soldiers during "One", Lars not fucking up too badly. I was actually pretty impressed.

9. Primus, Oct. 4, 2011 - Montréal Metropolis - A friend took me for my birthday. Starting with a bunch of classics then Green Naugahyde before a short encore. 25 songs!

8. NIN, Tension 2013, Bell centre, Montréal - Pretty pretty lights. :0

7. Fear Factory, Montréal Metropolis, 1999 - My first concert. Obsolete tour. Got a concussion. Shit was awesome.

6. Alice Cooper, Theatre Of Death tour, Jean Drapeau, 2010 - Have you ever seen Alice Cooper live? Go see Alice Cooper live. What is wrong with you.

5. NIN, Bell centre, Montréal 2005 - I remember everyone in the venue seemed to fucking shut up and stare in awe once the Eraser footage started.

4. Killing Joke, Cafe Campus, April 2013 - Exactly what @frankie teardrop posted above. Holy shit.

3. NIN and A Perfect Circle, Molson Centre, 2000, Fragility 2.0 - My second concert. Nosebleed seats just above and a little in front of the stage, but a really good view. I remember Maynard making circles around himself with the microphone wire while he rotated in place. I'll take the memories of that night to my grave.

2. The Cure, Osheaga 2013 - They kept going until they cut off the power, and then kept going afterwards. Felt like nearly four hours. Bless those wonderful men.

1. NIN, Bell Centre, 2008 - when MOTP started the surge forward purshed me from behind the mosh pit, straight through it, and miraculously up against the railing right fucking point blank between Trent and Robin, where I remained for the rest of the night. I think that speaks for itself.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    3. NIN and A Perfect Circle, Molson Centre, 2000, Fragility 2.0 - My second concert. Nosebleed seats just above and a little in front of the stage, but a really good view. I remember Maynard making circles around himself with the microphone wire while he rotated in place. I'll take the memories of that night to my grave.
    I was also at this show and it sounds like I was in around the same section. I recall my severe disappointment when the entire audio/video scaffolds were lowered during the show they blocked view of the performers from where my section was and we also couldn't see much of the visual work for this show. Great music though.
    Most if not all of the other show seating at Molson were far better. I think for me it was the Spiral seats in 2005. A bit far back but got a great view of all the visuals (Eraser footage included!)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    best live shows I've seen have been Einsturzende Neubauten, Tom Waits, and Radiohead.
    I only got to see Radiohead at Lollapalooza and it was totally ruined by the FRATBOY ASSHOLES who were everywhere and did nothing but TALK LOUDLY because they were all DRUNK which means you couldn't actually HEAR Radiohead. So I'm hoping they tour again so I can actually see and HEAR Radiohead live. Ugh, I had to go wayyyyyy back by the dancing hippies; at least THEY weren't yelling at each other.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-05-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I was also at this show and it sounds like I was in around the same section. I recall my severe disappointment when the entire audio/video scaffolds were lowered during the show they blocked view of the performers from where my section was and we also couldn't see much of the visual work for this show. Great music though.
    Most if not all of the other show seating at Molson were far better. I think for me it was the Spiral seats in 2005. A bit far back but got a great view of all the visuals (Eraser footage included!)
    Shit, yeah, I remember that. I had to hike my head forward and down a bit to see Trent, but I wasn't too obscured, thankfully.

If you remember someone going "WOOOOOOOOO YEAHHH ARGFLWARHHGLBLL" at the start of Even Deeper that was me, age eighteen, completely losing my shit.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    edit: oops, i've already posted here. thought it was a new thread. my bad.
    Last edited by kel; 01-05-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't been to that much concerts, but...

1. Oceán. I am sure you do not know about this group, but for me in Slovakia, late 80s/early 90s it played a huge part in who I am now. They were something like "Czech Depeche Mode", but I still feel Oceán was deeper in kind of religious way (though I consider myself agnostic), their lyrics by Petr Hons were so... you can not even describe what they mean exactly, they are like blurry images of feelings painted on the sky, about love, and pain, and hope... Singer Petr Muk later left to create side project Shalom, then he went solo, and just few days before releasing his best solo album, in 2010, he died by stupid accident, aged only 45. And we still miss him and will miss him forever. For me he was the most beautiful voice ever, it can make me cry anytime, like now just trying to describe it. OK, but about that live by Oceán, when someone asks me what was the best point in my life, it was Oceán live in 1990 or 1991. Never again I felt so free, so alive, so full of believe into something higher, so religious if you will. It was in the air. Example of Oceán live (not typical Oceán song):

Shalom also did an Erasure covers with which Erasure were quite happy.

2. Depeche Mode in Prague, 2001 I think - this was after their maybe "weakest" (in comparison) Exciter album, but I enjoyed the show much more than the following ones for some reason.

3. Alan Wilder (Recoil) in Bratislava, 2012, you can watch this on BluRay "A Strange Hour in Budapest" - just amazing, small place, perfect sound (Alan is personally walking the place and checking sound before show), and I was allowed to just sit and enjoy it all, amazing. I'm not the one who thinks if you are not jumping 2 meters high in the first row with some drug in you, you're not enjoying it as a true fan. Just let me sit here.

I was also on NIN twice, but the top 3 is above. Somehow I did not find myself in the right mood to just forget about everything and enjoy. I still think NIN shows are technically the best ever and I would love to see HTDA.

And bonus, another Oceán: :-)
    OK so I am allowed to insert only one video, so here is the link:
    (the lyrics are something like "only I know, one day lived in a dream...")
    Last edited by Substance242; 01-05-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: it was 2010 already, not 2012 :-(

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

LUCKY! You saw one of the best tours on the planet... I need a time machine really bad. Was stuck in Winnipeg at the time, which wasn't luxurious enough to get shows like this at that time (they've somehow since become a concert "hotspot" since I left in the mid 00's with NIN even making a few appearances there since I moved) and when you're 16, and the show falls in the middle of school season, you don't exactly have the funds or the means of travelling to see the show. Fuck.... Hearing of so many people having witnessed this tour stings bad...