Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    One song i dislike from "Re Load" is "Fuel", never liked it, never will... Agreed that St. Anger is shit, i was also a first day buyer (DVD version and all...) :/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Here's how I think I'd do it. Maybe not this exact order, but these are definitely the songs I'd keep on; roughly 75/25 in Load's favor. They dodged a bullet when they decided to not release a double album.

1. Ain't My Bitch
    2. 2 X 4
    3. The Memory Remains
    4. The House Jack Built
    5. King Nothing
    6. Hero of the Day
    7. Bleeding Me
    8. Where the Wild Things Are
    9. The Unforgiven II
    10. Ronnie
    11. Mama Said
    12. Until It Sleeps
    13. Low Man's Lyric
    14. The Outlaw Torn

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    I always liked them, too. It's weird you guys brought them up because I broke them out just this last week. I can do without Prince Charming, Better Than You, Bad Seed and a couple others, but overall it's good stuff.

St. Anger though, I still want my money back for that and I was a first day buyer.
    I try to see merits in albums that most would judge as poor, i.e., Van Halen 3. That said, I hate St. Anger, and that's coming from someone who liked LuLu.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    One song i dislike from "Re Load" is "Fuel", never liked it, never will... Agreed that St. Anger is shit, i was also a first day buyer (DVD version and all...) :/

Even though the black album isn't complete shiite, Metallica still pretty much died to me after Justice. It's not so much that they went to a thrash band (honestly, how many more heavy albums could they have made with themes of war, drugs, etc.) to a hard rock band so much that the music just flat out blows. And James Hetfield attempted to do more singing along with the HEY YEAHHAHHH! crap. I'm still befuddled at how much more popular they get even though so many of their fans bitch about them... yet still follow them.

Bizarre.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    14. The Outlaw Torn (Unencumbered By Manufacturing Restrictions Version)
    fixxxed, sir.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Memory Remains is the best thing this band ever achieved musically post Black Album both audio and video wise. I don't even like this band and find them grossly boring and overrated (also the worst of the "Big 4" thrash bands of the 80's/90's) but this song is excellent and has aged well. The music video is phenomenal as well.

Also for the record, I never liked anything this band has done either for the most part. Not a fan of even the 80's albums. I just don't care for them. So me saying this is a big compliment. Just my two cents anyways.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 09-17-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The Memory Remains is the best thing this band ever achieved musically post Black Album both audio and video wise. I don't even like this band and find them grossly boring and overrated (also the worst of the "Big 4" thrash bands of the 80's/90's) but this song is excellent and has aged well. The music video is phenomenal as well.

Also for the record, I never liked anything this band has done either for the most part. Not a fan of even the 80's albums. I just don't care for them. So me saying this is a big compliment. Just my two cents anyways.
    It's bizarre you'd say it about TMR of all songs. Video is indeed pretty classic '90s though.

I like it a lot on S&M because the production is way better.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Fun fact about that video, they all wore shades because they all had their eyes closed so they wouldn't get nauseous on that rig.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kind of annoying that they are not just releasing standard remastered reissues of both albums, in the $15.00 range.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Kind of annoying that they are not just releasing standard remastered reissues of both albums, in the $15.00 range.
    They're both on Amazon for pre-order in the $10 range.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I try to see merits in albums that most would judge as poor, i.e., Van Halen 3. That said, I hate St. Anger, and that's coming from someone who liked LuLu.
    You...what?

Would love to see more of their stuff on hdtracks but it doesn't seem likely.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    They're both on Amazon for pre-order in the $10 range.
    Must have missed that, thanks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    You...what?

Would love to see more of their stuff on hdtracks but it doesn't seem likely.
    Yeah, always dug it. But I'm honestly more of a Lou Reed fan and always dug his more off-beat stuff.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Is there a single disc edition for KEA? Can't seem to find it on amazon.

RE: Load and ReLoad. Some fans may have complained, but still, Metallica were arguably the biggest rock band in the late 90's.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Is there a single disc edition for KEA? Can't seem to find it on amazon.

RE: Load and ReLoad. Some fans may have complained, but still, Metallica were arguably the biggest rock band in the late 90's.
    It might end up taking over the original Amazon listing. The vinyl edition on that page is for "Pre-Order" and the CD is "Temporarily Out Of Stock". Metallica.com confirms that there are 3 editions for these remasters (CD/Vinyl/Box Set).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Has anyone heard the KEA or RTL remasters? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    These few lines from the Dynamic Range Database are accurate:

I have the original CD(s) from 1987/88 and also the 1995 Remaster(s). This is about the same loudness as the 1995 Remaster but it definitely has more punch and dynamics. It's not a wall of sound like the 1995 Remaster.
    It's the standard 6-11 DR that we've come to expect nowadays from releases; I personally prefer these over the 1994/95 George Marino remasters. The digitizing of the cassettes for the bonus material turned out rather well, the deck being a Nakamichi MR-2. The main thing here, though, is the availability of the two albums digitally in 24/96.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    well, it seems the 24bit and standard CD of KEA are both DR8, so probably not much to expect either way... sure beats DM though

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I got the RTL remaster. It's great. You can hear so much more Cliff. I'm excited for Justice for this reason.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I got the RTL remaster. It's great. You can hear so much more Cliff. I'm excited for Justice for this reason.
    Are there plans to reissue AJFA?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They will all be reissued.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Are they doing the post-Black Album stuff too?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

More importantly, have they moved past their dickishness and allow us to actually HEAR Jason Newsted's bass lines? I can't remember where I read it recently but the producer or guy who recorded it said that Jason laid down amazing bass lines for it that no one has heard because he was forced to turn them down all the way.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Oh yea I'm sure they will turn the bass up this time. But even Newstead says that he doesn't care because that album accomplished what it needed to do.

And justice for all is my first Metallica record and my favorite.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'd like to see a Load/Reload edition, where one of the extra discs is a whittled down version of the best songs from each disc (maybe include alternate takes, mixes, etc. to set itself apart from the original recordings). Bruce Springsteen sort of did that for his special edition of The River ​where one of the discs was a single-LP version.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Justice is probably their best, but damn do I love Master of Puppets.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    No way. AJFA is way too repetitive and bloated. There isn't a single unnecessary note on MOP.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Puppets is classic up and down the tracklist, but AJFA will always be closest to my heart. It has some of my favorite Metallica songs: Blackened, One, Dyer's Eve.