Thread: Gone Girl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've read others commenting on the film's supposed misogyny. Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I don't see it. She was a psychopath, yes, but I don't see the film, overall, as showing hatred for women.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I've read others commenting on the film's supposed misogyny. Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I don't see it. She was a psychopath, yes, but I don't see the film, overall, as showing hatred for women.
    Really? I don't see that at all.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Really? I don't see that at all.
    I don't either, @Charmingly Miserable .
    If anything, it's misanthropic. Nick is a terrible person and so is Amy.

I think that the movie (and book) is about never really knowing one another and the nature of individual existence.

I can't go to far because I can't find the fucking spoiler function.

But I will speak broadly.
    I've always felt that love is about seeing yourself through someone else's eyes.

Nick is NEVER genuine...and he exists exactly how the women in his life wants him to be.

And with Amy, there are more examples of course, but look at the difference between young Amy and Amazing Amy (who is an idealized version of Amy, the way her parents see her...remember, they do say that she IS Amazing Amy.)

So yeah, the subtext of this thing is about how malleable our personalities are, and how this makes us ultimately disingenuous...all of us, psychopathy or no psychopathy.

I think that the split narration in the book serves to illustrate this further.

I will write more when I have more internet time and someone reminds me of how to use the spoiler tag.

Oh yeah...and as far as Afflack goes (I like to call him AFLAK! like the insurance,) he has gotten better and better.
    I thought he was just a pretty face until The Town.
    Now I think he is a great director and talented actor.

AFLACK!
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.