Page 65 of 76 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2274

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That trailer has me jazzed.

Anyone excited for Nope?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw another trailer for Nope in front of a movie the other day and I wish I had left the theater. "Hey, you know that thing that's hinted at in the first trailer? What if we just blew our wad right here?!?" and it's less interesting now for some reason.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Idk I think Busta Rhymes might step in and save the day this time.
    I mean, they haven't referenced Resurrection yet in these movies, so why not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    That trailer has me jazzed.

Anyone excited for Nope?
    I can't remember the last time I was this excited to go see a movie in IMAX on opening night. But yes, I am completely stoked!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Good lord that looks awful! I knew this film was in trouble when I saw a leaked photo of the Creeper, and this just confirmed my fears. I still like the original (even if the director is a total creep), but honestly, it should have been a one and done affair.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    So yeah about that, I was pretty onboard with Prey until the face reveal... Sure, diegetically there's nothing to indicate the amount of genetic variance between one individual and another, and I get that tweaking a monster's design from sequel to sequel is what keeps things interesting, especially when your creature is traditionally masked. You gotta have an unmask moment, even if everyone knows what to expect.

And yeah after 35 years the design is too familiar to work anymore, so you have to keep your viewers on their toes (the more I rewatch the original the more I think he's a goofy motherfucker more than anything). But here, all you have left are the mandibles and the dreadlocks to identify it as the same species.

WHICH matters very little as I really enjoyed that one. It took its time, it didn't pretend it was doing anything mindblowing, and that's its simplicity that kept it interesting.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Prey as well. Solid B to B-. Once one cool thing is revealed, I really warmed up to it even more just because it tied things together more (keeping it vague). The main detraction for me was the CGI animals. I thought they looked terrible, As that aspect fades once we get more in to the meat of the movie, things improved. I really liked the dynamic between her & her brother. And he did a good job for his first movie!

another solid, entertaining review:

Also, I looked up the Predator series. I thought there were more movies than there are. Looking back, there's only one real misstep (well, if you let me ignore the AvP movies...b/c ya know...those suck and don't count)

Predator
    Predator 2
    Predators
    The Predator
    Prey

The Predator is awful, but Predators was a neat little flick, just like this one. Nothing bowls you over, but they are entertaining, clever enough and nothing embarrassing occurs. So despite alot of drama and stops & starts through the years, this franchise overall is in good shape.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Predators for what it was; felt like a Predator Lite to me. I love Adrien Brody and the cast was actually very good.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I enjoyed Predators for what it was; felt like a Predator Lite to me. I love Adrien Brody and the cast was actually very good.
    Heh, funny, I almost wrote a post describing the opposite ; it's the Predator elements pushed further : more diversity of backgrounds in the group, more jungley jungle (want jungle ? How about jungle planet ?), more, meanier predators...

Honestly only the cast holds it together for me, that conceit is just bonkers, complicated, and somewhat contrary to everything we had learned so far about the predators : why a remote hunting ground when your deal is to hunt locally ? Why (and honestly, how ?) do you pick and choose your prey when it seems like the challenge is to fight whatever fights back ?

It's all pretty cool, but it makes no sense to me. It's till far from "arctic pyramid of aliens" levels of clusterfuck, admittedly. And to be fair there's just so much you can milk out of a franchise where the pitch is "so it's a hunter... From outer-space !".

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Just came from this - since A24 sent me a free ticket - and it was fine.

Spoiler: Very millennial in the "you're so ableist!" "you're so toxic" bits. It was billed as a horror comedy. It was...maybe 1/4 horror and 1/3 comedy? the suspense was very well done, really kept you guessing. The ending was pretty against the grain, I kind of liked the way the stories all wrapped up there. My biggest gripe? There is no way that they used their phones for flashlights - while leaving the screen on the whole time! - all night long with no recharges. It's the tech version of "that gun only has a six-shot capacity". Also why are you walking around a house, afraid someone is hunting you down, and you have your light and screen on anyway?! Come on!

Super excited to see more stuff from Maria Bakalova for sure. And I spent the whole movie being, "is that Lee Pace?" because it sure looked like him (I had not seen a trailer beforehand) and then the end credits confirmed it. I was like, where are the eyebrows dude?

The trailers were just OK, there was one for "Prey for the Devil" that looked kind of alright until they did the ol' "What if we just showed you the entire movie?" trailer thing. If you like possession movies you might like this one but don't watch anything beforehand. Holy crap.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Halloween Ends will once again stream same day as its theatrical release.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    a great underrated mainstream horror movie that only doesn't get enough love because it's actually really fucked up? Predator 2

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Halloween Ends will once again stream same day as its theatrical release.
    Thank god. I was afraid I was going to have to pay to see it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Let's fucking go.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I actually really, really, really disliked Terrifier. In some ways I thought the whole thing was unnecessarily lazy, violent in ways that were unnecessary and had no purpose beyond shock value, and then it tried to get profound in a way that was absolutely bullshit.

But that's just my opinion, and as a horror fan, I get why some people really liked it.
    However, as a better alternative, in my personal opinion, check out the unrated cut of Intruder.
    Just make sure it's THE UNRATED CUT. Do not bother with the censored shit they want to sell you on amazon.

And make sure it's this movie, not that other bullshit with the same name.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095379...m_flmg_act_119

It needs to be the version that has this scene in it. And you're welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1474570589400417
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-24-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I actually really, really, really disliked Terrifier.
    You and me both. I haven't outright hated a film like that in a long time. Total amateur hour. I'll admit that Art The Clown has an interesting look, but the people that hold him up as some new horror icon are out of their minds. This new film looks like a very slight improvement over the first film, but it still looks and feels cheap overall.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I actually really, really, really disliked Terrifier. In some ways I thought the whole thing was unnecessarily lazy, violent in ways that were unnecessary and had no purpose beyond shock value, and then it tried to get profound in a way that was absolutely bullshit.

But that's just my opinion, and as a horror fan, I get why some people really liked it.
    However, as a better alternative, in my personal opinion, check out the unrated cut of Intruder.
    Just make sure it's THE UNRATED CUT. Do not bother with the censored shit they want to sell you on amazon.

And make sure it's this movie, not that other bullshit with the same name.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095379...m_flmg_act_119

It needs to be the version that has this scene in it. And you're welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1474570589400417
    I don't necessarily disagree. Terrifier is very low brow. It IS unnecessarily violent and it DOES go for shock value. But that is kinda the whole point of it. Movies like that just aren't made anymore. It is a callback to exploitation cinema. There are a few other examples of films that do this but they always put a modern spin on it whereas this doesn't and as a result it felt like a total breath of fresh air to me. I think you are probably wrong about it trying to be profound at the end though. I think it just ended with a shlocky twist the way all those films used to.

BUT, it is a very flawed movie. It's one premise stretched to feature length and there is almost no characterization for the protagonists. And apparently this new film is over 2 hours long so it will probably be worse, but I'll still watch it.

A lot of people don't know this, but Art the Clown actually got his start in a SHORT FILM called Terrifier. It was included as the final segment in "All Hallows Eve." THIS is the definitive ART the Clown movie to me. It's pretty much perfect. Short and sweet and creepy and doesn't wear out it's welcome.

Haven't seen or heard of Intruder but thanks for putting it on my radar!
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 08-24-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Ugh... Please be good. They have the writers that created The Night House which I found to be a fantastic flick, but can find no info on what they effects will look like.

People already losing their minds over a Pinhead gender swap.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    ^^^ Ugh... Please be good. They have the writers that created The Night House which I found to be a fantastic flick, but can find no info on what they effects will look like.

People already losing their minds over a Pinhead gender swap.
    No idea if it will be good or not but if there's one franchise that actually needs a reboot it's this one. I like the original and all but I've always thought it was a bit overrated. WAY too much Frank in that movie for me. And then most of the sequels are just VERY bad. Hope this one is at least decent.

Female Pinhead is actually a great idea I think. I'm not really a fan of changing established characters just for the sake of appeasing a small twitter mob either but that's not really the case here. The original book had Pinhead being somewhat androgynous from what I understand. So it's probably going to be closer to the source material. And well, if I gotta watch a movie about a sex demon, I guess I prefer a female demon.

And, I just watched The Night House this week! Overall I thought it was good at building tension but the ending did not do it for me at all. Could have gone into something more abstract I thought but ended up being a run of the mill thriller film. But yeah, the director of that who also directed The Ritual and V/H/S is who is directing this Pinhead movie so I'm hoping its good and it's quality is on par with his recent work. If they let him do what he wants with it and get weird I think it could be pretty sweet but we'll see.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I like the original and all but I've always thought it was a bit overrated.
    Agreed. I enjoy very out of the box, gory stuff. But I felt the sequels just relied purely on that shock factor and nothing else but incoherent storytelling.

The original book had Pinhead being somewhat androgynous from what I understand. So it's probably going to be closer to the source material. And well, if I gotta watch a movie about a sex demon, I guess I prefer a female demon.
    Hah, me too. And yes, correct about Pinhead. From what I found they are sticking close to the source material from The Hellbound Heart novella; It all comes down to the execution. Let the mob sob...

And, I just watched The Night House this week! Overall I thought it was good at building tension but the ending did not do it for me at all. Could have gone into something more abstract I thought but ended up being a run of the mill thriller film. But yeah, the director of that who also directed The Ritual and V/H/S is who is directing this Pinhead movie so I'm hoping its good and it's quality is on par with his recent work. If they let him do what he wants with it and get weird I think it could be pretty sweet but we'll see.
    3/4 of the movie I loved, and while I do agree somewhat about the ending, the movie made you think a little bit without making things very obvious. Just wish it didn't feel so anticlimactic, but the visuals, and Rebecca Hall were fantastic.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Can't be any shittier than any of other movies released post Hell on Earth.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I just rewatched A Dark Song, after a lot of discussion regarding the supernatural and ritual and such, with @burnmotherfucker!

This 2016 movie is critically acclaimed, fucking incredible, and very unique as it involves an actual extant ancient rite.

Rewatching it, though, it occurred to me that at least a tl,dr knowledge of the Abramelin Operation is needed to get the most out of this thing, imho.
    In fact, when I read all the glowing reviews on my plex server, I saw that EVERY REVIEWER missed a whole big ass layer of the film, and the handful of negative reviews almost exclusively came from people who didn't understand the context.

This is the ritual that Crowley attempted at Boleskine house in Scotland: the house eventually purchased by Jimmy Page, which he didn't spend much time in because it freaked HIM out.

So, yeah. I'm not saying you need to call Danny from Tool, or read the text, or become a Kabbalist.
    It just helps if you at least understand what they're trying to do, and that it's a purportedly real and ancient thing from a once rare book, that heavily influenced Thelema, among other weird shit.

Edit: hot damn! Here you go. This eerie gothboi fucker is trying to make the text's very existence, and himself, sound all horrifying, but this is enough knowledge, and it's short.

Last edited by elevenism; 09-02-2022 at 05:49 AM.