Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2274

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I re watched Halloween and the controversial element of the newest one , which I haven't seen but internet spoiled it, made sense to me. In the first one a big deal was made of Michael being able to talk but choosing not to. I think him talking at in the new one is perhaps closing out that arch.

So Barbarian. I liked it. I didn't like the introduction of the new character half way through. I did like him getting what he deserved though. Overall it was a flawed film, however a cool idea. There was lots to like. It wasn't nearly as messed up as people say which may be an indictment of my viewing habits lol.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zur En Arrh View Post
    So I re watched Halloween and the controversial element of the newest one , which I haven't seen but internet spoiled it, made sense to me. In the first one a big deal was made of Michael being able to talk but choosing not to. I think him talking at in the new one is perhaps closing out that arch.

So Barbarian. I liked it. I didn't like the introduction of the new character half way through. I did like him getting what he deserved though. Overall it was a flawed film, however a cool idea. There was lots to like. It wasn't nearly as messed up as people say which may be an indictment of my viewing habits lol.
    What are you on about with Michael talking being controversial in the new film? He doesn't speak in the new one and that's not why it sucks. There's about 100 reasons why the new one is terrible but that isn't one of them. Michael only speaks in Rob Zombie's H2.

And I guess Barbarian was better than most of the shit that gets pumped out these days. But I wouldn't say it was all that good either. The thing that took me out of it was the main character was dumb as fuck. Just kept making stupid decisions for the entirety of the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    What are you on about with Michael talking being controversial in the new film? He doesn't speak in the new one and that's not why it sucks. There's about 100 reasons why the new one is terrible but that isn't one of them. Michael only speaks in Rob Zombie's H2.

And I guess Barbarian was better than most of the shit that gets pumped out these days. But I wouldn't say it was all that good either. The thing that took me out of it was the main character was dumb as fuck. Just kept making stupid decisions for the entirety of the movie.
    So a few things. First, I was not as informed as I should of been when making that post about the new Halloween. I had seen a number of hot take/click bait YouTube titles saying "Michael speaks and it sucks" I then looked into it more and found out this isn't true. I also found out the general plot of the film is and wow! Just wow! The trailer was aparantly very misleading.

That leads me to watching Halloween kills last night. It was bad. The acting was bad. The plot was bad. The pretentious mob stuff was bad. All of it was bad.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Michael only speaks in Rob Zombie's H2.
    LOL

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I just watched X........

...... I want my 2 hours back.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I just watched X........

...... I want my 2 hours back.
    There's things I can appreciate about it but overall I thought it was another overrated modern horror film.

Ti West's real masterpiece is House of the Devil

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    There's things I can appreciate about it but overall I thought it was another overrated modern horror film.

Ti West's real masterpiece is House of the Devil
    Haven't seen yet, but on the list!

While X did start out promising, it devolved into an awkward, tropey, unintentionally funny waste of time. I did appreciate the callback to Texas Chainsaw with some of the atmosphere and shots, but I just couldn't take it seriously, especially after you figure out what is going on.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I actually really liked his movie The Sacrament, which was kind of a fictionalized version of the Jim Jones massacre.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    House of the Devil is indeed a solid low-budget flick.

Watched Nope last week and have watched it again since. Absolutely loved it. What a dense, layered film with expertly drawn characters, gorgeous visuals, and so much cinematic meat to sink your teeth into. I liked Us but it was way more loose and thematically muddled than the top-to-bottom ironclad Get Out - Nope feels like the wild originality of Us, multiplied by several times, and married to the thematic brilliance and clarity of vision on display in Peele's debut. Probably the least specifically "horror" of his films thus far and yet it contains some of his most horrific scenes (the Gordy sequences were terrifying, finally a film that understands how fucking frightening Spoiler: chimps are, and the Spoiler: StarLasso Experience scene where everyone is sucked into Jean Jacket...profoundly disturbing stuff!). Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Steven Yeun, Michael Wincott, all stellar and of course I'm always happy to see Keith David (if Peele had him and Wincott share a scene I'm pretty sure reality would have broken under the combined weight of their epic voices). Peele continues to prove himself a fiercely formidable talent and I can't wait to see what's next for him.

On the opposite side of things I watched Barbarian and uh, what exactly was the big deal? I've seen worse movies but it was pretty below average in my opinion. The first half is okay but by halfway through the film begins dragging itself out by having its characters (the lead in particular) do the most outrageously stupid shit you can imagine, simply because the writers are lazy / ineffective in determining ways to move the story forward. Hate that shit. Ultimately the story is fairly unoriginal, not to mention littered with holes noticeable in even the most cursory examination, and thematically it never coalesces into anything beyond a series of lazy "men sure do the most vile and awful things" tropes. There are some interested scenes in isolation but the full package is ultimately absurd and extremely underwhelming. Totally mystified by the hype honestly.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Has anyone watched Cabinet Of Curiosities on Netflix? Watched all of them so far except the final one (the final one stars Andrew Lincoln and directed by The Babadook director, and stars the woman from the Babadook as well, I think @elevenism ).

The second last episode is trippy as hell. They really capture the 1970's vibe the the constant use of stale yellow and the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    The second last episode is trippy as hell. They really capture the 1970's vibe the the constant use of stale yellow and the soundtrack.
    This seems to be Panos Cosmatos' -the episode director- signature style. If you haven't yet, watch Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy.

P.S. Cabinet of Curiosities was a fun watch overall! Did you have a favourite? I think mine was The Autopsy, closely followed by the Viewing.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 11-16-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I really liked Evil Dead Trap. It's basically Japan does Italian giallo, but turns into a David Cronenberg film at the end. Evil Dead Trap 2 though.... It has nothing to do with the first film at all, and I was so distracted by that. I need to rewatch it without that clouding my mind.

I also watched One Cut of the Dead. I hated it the first 30 minutes, but after that, when you start to see the actual context of those first 30 minutes through the rest of the film, I did a complete 180. Do not look into anything about it. I can't go into detail without spoiling it. Just don't go in expecting a scary zombie film, go in expecting something different.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Has anyone watched Cabinet Of Curiosities on Netflix? Watched all of them so far except the final one (the final one stars Andrew Lincoln and directed by The Babadook director, and stars the woman from the Babadook as well, I think @elevenism).

I wasn't a huge fan of the last episode, but I really enjoyed her last film, The Nightingale.

Panos Cosmatos is a trip. Lens flares as "tracers", someone is injected with heroin in all of his works, Oneohtrix Point Never, far out...
    Last edited by Jon; 11-18-2022 at 10:06 AM. Reason: ... and of course body horror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone watched Cabinet Of Curiosities on Netflix? Watched all of them so far except the final one (the final one stars Andrew Lincoln and directed by The Babadook director, and stars the woman from the Babadook as well, I think @elevenism).

I've watched them all except the last one. The standouts were the autopsy and cosmotos episode the viewing. The viewing was absolutely fantastic and I can't wait for cosmotos next film. Such a unique voice.

One thing my wife noticed was that each episode had either a monster with tentacles or tentacles on a statue or on a wall etc..the motif was def evident. All in all it was a good season. I'm going to watch the last one tonight however I will say I enjoyed ever episode,a few bad performances here and there (want the fuck was that accent Crispin?) But overall a good start. Hope it gets a season two.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    The last one was incredibly boring.

The Viewing and The Autopsy were my favourites. It was cool to see the owner of the house from Thirteen Ghosts (remake) in the latter, Cyrus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last one was incredibly boring.

The Viewing and The Autopsy were my favourites. It was cool to see the owner of the house from Thirteen Ghosts (remake) in the latter, Cyrus.
    Yeah they were dope episodes. Easily my fav episodes of an anthology series lately.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just watched Wes Craven's Shocker. Really, Really stupid. Kind of fun, a bit long.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    5 was one of the laziest, most predictable movies I have ever seen. Now they're pulling a Jason In Manhattan lolol.

It's absolute cringe when you read comments that say "Movie of the century" and people actually like it.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 12-14-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Loved 5 and found it a big surprise being one of the better sequels.

However this is getting to become the next big franchise to milk endlessly. How many we gonna aim for? 8? 10?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    People will be saying this until the end of time. Horror movies will continue to be made solely on how much cheaper they are compared to other big movies. Halloween Ends was widely panned (I dug it) and still made $105 million. On a budget 1/3 of that. And it made the least of the three. Even then it was profitable. Not even talking about when they strike gold (i.e. the first 2018 one made $255 million on a $10 million budget).

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I like that Jenna Ortega is in it.

I like how they incorporated the VI into the M in the title.

I like how the scream mask is based off Edvard Munch's "The Scream".

I won't watch it.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    5 was one of the laziest, most predictable movies I have ever seen. Now they're pulling a Jason In Manhattan lolol.

It's absolute cringe when you read comments that say "Movie of the century" and people actually like it.
    I am glad to hear you say this. I feel the exact same way and my opinion on that movie hasn't changed with time. 5 was awful. One of the most bland movies I've ever seen. This does look like Jason Takes Manhattan but unlike that movie I doubt anyone's head will get punched clear off their shoulders. lol

Can we just go ahead and call it that from now on, if it ain't directed by Wes Craven, it ain't Scream cannon.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I am glad to hear you say this. I feel the exact same way and my opinion on that movie hasn't changed with time. 5 was awful. One of the most bland movies I've ever seen. This does look like Jason Takes Manhattan but unlike that movie I doubt anyone's head will get punched clear off their shoulders. lol

Can we just go ahead and call it that from now on, if it ain't directed by Wes Craven, it ain't Scream cannon.
    If a head is punched off of its shoulders in this movie, I'll give it 5 stars.

The newer sequels feel cheap, and forced. I'm just not having fun watching them, man hahaa.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If a head is punched off of its shoulders in this movie, I'll give it 5 stars.

The newer sequels feel cheap, and forced. I'm just not having fun watching them, man hahaa.
    1 > 2 > 4 > 5 >3

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    At this point, Scream just seems like such an outdated concept to me. I still love the original film, and I think the first two sequels are fun in their own way, but I never felt like I needed more than that. Scream 4 was a slog, even with Craven at the helm for the last time. I didn't even bother with the latest film because it just didn't appeal to me at all. Changing the location to New York City doesn't feel like the big leap that they want it to be. It feels a bit desperate more than anything else.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Exactly how I feel. 5 didn't appeal to me whatsoever, but I had some downtime watching my parents dog, and it was on so I said "Fuck it."

About an hour in, I hated it and nonchalantly guessed who the killer(s) were going to be. Just painfully obvious, along with 4. There is something about the casting in the new movies that just bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    1 > 2 > 4 > 5 >3
    1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 5

It's weird, I've seen 2 so many times and I can barely remember anything from it. 3 is dumb, but it's still a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 12-15-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 5

It's weird, I've seen 2 so many times and I can barely remember anything from it. 3 is dumb, but it's still a lot of fun.
    So glad to see you give 3 some love. It somehow became the default "worst" Scream movie. Everyone just repeats this without putting much thought into it. I think this only occurred because for a long time it was probably true to say it was the worst, when there were only 3 films. May be some recency bias at play as well here. 4 didn't age all that well and 5 is going to age like milk. Wait and see.

People say the killer reveal in Scream 3 is what killed the movie. And I agree it was lazy and sloppy. But any criticism of 3 can be equally leveled at 4 and even 2. Lazy brother killer reveal phoned in? How about lazy cousin reveal phoned in? But 3 was still the 90s and most of the cast was on board and it felt more in line with the first 2 albeit with more comedy. 3 drags in the last hour though, but then again so does 2, which also has a ridiculous "family member killer" reveal. But 3 has a great first hour and it also has the best ending in the entire franchise and one that probably should have been the end to Sid's story.

At the end of the day I take 2 over 3 but mostly because of all the dialogue in the classroom scenes and the deconstruction of sequels. And the inclusion of the Stab franchise. 2's biggest crime was offing Randy though, that was shortsighted and just plain stupid.

4 has a cool opening sequence but ultimately doesn't really justify it's existence. 5 is dogshit that should have never happened.

1>2>3>4>5

Much like the Evil Dead, this one goes in release order for me.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    3 is dumb, but it's still a lot of fun.
    Scream 3 is definitely my favorite of the sequels. It's pretty much the Scooby Doo version of Scream, but that's why I like it. I can see why it disappointed people at the time, but I think it works for the most part. I'd certainly rather watch it over Scream 4.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    It's weird, I've seen 2 so many times and I can barely remember anything from it.
    "It's some dumb ass white movie about some dumb ass white girls gettin' they white asses cut the fuck up, okay?"