Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2274

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Anyone else have a top horror list of the year?
    I promise i'm not doing anything weird like compiling everyone's suggestions and adding them to my Plex...currently...like, at this very moment, which is why i'm in the thread.
    I mean, i'd never do anything like THAT. You guys know me!

also...wait, @eversonpoe ... where in the fuck are we finding screeners these days?
    I haven't found a screener since covid.

Are screeners extant once more, in this strange world of batshit crazy inanity?
    i edit the Halloweenies podcast and those guys still get sent screeners (which i'm not sure if they're just private streaming links or physical discs but i'd be the former)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i edit the Halloweenies podcast and those guys still get sent screeners (which i'm not sure if they're just private streaming links or physical discs but i'd be the former)
    You halloweenie sceneieweenie, you.

That's word, though, @eversonpoe

Pre-covid, one could type SCREENER 2019 into certain search engines, and acquire leaked screeners of anything being CONSIDERED for awards.
    @BRoswell , yeah , 3 from hell is a mess.

I have a STRANGE feeling that the original script included Sid Haig, and his death fucked it all up.

As gorgeous as the ending of Devil's Rejects is, it's kind of a horror trope for the bad guys to repeatedly die and, emerge once more, unscathed.

I think 3 From Hell would have been a very different movie if we hadn't lost the lead.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-17-2023 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I have a STRANGE feeling that the original script included Sid Haig, and his death fucked it all up..
    That's pretty much what happened. According to Zombie, his character was originally in the script all the way, but he was in poor health at the time, and Zombie was going to write him out completely because he wasn't sure if Haig would be able to handle the shoot. Unfortunately, the film's financiers wouldn't commit to funding the film unless he was in it in some way, so Zombie rewrote the film so that he had one scene, then dies offscreen. Personally, I think Zombie should have just made it into a comic book like he originally intended to do.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    "Beau Is Afraid" sounds promising... 3 hours long!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ok, @elevenism

erica (nesting partner/girlfriend) and i saw skinamarink last night in the theater, which was basically dead silent (thank fucking goodness)

here's my spoiler-free review: https://letterboxd.com/eversonpoe/film/skinamarink/

for real, i am still fucking freaked out, and so is erica

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    @elevenism - so when are you going to buy this 40 year old snow globe promoting The Shining for me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30471245007...Bk9SR6LVl_O8YQ

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Anyone else think "Smile" felt almost 100% like "It Follows"?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but the trailer definitely gave me that vibe, which is why I avoided it. I still feel like the only one who didn't care for It Follows.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    anyone else catch Infinity Pool yet? It's the new Brandon Cronenberg movie starring Alexander Skargaard & Mia Goth. Less focused than Possessor, but still worth the watch if you want to be challenged by a purposefully obtuse movie in Cronenberg's in your face, bloody, gory, shocking style. There's alot to like here, alot to criticize, and I think the main message of the movie is pretty obvious, but I am not as clear on some of the other things Cronenberg was trying to do or say here. I felt alot of the gore & attempts at shock value were purely that this time around and didn't serve much of a point to the narrative. Like, alot of it was done just to shock the audience (part. that last shot of Goth & Skarsgaard on the grass....oooooooh edgy!).

I will say this too: Skarsgaard's ability to 150% commit to a role is extremely impressive. The Northman comes to mind as well.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    anyone else catch Infinity Pool yet? It's the new Brandon Cronenberg movie starring Alexander Skargaard & Mia Goth. Less focused than Possessor, but still worth the watch if you want to be challenged by a purposefully obtuse movie in Cronenberg's in your face, bloody, gory, shocking style. There's alot to like here, alot to criticize, and I think the main message of the movie is pretty obvious, but I am not as clear on some of the other things Cronenberg was trying to do or say here. I felt alot of the gore & attempts at shock value were purely that this time around and didn't serve much of a point to the narrative. Like, alot of it was done just to shock the audience (part. that last shot of Goth & Skarsgaard on the grass....oooooooh edgy!).

I will say this too: Skarsgaard's ability to 150% commit to a role is extremely impressive. The Northman comes to mind as well.
    A. Skarsgaard had been underrated for a while now, glad to see him in more stuff these days. I haven't seen the film yet but it's pretty much the only new horror film on my must watch list at the moment, unless you count Ari Aster's next film as a horror.

I liked Possessor and it had me ready to see what the youngster did next. I'm a big OG Cronenberg fan, but I hated Crimes of the Future. It'll be interesting to see and compare father and son making films at the same time. So far I'd say he's lived up to the name, and that isn't really easy to do.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but the trailer definitely gave me that vibe, which is why I avoided it. I still feel like the only one who didn't care for It Follows.
    i loved smile. felt like a send-up of elevated horror that ended up being genuinely terrifying toward the end. also i think it earned all its jump scares. and while it does have SOME in common with It Follows, it didn't feel derivative to me.

Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    A. Skarsgaard had been underrated for a while now, glad to see him in more stuff these days. I haven't seen the film yet but it's pretty much the only new horror film on my must watch list at the moment, unless you count Ari Aster's next film as a horror.

I liked Possessor and it had me ready to see what the youngster did next. I'm a big OG Cronenberg fan, but I hated Crimes of the Future. It'll be interesting to see and compare father and son making films at the same time. So far I'd say he's lived up to the name, and that isn't really easy to do.
    i loved Possessor so much that i wrote a song about it.

i also loved Crimes Of The Future and thought it was absolutely hilarious (which i'm 100% sure was intentional on cronenberg's part).

saw Infinity Pool on sunday and while it didn't affect me as deeply as Possessor, it was FUN.

sadly theaters are showing the R-rated cut, not the unrated, which means no skarsgard peen hahaha

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i loved Possessor so much that i wrote a song about it.
    so that's why the film title keeps naggling at the back of my brain, lol

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    so that's why the film title keeps naggling at the back of my brain, lol
    hahaha yup, and i named the 3-CD comp after it because it seemed appropriate. still really proud of the packaging design i did for that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Having watched Skinamarink, can't help but admire the ambition of the director. While I feel it was too long, it feels refreshing to see a horror creator push hard to try something new. It feels like the closest we'll ever get to an adaptation of House of Leaves, and I can't help but also be reminded of David Lynch's early short films. Can I say it's a great film? No. The narrative is super loose. It does contain a lot of eerie imagery that I'm sure I'm gonna think about for a few days. It's like what you imagine a Jandek album cover being as a film. Will definitely watch it again, along with the Director's other work on YouTube. Heck, his short film, is very similar, but has a few differences, and is a lot more digestible. I'm also reminded of the videogame creator kittyhorrorshow, who did the game Anatomy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Sorry to be MIA from this thread for so long with such interesting discussions having gone on! Gonna endeavor to address some of the movies I've seen recently and that have been discussed in this thread as of late, word vomit incoming.

Cabinet of Curiosities series - It was a mixed bag, basically a collection of one hour movies, but the highs more than justify the lows. The Autopsy (episode 3), The Outside (episode 4), The Murmuring (episode 8), and especially The Viewing (episode 7) were all very strong, Lot 36 (episode 1) and Pickman's Model (episode 5) were decent, and Graveyard Rats (episode 2) and Dreams in the Witch House (episode 6) were awful. Basically any episode involving rats sucks but the rest are worthwhile.

Doctor Sleep - Personally I find this to be a fascinating, if not entirely successful, film. Flanagan had an impossible task in making a sequel to King's novel into a sequel to Kubrick's film - as you all have discussed thoroughly, I haven't read the book but am well aware that they are entirely different stories. It's a balancing act that was never going to work perfectly, balancing the conflicting tones and themes of Kubrick and King's differing takes on the narrative, but I think it works far better than it should. It's most successful when it is keeping the overt "sequel to Kubrick" elements at arm's length and focusing on its own new territory (was honestly impressed at how disturbing Spoiler: the True Knot's murder of the baseball boy was), and while it's too hampered by shoehorned in legacy-quel crap to run away with praising, I found it to be pretty intriguing. But then again I fucking love Rebecca Ferguson and she basically owns that movie so take that as you will.

Skinamarink - Saw this in theaters a couple weeks ago and while I am generally more drawn to character-driven narratives than experimental stuff (and this definitely qualifies - only the vaguest notion of story and character are apparent throughout), I was very impressed at what a discomfiting experience it was. Obviously it is wildly open to interpretation but with so much based around Spoiler: inexplicable trauma experienced by children in a domestic setting, to me it felt like Spoiler: watching life in a horrifically abusive household through the eyes of the abused children, like a parent had murdered their spouse and children and themselves and that the whole narrative we were watching were these tortured spirits suspended in hellish limbo (hence the 911 operator being able to hear but not help them). Really happy stuff like that! The comparisons to stuff like Lynch's Rabbits was very apt.

Infinity Pool - Saw this the weekend it came out. Like many of you here, I absolutely loved Possessor (Crimes of the Future was fascinating but I think Brandon absolutely surpassed his old man with his sophomore effort) and while Infinity Pool isn't quite as cohesive and ironclad masterful as Brandon Cronenberg's previous film, it is nonetheless an incredibly original and thought-provoking foray into his brand of adult scifi horror. Unlike Possessor, which was only ever funny in the most cosmic sense, Infinity Pool is terribly disturbing and extremely funny simultaneously, with a story and characters that are just dripping with sarcasm and dramatic irony. Possessor was about how the ultra wealthy employ technology to bend others to their will, to hollow out their employees' souls and render them emotionless automatons with no human feelings to impede their functionality - in essence, how they destroy the souls of others. But Infinity Pool is about how those same ultra wealthy destroy their own souls, how their experiencing the world as a guilt free playground with only hypothetical consequences enables and encourages their moral degradation (not to mention the toxic masculinity laden arc of our protagonist). Fascinating and often hilarious in the blackest sense. Great performances once more from his cast (between this and The Northman I continue to be more and more impressed with Alexander Skarsgaard) and some truly wild sequences and visuals. Cronenberg Jr has already established himself to be a worthwhile, original director in his own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Though, apparently his favorite film of all time is William Friedkin's "Sorcerer," so his taste in films can't be ALL that bad.
    Yeah his taste on adaptations of his work can be iffy (he knew well enough to praise The Mist at least) but agreed, Sorcerer is a masterpiece and his appreciation of it definitely speaks well of his sense of taste.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I think Cabinet of Curiosities is amazing... it's like Creepshow (the tv series) but better and more mature.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DBD is one of my favorite games, so this is great.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Junji Ito Maniac was suuuuch a trainwreck... I'm a fan of his work, but they lost everything that makes his stories creepy. Fundamentally the art style. If you take out the way he draws and presents things, his framing, his rhythm, you just have goofy stories about head balloons and sassy hair. His stories aren't scary, the way he tells them is. The guy managed to make his beloved cats creepy, telling banal stories about his pets and making them hilariously terrifying.

They just... Made an anime with it. And it just doesn't work, at all.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Scream VI is all the buys. ’Tis a beauty.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I think Cabinet of Curiosities is amazing... it's like Creepshow (the tv series) but better and more mature.
    Guillermo had a great formula, just find a group of (mostly) great and interesting directors and just let them make their own 1 hour films. As opposed to Creepshow, which has a fun but extremely predictable formula, the episodes of Cabinet varied wildly from one to another and made for some intriguing viewing.

Also I forgot to note earlier, I absolutely loved The Menu. Strikes a similar chord to Ready Or Not with its balance of humor and horror but dramatically ended up hitting harder than that film. Exceptional cast - Fiennes is perfectly cast, Anya Taylor-Joy continues to be one of the best working, and the whole ensemble from Hoult to Leguizamo were just on fire. Almost felt like a Christopher Guest horror story with how beautifully and hilariously it skewers its cast of insulated rich twits with no self awareness and their heads firmly up their asses. Beautiful score from Colin Stetson (Hereditary, Color Out of Space) too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Return To Silent Hill begins filming next month, writers/director/cast announced. Will be based on the second game.

Article.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Good to see Shelley Duvall acting again. Dr Phil was a real prick to her.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    We just saw He's Watching.

It was pretty damn cool, and i caught the general vibe, but I'm honestly gonna need to see it again to try to catch all of it.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Anyone checked out Mr. Harrigan’s Phone on Netflix based off the Stephen King short story? Nice to see Donald Sutherland in it.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Good to see Shelley Duvall acting again. Dr Phil was a real prick to her.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Post #666 for me. Time to throw on The Omen!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw Renfield, really fun movie.