Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2273

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Comedies are funnier if the audience is laughing, and horror movies are scarier if the audience is scared.
    How so exactly? I think I completely disagree. But maybe this is a thing extroverted people experience? Idk?

But to be fair to @Self.Destructive.Pattern I actually think your story might prove his point. If, for example, I was told before going to see a movie that there was a homeless drunk that would be sitting in there snickering with one of the locals about all of the screaming girls who are surprised that a horror film included...horror, and cheering at other's reactions, then I would try and go to another showtime, personally.

When I see a film in a packed house, I'm just reminded of how stupid your average moviegoer can be. There is nothing better than buying a movie ticket and 10 minutes into a film realizing there is no one else coming and you've got the place to yourself.

Oh, and let's not even mention all the slushing of drinks, rattling through popcorn bags and candy rappers, and smacking of food that occurs by most of the mouth breathing public during a sold out show.

Martin Scorsese, Christopher Nolan, and Quentin Tarantino be dammed. Watching a great film in the quiet of your own home is the superior experience in the 21st century and quite frankly, it's not even close. And it's only going to get better as quality TV prices fall and everyone essentially has a home theatre.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Not to derail this thread further, but I would still take the theatrical experience over home viewing any day of the week. I've had some bad theater experiences, but the majority have been good, and some have even been pretty memorable. Yes, there's more comfort when it comes to home viewing, but for me, unless you're rich enough to have a proper theater in your home, it's not the same thing.

To get back on topic, I was talking to a friend the other day about how it had been twenty years since we saw our first R-rated film in theaters. We saw Freddy vs. Jason in a packed theater on opening night, and let me tell you, that was an amazing experience. That crowd ate that film up. The film is what it is, but with that crowd, it became an event. A similar thing happened when I went to see the Dawn Of The Dead remake and Saw the following year. Yeah, people can be rowdy, but sometimes the crowd makes the film. I've seen all three films since then, and they all felt really lame without that energy behind them. (That and I'm also twenty years older now, so my tastes have changed a bit.)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    @BRoswell

No derail, I appreciate your take. This is going to come down to the individual and what they prefer. In fact, I would not be surprised to find that those that share my opinion are in the minority.

But it seems to me that there are two things at play here in the home vs theatre camps.

Those that enjoy a packed house seem to really enjoy watching an audience react to a film. Whereas I just enjoy watching the film.

I'm not the least bit interested what a crowd of random people think about it, especially if it's the first time I'm seeing it. I feel the very same way about music. I'd much rather throw on my favorite album than see my favorite band play the same album all the way through. I suppose there's something about crowds I find to be vulgar and cynical. In fact, since we've been discussing Ari Aster, isn't this what the final scene in Beau hints at? Isn't that what a theatre crowd really is?

Idk, I'm just spitballin' here.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Those that enjoy a packed house seem to really enjoy watching an audience react to a film. Whereas I just enjoy watching the film.
    It's not really the crowds so much as the cumulative experience. There's something about seeing a film in a theater on a really big screen with a good sound system that just hits you differently than at home. I say that as someone who has a big 4K TV and a surround sound system, and who has enjoyed lots of films at home too. I also usually don't go see films when everyone else does, so my experience with rude crowds has lessened over the years. But yeah, sometimes being in a crowded theater watching a film has a certain energy that being at home can't compare to. I saw the re-release of Stop Making Sense back in September at an IMAX theater, and the crowd was so into it, singing along, even dancing a little bit. I've seen it at home several times, but that experience was just magical to me.

For me, I find being at home more distracting than being at a theater. I'm always checking my phone, fiddling with something, getting up to grab a snack or use the bathroom. When I'm in a theater, it's the only thing holding my attention. (My bladder be damned!) Occasionally you'll get some dickhead who won't shut up or who keeps messing with something, but with the cost of tickets and concessions these days, I've noticed that people who are there to see a film aren't going just to play on their phones or chat with others. They're going to watch the film. That's just my own experience though. I can see why home viewing is attractive, and I enjoy it myself, but it's just not on the same level as a theatrical screening for me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you guys really need to get an Alamo Drafthouse near you if your main concern at the theater is the potential of other assholes ruining the movie. The Alamo Drafthouse chain of theaters play a good mix of big mainstream movies & smaller indie movies. They def. cater to lovers of cinema too, as they frequently have screenings of older movies, theme nights, etc.

The big thing though is this: they don't tolerate ANYONE ruining a movie. If anyone is talking, texting, etc. you can write a complaint on a card and the usher will give the person one warning, then they're tossed out. I've seen it happen. They also make it VERY clear before the movie starts that these are the ground rules. And it's a dine-in type of theater, so the staff are constantly buzzing around during the movies so it won't take long to get something handled. They are also 18+ and you aren't allowed to arrive late to a screening. Because of all this, it's rare that you even get anyone going there who is gonna do dumb shit. It's the only way I will go to the movies now.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    What did you guys think of Evil Dead Rise? Watched it last night and enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    What did you guys think of Evil Dead Rise? Watched it last night and enjoyed it.
    Decent albeit I prefer the 2013 remake as far as modern Evil Dead goes.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Decent albeit I prefer the 2013 remake as far as modern Evil Dead goes.
    I went to the midnight screening of that when it first came out. Went alone and had too many beers beforehand, fell asleep halfway through and woke up after everyone had left the theatre. lol

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    watching it right now and it's great. Not cutting any corners. The concept of it all taking place in this huge, rotting, old apt building in total darkness with pouring rain outside reminded me of the setting and look of many 90's movies.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    watching it right now and it's great. Not cutting any corners. The concept of it all taking place in this huge, rotting, old apt building in total darkness with pouring rain outside reminded me of the setting
    and look of many 90's movies.
    That giant amalgamation of Deadites was epic, lol. And extremely hard to film from what I read. The Marauder.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you guys really need to get an Alamo Drafthouse near you if your main concern at the theater is the potential of other assholes ruining the movie. The Alamo Drafthouse chain of theaters play a good mix of big mainstream movies & smaller indie movies. They def. cater to lovers of cinema too, as they frequently have screenings of older movies, theme nights, etc.

The big thing though is this: they don't tolerate ANYONE ruining a movie. If anyone is talking, texting, etc. you can write a complaint on a card and the usher will give the person one warning, then they're tossed out. I've seen it happen. They also make it VERY clear before the movie starts that these are the ground rules. And it's a dine-in type of theater, so the staff are constantly buzzing around during the movies so it won't take long to get something handled. They are also 18+ and you aren't allowed to arrive late to a screening. Because of all this, it's rare that you even get anyone going there who is gonna do dumb shit. It's the only way I will go to the movies now.
    yeah they don't import those things up here, I wish they would/could.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    watching it right now and it's great. Not cutting any corners. The concept of it all taking place in this huge, rotting, old apt building in total darkness with pouring rain outside reminded me of the setting and look of many 90's movies.
    Also, (mostly) Aussie cast ftw!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    They're gonna whore out this franchise until its as soulless as its predecessors that inspired it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    They're gonna whore out this franchise until its as soulless as its predecessors that inspired it.
    That's the way of horror genre lol.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Completely disagree, oh high and mighty maker of this here thread. Terrifier has always been about fun and embracing everything that made slashers great post 1980. Leone even turned down studios after the success of Terrifier 2 because he could see that they would not let him be as extreme as he wanted. And thank fucking god there is at least ONE slasher franchise going today that is just wall to wall fun. Let the practical effects blood flow I say.

Also, this video seems relevant to the discussion had here earlier about theatres and Beau is afraid, etc. Worth a gander...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ that was a great video by Chris. very valid points.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Watched “Talk To Me” last night. The first 30 minutes made me want to turn it off and I hated the actors, but when things started getting to the supernatural / special effects, it surprised me how good it was.

Of course, a sequel and prequel are planned.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm a big Lovecraft fan. I recently watched this YouTube video of 50 Lovecraftian films, so I decided to start going through the list.

I'd already seen many, of course (The Lighthouse, From Beyond, Event Horizon, Reanimator, The Call of Cthulhu, In the Mouth of Madness, Color out of Space, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Void, Underwater, Annihilation, The Mist, Cthulhu, Alien, The Thing, Cloverfield, The Empty Man, a few more).

So far I've caught up on Castle Freak, Spring, The Dunwich Horror, Daniel Isn't Real, Pandorum, The Unnamable, and The Crimson Cult (aka Curse of the Crimson Altar). As expected, they vary from ridiculous and cheesy to surprisingly interesting and creepy.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I'm a big Lovecraft fan. I recently watched this YouTube video of 50 Lovecraftian films, so I decided to start going through the list.

I'd already seen many, of course (The Lighthouse, From Beyond, Event Horizon, Reanimator, The Call of Cthulhu, In the Mouth of Madness, Color out of Space, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Void, Underwater, Annihilation, The Mist, Cthulhu, Alien, The Thing, Cloverfield, The Empty Man, a few more).

So far I've caught up on Castle Freak, Spring, The Dunwich Horror, Daniel Isn't Real, Pandorum, The Unnamable, and The Crimson Cult (aka Curse of the Crimson Altar). As expected, they vary from ridiculous and cheesy to surprisingly interesting and creepy.

I don't think I'm seeing Dagon in this list. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It is quite cheesy, but overall pretty decent for what it is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Dagon is one that I've already seen, and left out. Someone put a comment on the video with a listing, but it's not a complete list.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Meh?

Meh.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Looks somewhat better than the latest Exorcist film, but yeah, I doubt this one will have much to offer. Also, I love Fever Ray, but I wish If I Had A Heart would stop getting used so much.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Watched Infinity Pool and Influencer recently. Would recommend both.

Thanksgiving was campy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This ended up being a mostly bland film with maybe one effective scare in the entire film and like 5 moments so bad you'll wanna laugh. For such a goofy premise,they should have either went for a horror comedy or some arthouse experiment. Aiming for cookie cutter entertainment wastes what little potential there was.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Neve Campbell and​ Courteney Cox have both apparently turned down offers from Spyglass to appear in Scream VII. Yikes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Neve Campbell and​ Courteney Cox have both apparently turned down offers from Spyglass to appear in Scream VII. Yikes.
    Can't say I blame them. The producers have shot themselves in the foot a couple times now. I wasn't that impressed with either of the newest films, so honestly, my interest in another is pretty low at this point.