Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2317

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The Spooky season is upon us!!

I caught I Saw The TV Glow a couple weeks ago and I thought it was fantastic. A deeply human film. And, without spoilers, that scene toward the end that took place in an arcade was soul crushing. Been thinking about it ever since. Yet to see Cuckoo but it looks interesting.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this completely. Longlegs was great. It very carefully walks a tightrope between black comedy and genuine horror which is not an easy thing to do. If it has any faults I'd say they come in the final sequence but even so, the last scene just before before the credits roll was chef's kiss. Caught an interview Osgood Perkins did and it was worth the listen. He's direct and honest in a way most directors aren't. And I mean, the trick he lifted from Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, of all films, paid off very well I think.

For me, it fell just shy of The Blackcoat's Daughter for his best film, although it is undeniably more fun. But the Blackcoat's Daughter was just a much more lean and pure horror film, very much in the same league as The VVitch and Hereditary and, like those 2 movies, was made before the A24 trend caught fire in horror, so he was ahead of the game I think.

Oh, speaking of Blackcoat's, Kiernan Skipka's small cameo like role in Longlegs was brilliant and she completely stole that scene.
    Agreed! I always learn about new stuff I never knew about from you, hahaa. I think I remember you bringing up Blackcoat awhile back, I have to get on that!

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just watched Longlegs, and man... What a ride. BRAVO to Nicolas Cage for playing one of the creepiest, twisted antagonists I have ever seen on screen. He brings so much dedication to the role, you would think Longlegs was a real person. There is of course a scene where you get vintage, over-the-top Cage, but it fits with the character so well, you cannot help but just appreciate it.

The film is incredibly well thought out, tightly directed, with a lot of little things that you will pass up if your eyes aren't peeled. There is one particular piece of camera work I don't think I've ever seen in a horror film, towards the end, and there are a few things that aren't 100% explained, but I don't feel they need to be.

Maika Monroe is also another that really dives into her role. She is offbeat, doesn't say much, and adds to the allure, and dread the movie carries. She comes off just as mysterious to the audience, as she does to the characters that are around her. All the acting is so solid here, you really get pulled in, especially wearing headphones.

All in all, the movie really starts off strong, and then goes off the rails midway, to the end, once you start to learn more about Longlegs, which is also not fully explained, and doesn't need to be. It adds to the legacy of the character that the less you know, the better in this case. The movie knows exactly what it wants to be, and what it is trying to showcase to the audience.

I can understand why some may not get too invested into the movie, but it's rare that you get original stuff like this. You really need to leave your expectations at the door.
    I watched it yesterday, i liked it.

Reminded me to many "crime-thrillers" like "Silence of the Lambs", "Zodiac" even "Exorcist 3", that was a good thing.
    The direction, photography and sound design are awesome, but the story is not great and i didn't like the way they tried to explain everything at the end, but it's worth a watch specially for Nicholas Cage's role.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Reminded me to many "crime-thrillers" like "Silence of the Lambs", "Zodiac" even "Exorcist 3", that was a good thing.
    That's exactly why I wasn't crazy about it. I kept thinking I could be watching those films instead. Nic Cage was definitely the best thing about the film, but he's done so many gonzo performances over the years that it didn't bowl me over like it did a lot of people. Also, it was tonally at odds with the rest of the film. I'm sure that was the point, but I felt like it clashed in a way that didn't quite work.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's exactly why I wasn't crazy about it. I kept thinking I could be watching those films instead. Nic Cage was definitely the best thing about the film, but he's done so many gonzo performances over the years that it didn't bowl me over like it did a lot of people. Also, it was tonally at odds with the rest of the film. I'm sure that was the point, but I felt like it clashed in a way that didn't quite work.
    Yea, I can see that for sure. If the tone was off, I would say the scene with him in the car would be the one I'd choose. I thought the rest aligned with his character, from the small context you get about him.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Been reading about The Dark And The Wicked from 2020. Apparently there are some pretty intense moments? Worth a watch?

edit: didn’t like it.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-12-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Checked out In A Violent Nature last night since it's now on Shudder. Probably a bit overhyped, but I liked what it set out to do in terms of subverting certain expectations. Kind of felt like a slasher tone poem at times. There were some bits that had me howling with laughter, and a couple of the kills definitely made me cringe a bit.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Dude I am so bummed that there won't be a new Mike Flanagan series on Netflix this year. That had easily become my favorite horror past-time around Halloween.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Hey, Kermode liked it!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    damn, wish Salem's Lot was being released in theaters. actually looks kinda good. Loved the book.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Holy moly, the Substance is fucking incredible. What a wild ride to see in the theater. Outside of Nosferatu or Anora, gonna be hard to think of anything that might top it this year for me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Agreed, saw it last night and was extremely impressed. Hypnotic direction, phenomenal performances (a real tour de force turn from Demi Moore), a blistering screenplay, and some truly outstanding and marvelously disgusting visual effects. It belabors its point a little bit, probably could have shaved off 5 to 10 minutes, but it's an excellent and powerful experience, that's for damn sure.

There have been some very solid horror films this year - Longlegs (like Nicolas Cage's role as the titular character) was a refreshingly strange and unsettling take on the Silence of the Lambs style serial killer movie which I was grateful dove headfirst into Spoiler: unambiguous supernatural horror, Late Night with the Devil was a really entertaining and well executed riff on a Ghostwatch-style story with a well deserved starring role for David Dastmalchian, Cuckoo was a uneven but earnest and endearing film that counterbalances some of its flimsier plotting with effective performances from an intriguing cast and a truly strange, disarming story that still ends up coming together and working in its own odd way, and even stuff like Sting and Abigail ended up being pretty fun (though this year's Infested, on Shudder, was undoubtedly the stronger killer spider movie this year, but frankly I'm just stoked to see killer spiders back in the horror movie game). I Saw the TV Glow was an ingenious and powerfully affecting film and while not as specifically "horror" as these other films, it earns its place in genre discussions for one of the Spoiler: most hauntingly bleak and disturbing endings I can remember in a while and was one of my favorites of the year thus far. And it was technically a 2023 film but I was a big fan of Robert Morgan's Stopmotion, an extremely effective and moody slice of psychological horror that reminded me of Prano Bailey-Bond's criminally overlooked Censor in all the right ways, with an excellent lead performance from Aisling Franciosi (who first came to my attention in Jennifer Kent's The Nightingale - a film so punishingly brutal I struggle to recommend it - and has been great in everything I've seen her in since) and beautiful handcrafted animation by Morgan.

On the more mixed side there was The First Omen, which was extremely strong for the first two thirds and then kind of disappointingly undermines itself in an obnoxiously inconclusive, unresolved climax, and In a Violent Nature, which was a solid experiment in "ambient horror" until it abandons its core narrative hook in its final act and resolves to piss away its last fifteen to twenty minutes on what at that point is basically a dull non sequitur. There was also Blink Twice, which was decent and at times very intriguing but would have been way more effective if it hadn't mitigated the core horror of its presence with its kind of flippant, uncommitted tonality. And then there's Alien: Romulus, which was a largely well-received and successful film that this diehard Alien fan pretty much hated. But it has been a generally good year, and we still have more to come!

I'll be interested to see how Terrifier 3 is, as someone who has mixed feelings about the series. All Hallow's Eve was a crude and ugly but undeniably creepy and effective effort from a fledgling director, Terrifier 1 was kind of just a dull and unpleasant ninety minutes where the extremely thin, progressively emptier narrative is just a vehicle for excessively gruesome violence (no judgement if that's your thing), and then Terrifier 2 came along and marked a pretty huge step up in the quality of the writing and characters. It has its faults - it's a bit too long and its gesturing towards a bigger mythology, while appreciated, is left irritatingly vague and dependent on a follow-up - but it's very solid stuff. It doesn't tone down the hideous violence of its predecessor but also finally gives us a reason to care about it and be affected by it beyond thinking "damn that's fucked up!" Basically having a Lauren LaVera to face off against Art the Clown makes a world of difference on a storytelling level. We'll see if part 3 continues this trend. I must admit, as someone who found the main kill of Terrifier 1 pretty gross, the fact people who made it through the first two movies are pearl-clutching over the suggestion that Art may kill Spoiler: a child in the opening of part 3 is really quite funny to me. Like why would you expect Leone to shy away from something distasteful at this point.

Most anticipated horror film of the year for me is still Nosferatu. I'm glad Eggers got to follow up The Witch with two great original projects before remaking a classic but his pedigree and long history of basically worshiping the original indicate that this long gestating project will be something special. I'm not a huge Bill Skarsgaard fan and Johnny Depp's nepo baby filling in for what was supposed to be one of my favorite working actors, Anya Taylor-Joy, is a crushing disappointment, but if Eggers thought they were up to the task, I have faith in him.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 09-22-2024 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I saw The Substance last night. It was a bit on the long side for what it was, but I definitely had fun with it. Demi Moore was totally fearless in it. It was also nice to see a film that was just unabashedly stylish and in your face. Zero fucks were given.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-23-2024 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I just caught Late Night With The Devil, yesterday. Damn, that was a very fun time.

I watched Longlegs again, and I liked it even more the second time around. Knowing what goes down, the stuff that is littered throughout the movie, that the characters say is all there, even if cryptic on the first viewing.

Spoiler: The one ambiguous part I found was the very end, when the gun runs out of bullets, and she hears Kobble in her head. It shows that her mother shooting the replica doll of hers, may not have fully been effective, and the daughter of her boss may not be safe with Harker. Kobble says how white her house was, and he obviously has a strong obsession with her. So it seems, maybe that he had a darker influence on her. Could be a stretch, but there is a lot in this movie that could not be as cut and paste, even if the mother spells it all out in the end.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Spoiler: The one ambiguous part I found was the very end, when the gun runs out of bullets, and she hears Kobble in her head. It shows that her mother shooting the replica doll of hers, may not have fully been effective, and the daughter of her boss may not be safe with Harker. Kobble says how white her house was, and he obviously has a strong obsession with her. So it seems, maybe that he had a darker influence on her. Could be a stretch, but there is a lot in this movie that could not be as cut and paste, even if the mother spells it all out in the end.
    Caught this a while back and they address this in the last question of this interview...

Spoiler: So they seem to have a pretty clear vision of what goes down. That said, I'm sure Perkins understands that ambiguity is a strength in horror. My take is it doesn't matter either way. Evil wins, evil doesn't win? What does it matter? It's a movie, that's just plot points and logistics. The film's thesis is kind of about secrets hidden within a family and all the layers that come with that. I had read Osgood Perkins wrote from his own experience with his parents. Once I read that the entire movie made more sense. I think it will hold up well over time. It's got thematic depth and is a fun watch. Nic Cage going full crazy was just a bonus, but there's a lot more there.

And speaking of Anthony Perkins, I watched Psycho 3 (which he directed and starred in) last month and it was also a very stylized and fun ride of a slasher film. It's kind of a hidden gem actually. It opens with a nun screaming "There is NO God!!!" I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Psycho 3 followed by Longlegs would actually be a great double feature come to think of it.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 09-23-2024 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Caught this a while back and they address this in the last question of this interview...

Spoiler: So they seem to have a pretty clear vision of what goes down. That said, I'm sure Perkins understands that ambiguity is a strength in horror. My take is it doesn't matter either way. Evil wins, evil doesn't win? What does it matter? It's a movie, that's just plot points and logistics. The film's thesis is kind of about secrets hidden within a family and all the layers that come with that. I had read Osgood Perkins wrote from his own experience with his parents. Once I read that the entire movie made more sense. I think it will hold up well over time. It's got thematic depth and is a fun watch. Nic Cage going full crazy was just a bonus, but there's a lot more there.

And speaking of Anthony Perkins, I watched Psycho 3 (which he directed and starred in) last month and it was also a very stylized and fun ride of a slasher film. It's kind of a hidden gem actually. It opens with a nun screaming "There is NO God!!!" I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Psycho 3 followed by Longlegs would actually be a great double feature come to think of it.
    Thanks for the clip! I guess I had a feeling that the vision was quite clear the way it had ended, but just that one moment where I was like... "Maybe this could be something" where that moment was placed at the very end. The way I look at it, with so many aspects that are unexplained in the film (And not all of them need to be), they would have to expect some sort of other interpretations from fans in specific moments.

I've only ever seen Psycho, and the remake. I totally forgot sequels existed lol.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Thanks for the clip! I guess I had a feeling that the vision was quite clear the way it had ended, but just that one moment where I was like... "Maybe this could be something" where that moment was placed at the very end. The way I look at it, with so many aspects that are unexplained in the film (And not all of them need to be), they would have to expect some sort of other interpretations from fans in specific moments.

I've only ever seen Psycho, and the remake. I totally forgot sequels existed lol.
    Spoiler: Oh for sure you can and should interpret the ending however you like. The first time I saw it I had that exact same question. Like, wait, did she save the kid or not? My point is just that, by then, there is really only a binary way the plot can further unfold. Either it worked or it didn't, but neither outcome is essential to the theme. And theme trumps plot I think.

As much as I love the movie, I also think that last scene/act is it's weakest part. I'm not exactly sure what it needed, perhaps one or two minutes more of scenes to really flesh out that family and have you rooting for them so the horror and tension are amplified. But that's just a nitpick. I've still only seen it once so I'm hoping it plays better on a second watch.

I had also avoided the Psycho sequels until recently, due entirely to a Longlegs podcast I listened to. I'd always heard that Psycho 2 was great but I had no idea Anthony Perkins was in every one of the sequels, and that he actually directed 3. As it turns out 3 ended up being the best of the bunch. 2 did some really stupid unforgivable shit in it's last act, but 3 was a lean cheesy 80s slasher with a satirical bend and a nice visual style. I probably wouldn't recommend any of them to typical film fans but if someone likes campy 80s slashers, they're actually toward the top. There are so many Nightmare on Elm or Friday movies that are worse.

They also are very much not in the same league as Psycho, but what is?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Oh for sure you can and should interpret the ending however you like. The first time I saw it I had that exact same question. Like, wait, did she save the kid or not? My point is just that, by then, there is really only a binary way the plot can further unfold. Either it worked or it didn't, but neither outcome is essential to the theme. And theme trumps plot I think.

As much as I love the movie, I also think that last scene/act is it's weakest part. I'm not exactly sure what it needed, perhaps one or two minutes more of scenes to really flesh out that family and have you rooting for them so the horror and tension are amplified. But that's just a nitpick. I've still only seen it once so I'm hoping it plays better on a second watch.

I had also avoided the Psycho sequels until recently, due entirely to a Longlegs podcast I listened to. I'd always heard that Psycho 2 was great but I had no idea Anthony Perkins was in every one of the sequels, and that he actually directed 3. As it turns out 3 ended up being the best of the bunch. 2 did some really stupid unforgivable shit in it's last act, but 3 was a lean cheesy 80s slasher with a satirical bend and a nice visual style. I probably wouldn't recommend any of them to typical film fans but if someone likes campy 80s slashers, they're actually toward the top. There are so many Nightmare on Elm or Friday movies that are worse.

They also are very much not in the same league as Psycho, but what is?
    Spoiler: Yep, pretty much agreed with what you said. The only problem would be the end for me as well. I happen to not enjoy when all the context of what is happening is poured out in the last ten minutes, instead of being fleshed out a bit more. It sort of insults the audience a tad as if no one has any idea what is going on, which seems to be most watchers problem with the movie. I happened to enjoy the cryptic stuff, but I can see why many would have a problem with that. I thought it could have been a tad longer in runtime, because the end does feel a bit rushed with everything else that was slowly playing out in the first half of the movie. The detective work aspect of it I really enjoyed, but it goes by so quickly.

I do love campy shit, so I will definitely check the sequels out now. I'm making a big list of horror, and supernatural movies to watch each night in October that I've never seen! I just watched Prince of Darkness, and what a really fun time that movie was.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    I just watched Prince of Darkness, and what a really fun time that movie was.[/SPOILER]
    What!? I love Prince of Darkness! It's probably the most underrated John Carpenter film. It's all over the place but in an awesome way. First it starts with like 15 minutes of nothing but opening credits and a classic Carpenter synth score. Then it gets all philosophical. Then it turns into a zombie flick and for some reason Alice Cooper is lurking outside of this church. But then it turns into some kind of religious horror before morphing into some kind of Lovecraftian nightmare. And then it just ends in bleakness like all of the best Carpenter movies do. Not to mention that cast was very fun and made that movie better than it had any right to be.

I too have a long list of films to watch. I never seem to reach the end. I think I whittled it down to 20 or so a few months back but now it's back above 30.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Another thumbs up for The Substance, what a thrill ride.

Spoiler: Showgirl meets The Thing meets meets Elephant Man with touches of Picture of Dorian Gray, The Shining and Requiem For A Dream

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

I wanted to join to this "Longlegs"/"Psycho" discussion:

Spoiler: I saw the explanation the director gave about "evil winning"; it does make sense and it doesn't necessarily need to lead into Lee "repeating" Longlegs crimes,

but the director is also ambiguous he has never explained what happened to "Miss Ruby" and the fact that the story might easily end up there or lead into a sequel, to me both are equally valid...

I think like many directors he isn't "shutting the doors", but knows that he told the story he wanted.

I liked the movie more on my second watch, but i hope there isn't a sequel (but will watch if the director things there might be something left to tell...)

Also: Did anyone notice that in the credits for the movie they list Rryla McIntosh as the "Adult Ruby Carter"?

Am i missing something?

As for Psycho:

The sequels are very underrated, i think part 2 it's the best from the series, i really like Part 3 (despite its a ripoff of many slasher movies form the time and it clearly lacks of a good story like the original and the sequel...).

Part IV is the "worst one" but i still like it, fills the gaps on many things about Norman's past and it closes the story in a good way, sadly this one suffered a lot because of the reduced budget.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-26-2024 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I wanted to joint to this "Longlegs"/"Psycho" discussion:

Spoiler: I saw the explanation the director gave about "evil winning"; it does make sense and it doesn't necessarily need to lead into Lee "repeating" Longlegs crimes,

but the director is also ambiguous he has never explained what happened to "Miss Ruby" and the fact that the story might easily end up there or lead into a sequel, to me both are equally valid...

I think like many directors he isn't "shutting the doors", but knows that he told the story he wanted.

I liked the movie more on my second watch, but i hope there isn't a sequel (but will watch if the director things there might be something left to tell...)

Also: Did anyone notice that in the credits for the movie they list Rryla McIntosh as the "Adult Ruby Carter"?

Am i missing something?

As for Psycho:

The sequels are very underrated, i think part 2 it's the best from the series, i really like Part 3 (despite its a ripoff of many slasher movies form the time and it clearly lacks of a good story like the original and the sequel...).

Part IV is the "worst one" but i still like it, fills the gaps on many things about Norman's past and it closes the story in a good way, sadly this one suffered a lot because of the reduced budget.
    Spoiler: Yes, I agree that the film itself is left open and ambiguous in that way. My point is only that, for this particular story, it doesn't really matter all that much for the themes being addressed. IE, a mother hides an evil secret and does evil things in service of hopefully sparing her daughter, daughter finds out all this horrible shit and has to make an impossible decision, give in to evil or attempt to save a child by killing the very same mother that hid the secret to save her in the first place. Yeah, there's a lot of layers there and to me, the story was complete when that bullet went through her head. That said, I agree with you 100% that it is open enough to leave room for more, but then that would need to be another story entirely. And we all know how horror sequels usually turn out.

I wasn't trying to imply there's only one interpretation, but @Self.Destructive.Pattern had just asked a valid question that I happened to remember hearing the director answer and sometimes that sort of thing can be informative. Some directors will tell you exactly what it means to them and others, like David Lynch, will never tell you anything. Hell, there's a video out there where Kubrick straight up tells you what 2001 means from his P.O.V. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it invalidates someone else's view that had never heard that interview. The only thing set in stone is the film itself, the rest is for the audience to decide I think.

As per the Psychos, I'm inclined to slightly disagree. I really enjoyed part 2 but it lost all the good will it built with that completely nonsensical end plot. It felt very unintentionally silly in a way that undermined the whole film. Part 3 on the other hand was given that mess as a jumping off point and just said, yeah to hell with it we're going balls out slasher flick. I would agree the story, with the exception of maybe the nun character, is pretty thin but that's par for most slashers. I'd even say it was more of a satire of slashers than a ripoff due to the way it really leaned into the camp. It maybe not all that good of a pure horror film, but as a dark comedy it's enjoyable enough. But I'm splitting hairs here.

Agreed on Part 4. Not great but for a made for premium TV movie it was much better than it had any right to be. I really enjoyed the back story and Olivia Hussey of Black Christmas fame playing Norman's mother. The radio show plot device, however, went absolutely nowhere.

Overall, as long as I separate parts 2,3,&4 from the original classic and view them as another 80s slasher franchise, I can have fun with all of them.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Another thumbs up for The Substance, what a thrill ride.

Spoiler: Showgirl meets The Thing meets meets Elephant Man with touches of Picture of Dorian Gray, The Shining and Requiem For A Dream
    So, this movie was made specifically for me, is what you're saying? I was already sold on this thing but seeing all the wide array of people from different walks of film fandom sing it's praises has me thinking it might be my most anticipated watch of the year.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Spoiler: Requiem For A Dream
    Spoiler: Ha! I literally yelled out "The fuck is this? Requiem For A Dream?" when Sue kept pulling the fluid out of Elisabeth and the wound was getting really nasty. Looks like Jared Leto got off easy.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    What!? I love Prince of Darkness! It's probably the most underrated John Carpenter film. It's all over the place but in an awesome way. First it starts with like 15 minutes of nothing but opening credits and a classic Carpenter synth score. Then it gets all philosophical. Then it turns into a zombie flick and for some reason Alice Cooper is lurking outside of this church. But then it turns into some kind of religious horror before morphing into some kind of Lovecraftian nightmare. And then it just ends in bleakness like all of the best Carpenter movies do. Not to mention that cast was very fun and made that movie better than it had any right to be.

I too have a long list of films to watch. I never seem to reach the end. I think I whittled it down to 20 or so a few months back but now it's back above 30.
    The cast is what I really enjoyed the most about it. But you're right about it having so many different layers to it. There is also a lot of comedy in it as well, that I really appreciated, and actually added to the horror elements. Like when Walter is trapped in the storage closet, and he is seeing Kelly I believe? Slowly turn into what she ultimately becomes at the very end of the film. Plus, Donald Pleasance! I have it on my list of movies to watch in October. Definitely needs a second viewing.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I really dig Prince Of Darkness, although I think it could have been better had Carpenter jettisoned some of the comic relief stuff. There's some really creepy stuff in it though, and it features one of his best scores too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Chucky show has been cancelled.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Just caught Evil Dead Rise tonight. What a bloody, good time. Cannot believe the budget for this was only around 16M!

Cast was great. Alyssa Sutherland was perfect, and just enough to keep you engaged, wondering who, and when other characters will start to turn, and how they will act when possessed. Pretty much had a smile on my face, the entire time.

I LOVE that they used as little CGI effects as possible. Reading how the actors have to really put time into unnatural movements, twitching, to get that true Deadite effect, really makes you appreciate it more. Of course, stop-motion is used to help with these movements, but damn... It is done so well. Stunt doubles were used for scenes like in the bathroom, that replaced post-production digital effects.

And the blood... Nothing like a cooked up recipe of fake blood, instead of CGI blood. $231,795 for the blood they used in the film, and needed an industrial kitchen to help make it.

My question to another certain franchise... cough, cough... RESIDENT EVIL. Why the hell can they not make something to this effect, as far as quality, gore, and practical effects? Just one good RE movie... Please?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I really dig Prince Of Darkness, although I think it could have been better had Carpenter jettisoned some of the comic relief stuff. There's some really creepy stuff in it though, and it features one of his best scores too.
    the dream sequence scenes have never left my head since I first watched the movie as a kid 30 years ago.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Last edited by allegate; 09-30-2024 at 12:48 PM.