Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77
Results 2,281 to 2,287 of 2287

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The Spooky season is upon us!!

I caught I Saw The TV Glow a couple weeks ago and I thought it was fantastic. A deeply human film. And, without spoilers, that scene toward the end that took place in an arcade was soul crushing. Been thinking about it ever since. Yet to see Cuckoo but it looks interesting.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this completely. Longlegs was great. It very carefully walks a tightrope between black comedy and genuine horror which is not an easy thing to do. If it has any faults I'd say they come in the final sequence but even so, the last scene just before before the credits roll was chef's kiss. Caught an interview Osgood Perkins did and it was worth the listen. He's direct and honest in a way most directors aren't. And I mean, the trick he lifted from Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, of all films, paid off very well I think.

For me, it fell just shy of The Blackcoat's Daughter for his best film, although it is undeniably more fun. But the Blackcoat's Daughter was just a much more lean and pure horror film, very much in the same league as The VVitch and Hereditary and, like those 2 movies, was made before the A24 trend caught fire in horror, so he was ahead of the game I think.

Oh, speaking of Blackcoat's, Kiernan Skipka's small cameo like role in Longlegs was brilliant and she completely stole that scene.
    Agreed! I always learn about new stuff I never knew about from you, hahaa. I think I remember you bringing up Blackcoat awhile back, I have to get on that!

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just watched Longlegs, and man... What a ride. BRAVO to Nicolas Cage for playing one of the creepiest, twisted antagonists I have ever seen on screen. He brings so much dedication to the role, you would think Longlegs was a real person. There is of course a scene where you get vintage, over-the-top Cage, but it fits with the character so well, you cannot help but just appreciate it.

The film is incredibly well thought out, tightly directed, with a lot of little things that you will pass up if your eyes aren't peeled. There is one particular piece of camera work I don't think I've ever seen in a horror film, towards the end, and there are a few things that aren't 100% explained, but I don't feel they need to be.

Maika Monroe is also another that really dives into her role. She is offbeat, doesn't say much, and adds to the allure, and dread the movie carries. She comes off just as mysterious to the audience, as she does to the characters that are around her. All the acting is so solid here, you really get pulled in, especially wearing headphones.

All in all, the movie really starts off strong, and then goes off the rails midway, to the end, once you start to learn more about Longlegs, which is also not fully explained, and doesn't need to be. It adds to the legacy of the character that the less you know, the better in this case. The movie knows exactly what it wants to be, and what it is trying to showcase to the audience.

I can understand why some may not get too invested into the movie, but it's rare that you get original stuff like this. You really need to leave your expectations at the door.
    I watched it yesterday, i liked it.

Reminded me to many "crime-thrillers" like "Silence of the Lambs", "Zodiac" even "Exorcist 3", that was a good thing.
    The direction, photography and sound design are awesome, but the story is not great and i didn't like the way they tried to explain everything at the end, but it's worth a watch specially for Nicholas Cage's role.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Reminded me to many "crime-thrillers" like "Silence of the Lambs", "Zodiac" even "Exorcist 3", that was a good thing.
    That's exactly why I wasn't crazy about it. I kept thinking I could be watching those films instead. Nic Cage was definitely the best thing about the film, but he's done so many gonzo performances over the years that it didn't bowl me over like it did a lot of people. Also, it was tonally at odds with the rest of the film. I'm sure that was the point, but I felt like it clashed in a way that didn't quite work.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's exactly why I wasn't crazy about it. I kept thinking I could be watching those films instead. Nic Cage was definitely the best thing about the film, but he's done so many gonzo performances over the years that it didn't bowl me over like it did a lot of people. Also, it was tonally at odds with the rest of the film. I'm sure that was the point, but I felt like it clashed in a way that didn't quite work.
    Yea, I can see that for sure. If the tone was off, I would say the scene with him in the car would be the one I'd choose. I thought the rest aligned with his character, from the small context you get about him.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Been reading about The Dark And The Wicked from 2020. Apparently there are some pretty intense moments? Worth a watch?

edit: didn’t like it.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-12-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Checked out In A Violent Nature last night since it's now on Shudder. Probably a bit overhyped, but I liked what it set out to do in terms of subverting certain expectations. Kind of felt like a slasher tone poem at times. There were some bits that had me howling with laughter, and a couple of the kills definitely made me cringe a bit.