Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
Anybody interested in this Omen prequel?
In general, I'm always pretty skeptical of any remake, sequel, prequel, reboot, requel, etc. Especially ones that involve riding the coattails of a great 70s horror film (see the latest Exorcist).

But even I have to admit the trailer for this looks pretty decent. Doesn't mean the movie will be, but so far so good. It probably helps that I never really loved The Omen all that much. It always seemed a lesser film than things like Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Shining from that era of horror. I respect it for what it is, but creepy children in horror is a weird genre that does nothing for me and so the fact this story is going to focus on something other than a creepy kid might be good for it.

I should add though, that my bar for religious horror is pretty high this year, as I just saw Immaculate last weekend and it's going to be hard to top that I think. The film did not hold back any punches and was smartly written with a very clear point, a point it conveys without being too heavy handed and leaves the viewer with plenty of room for contemplation. Leaving the theatre I may have said it was a bit too lean, which would be a rare criticism from me because I love lean, concise films. After thinking about it for a week, I think it's efficiency will work in the long run and it's themes and messages will still be interesting many years from now.