Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27

Thread: The Criterion Collection

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Amazing, one of my top ten for sure. I showed the film to my wife and son and at the end they were both like, "is that it?" which...yeah?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    No Country is exciting but 8 1/2 is possibly my favorite movie of all time

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I showed the film to my wife and son and at the end they were both like, "is that it?" which...yeah?
    To be fair, that's kind of the intended feeling at the end of a first watch. In so many ways the movie refuses to give you what you want from it, all of which is completely in support of the thematic conversation the story is trying to have with its audience.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Amazing, one of my top ten for sure. I showed the film to my wife and son and at the end they were both like, "is that it?" which...yeah?
    That was my first reaction to it, but having watched it several times since then, I've come to realize how chilling of an ending it is. It's about futility and how death comes for us all in the end. At the end of the day, you can wonder why people are the way that they are, and what motivates them to do terrible things, but it doesn't really matter, because eventually those people will die, and so will you. Tommy Lee Jones' character spends the whole film having his view of the world slowly brought down, and once he's retired and doesn't have to chase after psychopaths anymore, he's not really left with anything else. All he can do is bide his time and wait for death. It's not a neat and tidy ending, but it makes a lot of sense considering the rest of the film. I think some people expected a much more "Hollywood" ending with a big chase and all that, but that's not the type of film that the Coens made.

Anyway, I'm excited for the new 4K release. I watched the old Blu-ray when Cormac McCarthy passed away last year, and while it didn't look terrible, it definitely showed its age. Can't wait for Criterion to upgrade Inside Llewyn Davis as well, as that's my favorite film of theirs.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Fuck me that new 4K transfer is going to be so fucking beautiful.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Wow pumped for this. Just need "There Will Be Blood" next.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yall remember that fall in 2007 when No Country and TWBB came out like within like a couple of weeks of each other? That was fucking WILD. I still have never seen a better double feature in theaters, to this day.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Yall remember that fall in 2007 when No Country and TWBB came out like within like a couple of weeks of each other? That was fucking WILD. I still have never seen a better double feature in theaters, to this day.
    They also were shooting near each other at the same time. Smoke from There Will Be Blood actually interrupted shooting for No Country a couple times.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The real question is, which one gave you more existential dread?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The real question is, which one gave you more existential dread?
    There Will Be Blood for sure, man. It's still my favorite movie of all time.