Thread: The Criterion Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's been way too long and the paradigm has shifted so far from physical ownership, too. I'll be cautious with my picks from this line, but at this point we are only probably another 5 years off from a new format (unless it's already happened which wouldn't be so surprising to me)

I'm hoping for a healthy Kurosawa collection and some 8 1/2

Mulholland drive is a good spot to start, for sure

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Yeah, it's been way too long and the paradigm has shifted so far from physical ownership, too. I'll be cautious with my picks from this line, but at this point we are only probably another 5 years off from a new format (unless it's already happened which wouldn't be so surprising to me)

I'm hoping for a healthy Kurosawa collection and some 8 1/2

Mulholland drive is a good spot to start, for sure
    I heard that when it comes to older movies on film, depending what size film it was shot on, 8K will be the highest quality it can go up to. There's only so much information/pixels on film, depending if it's 16mm or 35mm or 70mm. 8K is where it will max out for most older movies on film. 70mm may be able to go higher to like 10K due to having more information/pixels. 35mm can render around 20 million organic pixels, which is just over 8K. Once we go beyond that, we would need to get into digital post processing to fill in the gaps.

Of course, movies filmed digitally will be able to go above that. But at the same time, you also gotta think about special effects and the quality they're rendered at as well. Most times, special effects are rendered at a lower resolution. They're may be a film shot on 70mm, but it's special effects was only rendered at 2K. Lots of variables.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.