Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    So i'm a little unnerved by where this is all heading.
    A fucking CURFEW? National guard troops?
    I think this is a dangerous step down the road to martial law.
    And here's what i think is gonna happen tonight. People will NOT obey the curfew. They will be arrested en masse and taken somewhere other than jail like what happened during the 2004 RNC. Do you guys remember that shit? They just swept up whole blocks of protesters.

"People were required to show identification cards or face arrest; the arrested people were not immediately informed of charges against them.
    The facility was the then-recently closed Hudson Pier Depot at Pier 57 on the Hudson River, a three-story, block-long pier that has been converted into a temporary prison, though unfit for detention of prisoners. Arrested protesters have complained about extremely poor conditions describing it as overcrowded, dirty, and contaminated with oil and asbestos. People reported having suffered from smell, bad ventilation, and even chemical burns and rashes."

The RNC thing was pretty much swept under the rug. Tonight will be different because the whole world is already watching. What happens will be pivotal.

Doesn't a curfew violate the 1st and 14th amendments? They imposed one in Ferguson for a few days, right? And they used military style armored vehicles and national guard troops to impose it.

But i don't see what is happening in baltimore as an isolated event. I think every incident has heated things up and it's reaching a boiling point at a NATIONAL level. Therefore, i feel that people will be that much more defiant.

I don't know where this is headed, but i don't think it's gonna be anywhere good. I understand the need to stop violence and looting but i'm terrified of the curfew and militarized police.

Like the man said, "he who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserves neither and is a tool." He said something along those lines. It was Jefferson or Paine or Jesus, someone like that.

These are just my thoughts. I don't have a CLUE what the right answer is.
    ETS is the most intelligent and opinionated group of people with whom i have ever interacted...what do you guys think?

(i refused to end the sentence with a preposition and then abused the ellipses JUST for you @allegro)

EDIT: Oh yeah. I also keep thinking about this Watch the Throne video whenever i see the news lately.
    Whoever came up with the concept for this video...did they, like, feel it coming? It's eerily accurate.

i'm gonna go listen to baltimore on radioreference.com
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-28-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So i'm a little unnerved by where this is all heading.
    A fucking CURFEW? National guard troops?
    I think this is a dangerous step down the road to martial law.
    Chill, Alex Jones. Same thing happened in '92 during the LA Riots - curfew was set and national guard troops were called in. It's standard protocol. "Martial law" has deposed "FEMA camps" as most popular alarmist phrase.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Chill, Alex Jones. Same thing happened in '92 during the LA Riots - curfew was set and national guard troops were called in. It's standard protocol.
    Yeah, same thing when I was a kid during the Detroit riots in '67. My mom broke curfew to go out to the store at night and it freaked us out. "Ahhhhh mom's gonna DIIIIIIIIIIE." TANKS were rolling down the streets.

See also Watts '65
    Last edited by allegro; 04-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Chill, Alex Jones. Same thing happened in '92 during the LA Riots - curfew was set and national guard troops were called in. It's standard protocol. "Martial law" has deposed "FEMA camps" as most popular alarmist phrase.
    but there is a difference.
    The LA 92 was an isolated incident.
    But now, we've had riots after the mike brown case, eric garner, walter scott, and now this. And it seems like it's getting worse every time. And the riots, in my opinion, were not CAUSED by the cases in point. I think that they are the result of tension that has been building for a long, long time, and people have finally fucking had it.

I don't think it's going to stop, and i am concerned for the future.

edit: @DigitalChaos , you are right about the katrina thing.
    i remember people being shot on sight for entering pharmacies, and some of them were trying to get diapers and such.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    but there is a difference.
    The LA 92 was an isolated incident.
    But now, we've had riots after the mike brown case, eric garner, walter scott, and now this. And it seems like it's getting worse every time. And the riots, in my opinion, were not CAUSED by the cases in point. I think that they are the result of tension that has been building for a long, long time, and people have finally fucking had it.
    I don't think it's going to stop, and i am concerned for the future.
    These type of riots are just a repeat of the same type of riots we've had in the past because the underlying cause never changed. Police harassment and brutality against blacks sparked the '65 Watts Riot and the '67 Detroit Riot, or riots when MLK was killed, and then the Rodney King Riot in '92, but of course overall racism and ghettoization etc. was also a big part, and these riots seem to happen in cycles, things simmer down for a while but the underlying problem never goes away and nothing changes, at all. And people were concerned about the future, then, too. And 25 years from now, this same thing will happen and you will say, "but this same thing happened in '15" and they will say "but this is different" but it won't be.

Rodney King only appeared to be an "isolated incident" TO YOU, but to a shitload of black Los Angelenos it was Business As Usual and that's why there was a riot. And it just happened to be filmed by somebody, way before the days of cell phone cameras and shit.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-29-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    These type of riots are just a repeat of the same type of riots we've had in the past because the underlying cause never changed. Police harassment and brutality against blacks sparked the '65 Watts Riot and the '67 Detroit Riot, or riots when MLK was killed, and then the Rodney King Riot in '92, but of course overall racism and ghettoization etc. was also a big part, and these riots seem to happen in cycles, things simmer down for a while but the underlying problem never goes away and nothing changes, at all. And people were concerned about the future, then, too. And 25 years from now, this same thing will happen and you will say, "but this same thing happened in '15" and they will say "but this is different" but it won't be.

Rodney King only appeared to be an "isolated incident" TO YOU, but to a shitload of black Los Angelenos it was Business As Usual and that's why there was a riot. And it just happened to be filmed by somebody, way before the days of cell phone cameras and shit.
    ahhhh. interesting. i most definitely see what you mean.

and that article is a trip, @orestes

the underlying causes from the 1967 study. and they haven't changed.

First Level of Intensity
    1. Police practices
    2. Unemployment and underemployment
    3. Inadequate housing
    Second Level of Intensity
    4. Inadequate education
    5. Poor recreation facilities and programs
    6. Ineffectiveness of the political structure and grievance mechanisms.
    Third Level of Intensity
    7. Disrespectful white attitudes
    8. Discriminatory administration of justice
    9. Inadequacy of federal programs
    10. Inadequacy of municipal services
    11. Discriminatory consumer and credit practices
    12. Inadequate welfare programs

Last edited by elevenism; 04-29-2015 at 01:04 PM.