Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Finally saw it...pretty much everything has been said already in this thread. I think it was good, with some of the flaws present in the other Dark Kinght films. It's a weird combination of many things happening very quickly, a furiously paced editing, yet the film is a slow-burner overall. Can't explain it more clearly. I enjoyed it truly, as I have the other Dark Knight films, but I also find them difficult films to return to. I mean, I'm not sure I've seen the previous film for a second time, even if Ledger's Joker is kickass. As is Bane by the way, that was quite a memorable villain, well done Tom Hardy! And all the rest really, Hathaway, JGL, great new characters!

So, on to nit-picking: At first I was one of those that thought Bruce did die, yet then the thing with the bat signal was pointed out so I guess he must be alive (though I would prefer if he had been killed off, I feel like they copped out in the final minute). However, in that case, isn't it a bit careless on his part, the way he casually shows his face in public? I mean, he is (was) a famous billionaire that died recently. His face has been in Gotham's media and it's fair to assume in international media as well. Won't someone recognise him eventually? This did not diminish my enjoyment of the film, but I find it curious.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    However, in that case, isn't it a bit careless on his part, the way he casually shows his face in public? I mean, he is (was) a famous billionaire that died recently. His face has been in Gotham's media and it's fair to assume in international media as well. Won't someone recognise him eventually? This did not diminish my enjoyment of the film, but I find it curious.
    when alfred spots him, they are in a foreign country, not gotham.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Yeah but he was one of the richest people in the world, had recently lost his fortune and just "died". Pretty sure his face would've been plastered all over global media for a while after all this shit. It doesn't really bother me, I absolutely love the way they ended this movie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Yes I know, that's why the full sentence goes "His face has been in Gotham's media and it's fair to assume in international media as well". I'm just saying that he's not your average Joe to simply get lost in the crowd without some form of disguise. It's plausible that he could remain undetected, or even that someone that did recognise him would shrug it off, but even so, it strikes me as very lax behaviour.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "you're the prince of Gotham. You'd have to go a thousand miles to find someone who doesn't know your name" or something along those lines

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just got out of another viewing of DKR, which makes it an absurd amount of times I've seen this movie. Some random thoughts and opinions:

*I never got that Blake's line about 'giant alligators' was a nod to 'Killer Croc'. Well done, Nolan.
    *I will never, ever get tired of seeing Anne Hathaway in the catsuit and or bent over the Bat Bike. Hotttttt damn.
    *I never noticed, until this viewing, that Bane sheds a few tears when Talia is in the middle of her long speech.
    *I really love the soundtrack. I'm a Hans Zimmer fan, so I could be biased, but it really adds to the feel of the movie..for me.
    *I absolutely LOVE the first scenes with Batman in them in this film. The scene where he's being chased by 234340 police cars is gorgeous..loved the camera work there. The music during this scene kicks ass as well.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I was finally able to watch this film since it was only released in China last week. Cat Woman was a big highlight for me. She was just dark enough while also contributing most of the much-needed comic relief. Bane was a formidable and scary opponent. Batman totally overestimated his own abilities and Bane destroyed him. He was basically locked in a room with a monster whose own army was terrified of. The backbreaking shot could have been filmed in a way more brutal fashion. After the backbreaker, the movie, to me, fell apart. I didn't like how Bane was not the mastermind. He acts like a brutal, cold-blooded mastermind throughout the film and then ends up looking like a puppy dog with a heart. Blake was well-acted...

So I've been wondering why Batman had not trained in 8 years. The only answer I've come up with so far is that he was too heart-broken over the loss of his love. The other idea that he hasn't trained because Batman is no longer needed doesn't make sense. Things could easily go to hell at any moment. He would have been thinking that.

And the whole thing about Batman being simply a symbol that anyone can become is bullshit. I hate that story point. Batman is Batman. Nobody else can be Batman. My other gripe is with the stupid speech sequence with Bane in front of the prison before all the inmates are freed. Lame.

Anyways, the film was a bit sloppy and the weakest one in the trilogy. I now rank Batman Begins as the best of them because it's the tightest. Somewhere during the progression of this trilogy the focus on Batman was lost. When I watch Batman I want to see plenty of Batman's mind and character. I want to know what he's thinking and how he's handling everything that is unfolding.

The Bane themes kick ass,but I noticed that some of the soundtrack sounds like leftovers from Inception.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 09-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Rumor going around that the Blu-ray may include the director's cut, incorporating a few scenes including Bane's origin scene.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I'm particularly hopeful that THIS scene will be included:

I definitely approve of the direction the story seems to be taking there.

;)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm sure everyone has heard by now, but there's no director's cut, we've already seen it. Blu Ray confirmed for a December 3rd NA release.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yes.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Meh, looks bland. This trilogy deserves a better class of box sets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dig it but aside from owning Batman Begins (on DVD though) and The Dark knight, I already own The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm hoping I can just purchase the trilogy bluray box set alone. Though why does Batman Begins have only one disc? Also, I would hope (but certainly doubt) The Dark Knight bluray could offer ANY decent special features. Still bummed about that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ahh, do I get the trilogy or just the broken mask version that was announced as well? Already have the first two on Blu Ray. Fuck it, I'll get 'em both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Broken mask version? That sounds intriguing...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I see what you did there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Let's not blow things out of proportion

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I saw it coming: the "ultimate-special-definitive-collector's-limited-numbered-deluxe edition", now christmas is going to get expensive!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploding Plastic View Post
    Picture of it is here.

It's cool and all, but I'm past the point of needing special editions of stuff. This would just be another thing that doesn't fit correctly on a shelf lol. It's still pretty cool though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Like those (not even special edition) Simpsons season box-sets shaped like the characters' heads. Fuck that noise.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Exactly. Just give me the media. Though Batman is one of the few things I'd even consider in terms of getting a special edition of anything, I'm more concerned with just watching whatever I bought. Those Simpsons sets were a pain in the ass, though it was the time of special editions when I was running a music store here, and people ate it up. Now, not so much...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploding Plastic View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Looks really cool, but echoing october's earlier sentiment, I don't need another something that won't fit correctly on a shelf. My bowling ball shaped copy of The Big Lebowski is already a big enough pain in the ass

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I gotta say - the lack of commentary on the Blu-ray isn't surprising, but it's still a bit disappointing. What I'm really bothered by is the total lack of deleted scenes. I thought Rises' final cut & pacing was pretty much perfect for a movie with that much story to be told and wrapped up, so I was never expecting an Extended or Director's Cut. That said, aren't we at least a little bit entitled to those cut scenes of Bane in the League of Shadows with an early version of his mask?

I'm sure there's a chance we'll see glimpses of that stuff on the other Special Features, but that seems like a glaring omission since it was revealed it existed. If we're lucky, I guess it'll turn up on its own.

Blah blah blah I'm still really excited to own this movie. It still kind of blows my mind that it exceeded my high expectations.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I would not be surprised if Nolan has given up on commentaries like some directors have, like Paul Thomas Anderson.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    .That said, aren't we at least a little bit entitled to those cut scenes of Bane in the League of Shadows with an early version of his mask?
    Did you really write this while being serious?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    ugh, too many versions, ill be hitting target and best buy. I still dont know about the trilogy box set seeing as I dont know what it comes with bonus feature wise( if its the same shit on the single disks, then forget it.)

I was hoping they treated the box set with way more attention, I mean it is the best trilogy since the original Star Wars in my opinion. Maybe a bad ass edition will come down the line like Begins did when TDK came out.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Im more than positive that the trilogy will get the double if not triple dip treatment