Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: NIN on Apple Music

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    I technically meant last hearing from NIN in relation to a full album. Of course I was looking at the period of albums from With Teeth to Year Zero to The Slip to Ghosts. All those albums were delivered in no more than 1- 2 years from each other.
    With Teeth: took at least 3 years to write (possibly more, but that's how long we were aware of it)
    Year Zero: took 3 years to write, as it was written during tours and used ideas he'd had during WT
    Ghosts: the entire concept was to write as much music within their set time frame. More Ghosts would logically follow suit in that fashion - but Ghosts and the TRAR scores are LITERALLY the same team, so if you want more Ghosts, go back to the three scores (and maybe try Atticus solo too)
    The Slip: again, the concept was to do it quickly (and totally recycle old tracks, like Letting You and Demon Seed)

The Slip and Ghosts are anomalies in the NIN catalogue, look at his entire work history, not just 4 out of 9 releases.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    (and totally recycle old tracks, like Letting You and Demon Seed)
    What do you mean?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    What do you mean?
    Demon Seed formed out of Ghosts 38, and Letting You might have evolved from Year Zero.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    What do you mean?
    Letting You is a year zero leftover - if the theme didn't imply it enough, the art for it is the AIR flag. And Demon Seed is an interpolation of the music used in 38 Ghosts, basically making 38G a demo of Demon Seed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Letting You is a year zero leftover - if the theme didn't imply it enough, the art for it is the AIR flag. And Demon Seed is an interpolation of the music used in 38 Ghosts, basically making 38G a demo of Demon Seed
    So how do you know there aren't a ton of leftovers from Hesitation Marks that Trent may use on a new album? He even refers to possibly using a demo track for a future album in that solo interview thing he did for HM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So how do you know there aren't a ton of leftovers from Hesitation Marks that Trent may use on the new album? He even refers to possibly using a demo track for a future album in that solo interview thing he did for HM.
    Well, we've already heard three demos from HM, so if he has more then that man made the album WAY too short.

And Trent's albums tend to have a theme, he does almost only concept albums, so to use HM leftovers would break that unless it was The Slip mk2. Also, I though you were sick of hearing the demos and wanted to hear new NIN?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, we've already heard three demos from HM, so if he has more then that man made the album WAY too short.

And Trent's albums tend to have a theme, he does almost only concept albums, so to use HM leftovers would break that unless it was The Slip mk2. Also, I though you were sick of hearing the demos and wanted to hear new NIN?
    Well, he wouldn't just slap a demo onto a new album. He'd rework it and modify it to fit into the context of a new album. So that would technically make it new NIN.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well, he wouldn't just slap a demo onto a new album. He'd rework it and modify it to fit into the context of a new album. So that would technically make it new NIN.
    So ... you'd rather recycled old tracks than brand new score ones?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    But, like, it would be different, man! It would be a NINE INCH NAILS album, not a TRENT REZNOR album! Totally different things, man!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So ... you'd rather recycled old tracks than brand new score ones?
    He just released a score demo track. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    But, like, it would be different, man! It would be a NINE INCH NAILS album, not a TRENT REZNOR album! Totally different things, man!
    It is totally different things. NIN has lyrics and is saying something. The scores are for movies with no lyrics.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It is totally different things. NIN has lyrics and is saying something. The scores are for movies with no lyrics.
    There are two NIN albums without any instrumentals and one without any vocals. NIN sometimes has lyrics, sometimes doesn't.

Incidentally, does that mean you'd be annoyed with a new Ghosts installation?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There are two NIN albums without any instrumentals and one without any vocals. NIN sometimes has lyrics, sometimes doesn't.

Incidentally, does that mean you'd be annoyed with a new Ghosts installation?
    Scores and instrumentals are different things. I'd prefer something with lyrics over another Ghosts. I enjoy Trent's vocals.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Scores and instrumentals are different things.
    The only difference is that one is working in service to a film and the other isn't.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Scores and instrumentals are different things.
    You sure? Cause, Ghosts is a "soundtrack to daydreams" (that's the official album subtitle).

And NIN has 71 instrumentals, not counting Quake. Trent's vocals are great but they are only a part of NIN.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Demon Seed formed out of Ghosts 38, and Letting You might have evolved from Year Zero.
    Oh, right. Duh. "Demon Seed" I already knew was a "Ghosts" demo, but I didn't think about "Letting You."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You sure? Cause, Ghosts is a "soundtrack to daydreams" (that's the official album subtitle).

And NIN has 71 instrumentals, not counting Quake. Trent's vocals are great but they are only a part of NIN.
    Exactly. Which is why my name is Nine Inch Nerd. NOT Trent Reznor Nerd. ; )

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what you're saying. You mean you agree that NIN is more than just Trent?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    "Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor"
    -Pretty Hate Machine Album Credits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Witte izzat you?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what you're saying. You mean you agree that NIN is more than just Trent?
    I'm saying Trent Reznor scores films. NIN scores my life. Get it?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm saying Trent Reznor scores films. NIN scores my life. Get it?
    Well, Trent Reznor solo has never scored a film. But ... you're saying you like Trent's work only under the label NIN?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, Trent Reznor solo has never scored a film. But ... you're saying you like Trent's work only under the label NIN?
    I like both, but I prefer NIN because I need the vocals and the driving (sometimes pop/hip-hop) beat and tortured guitars to help pump me up before my daily jazzercise. The scores are more pensive and mellow, good for when I'm eating ice cream or taking a bubble bath.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    anyone willing to hook me up with a link to that Gone Girl outtake?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With Teeth: took at least 3 years to write (possibly more, but that's how long we were aware of it)
    There's may have been a 3 year gap in releases but TR is on record saying he was very disciplined on WT.He gave himself strict rules that he would record and polish 2 tracks every 10 days or so. Good or bad, 2 songs were done every 10 days. I'm sure he tinkered with them afterwards, but not a 3 year process.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    There's may have been a 3 year gap in releases but TR is on record saying he was very disciplined on WT.He gave himself strict rules that he would record and polish 2 tracks every 10 days or so. Good or bad, 2 songs were done every 10 days. I'm sure he tinkered with them afterwards, but not a 3 year process.
    He was discussing writing in 2004 though (and if you include Bleedthrough could've been longer). It was a lot more than 70 days from when we first heard about it to when it was released after all, so even if he did do "2 tracks in 10 days" (which to me sounds like The Slip?), he probably had some pretty huge gaps between some of those 10 days

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Yeah, "2 tracks in 10 days" bit was definitely about the writing/demoing (just piano + simple drum machine arrangement).

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    So, when I open up Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor on Apple Music Connect, the first thing it shows me is the Grizzly Bear playlist from 11 days ago. Is that normal? I don't see the Gone Girl stuff, and have only found that because he's posted it on Facebook.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    So, when I open up Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor on Apple Music Connect, the first thing it shows me is the Grizzly Bear playlist from 11 days ago. Is that normal? I don't see the Gone Girl stuff, and have only found that because he's posted it on Facebook.
    It was posted under this profile not this profile. Not sure if that helps but Apple Music is a little confusing right now.

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    He was discussing writing in 2004 though (and if you include Bleedthrough could've been longer). It was a lot more than 70 days from when we first heard about it to when it was released after all, so even if he did do "2 tracks in 10 days" (which to me sounds like The Slip?), he probably had some pretty huge gaps between some of those 10 days
    He was probably producing *demos* at the rate of 2 every 10 days, not finished tracks.
    Last edited by botley; 07-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.