Thread: The Feminist Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    There's an awful lot of extremes, don't you think ?

When you teach respect to kids, you teach them to respect everyone, sure. But you don't address the subject the same way whether you're talking about sex, race, class, etc. Each instance of that lesson is a different one. Each reason you have that conversation is a different one. You educate your kids on a case by case basis : Fire is dangerous so don't go near the stove again, bleach is poisonous so don't touch that bottle. Broad statements don't work. "Respect every human being" doesn't mean shit to a 5 year old. So yeah, you teach respect to women because you teach that kid that you should respect that woman there, and the others too by the way. That's how it works.

Also please don't #alllivesmatter in the feminist thread.
    ... and respecting women might be older than our civilisation, but even if we skip the times when it was only because of our instinct, it's still pretty old. Sure, there's no harm in saying that you will do the same, it just sounds mundane.

That's why I mentioned the respect everything part. Not sure what you mean with that #alllivesmatter stuff, I don't think in blocks, I don't consider ideas something I either have to embrace fully, or flat out reject. I'm aware that everything we discuss here is under the umbrella of feminism, and it's just funny how your knee-jerk reaction when I'm talking about respecting everyone is to gasp "oh no, he didn't!!". If you want less dumbasses harassing women, then like it or not, you and me have to make sure we raise decent people. Overly focusing in just one area can have negative effects later on.

But that's why I said the most important thing you can do is the friendly approach, whether you are raising be a kid, a teacher, or other indirect way of "raising" or shaping someone. You can doctrine everyone what's good or what's not, he or she will have no idea what the fuck to do, because life is not a math equation, so imo (and parents can chip in to that) the most important thing when they have questions for you, and then you can really hit some educational nails into them.
    Last edited by Volband; 06-09-2016 at 06:56 AM.