Thread: Cargo in the blood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I'm not buying this, and I don't think most fans (of NIN or Mills) will be either - which works out well since there are only 2000 copies - but at least check out the documentary about the project before assigning a value to the work:

Anyway, I think the artwork is great and would definitely like to see the book at some point. I think the artwork goes well with the album, although I don't think album art necessarily has to match the album. I think it's fine if the art changes how you hear the music.

Do you have a link to that advertising? Because that sounds like a very simplistic interpretation of what was said about the album before it came out (e.g. this), and not something that was obviously present in the advertising.
    If you don't think that Trent was building HM off TDS you're blind.
    http://www.spin.com/2013/08/nine-inc...-marks-stream/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    If you don't think that Trent was building HM off TDS you're blind.
    http://www.spin.com/2013/08/nine-inc...-marks-stream/
    I do think Trent was building off or referencing TDS when making HM. But I think considering any work that references a previous work as "part 2" or a "sequel" is simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Lets not get into semantics, everyone knows what he was referring to. Trent "billed" it as a sequel to TDS. There, hope that's better
    It's not just "semantics". A lot of fans expected HM to sound like TDS or be a follow up to the "plot" of TDS (if there is an overarching plot), and were disappointed because of that expectation. And that's because people though "TDS part 2". When Trent is quoted as saying (from the Spin article tony.parente just linked to)
    I started really thinking a lot about who I was back in the Downward Spiral days, writing that album. Not so much the album, or how it sounds, or even really what it was about, but who I was then and who I’ve become now … how i’ve changed internally, et cetera.
    and fans expect the album to sound like TDS - that's the fault of fans, not the advertising.