Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I have thoughts about a podcast posted in NIN spotting

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I paid for those records and I liked them, and if I recall correctly I was here on this board telling people that didn't to fuck off.
    I think most of us here paid for it. We're crazy obsessive NIN collector fans. It was still something that was offered for free.

Well, since this got split off anyway, may as well actually have a discussion.
    What are your thoughts on the other 9/10ths of my post?

No art should ever be free from any criticism. The quality of the criticism is important, though.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    What are your thoughts on the other 9/10ths of my post?

No art should ever be free from any criticism. The quality of the criticism is important, though.
    I think the quality of criticism depends largely on the context provided, and when one ignores the fact that the work critiqued is freely distributed from a conveniently accessible source, the contextual 'emptiness' brought to the table on the part of the critic is what galls me, really. Especially when it's unacknowledged in the criticism itself. This is rampant on social media.

As for the rest of your original post? I thought the point of comedy podcasts was to incite laughter, and personally I laughed at the goofiness of it. It wasn't just madness either, they consistently use classic music nerd pulls for comedic value: prime example, the vocal track from "Running with the Devil" pitched at a weird speed in a peripheral background level whenever they talked about David Lee Roth.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think the quality of criticism depends largely on the context provided, and when one ignores the fact that the work critiqued is freely distributed from a conveniently accessible source, the contextual 'emptiness' brought to the table on the part of the critic is what galls me, really. Especially when it's unacknowledged in the criticism itself. This is rampant on social media.
    Sorry to say but you're blowing this way out of proportion and overanalyzing the "context provided with contextual emptiness".

It's a podcast and it sounds annoying during a few short moments. Big deal, it's fun anyway.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    It's a podcast and it sounds annoying during a few short moments. Big deal, it's fun anyway.
    If anything it made me aware of the existence of that podcast, intrigued about it, and I subscribed to it so... Win ?