Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: nine inch nails 2016 speculation (fat lady singing edition)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Trent's answer seems very different from the article's own statement that he has a new album he could "release any time." Combined with them claiming Trent was a heroin addict (which he has always said he wasn't) I don't know if it's worth putting much stock in anything that isn't a direct quote from Trent.

That said I totally expect at least a single by the end of the year, leading into a full album later on.

I do kind of hope it's a little more externally focused, like Year Zero but maybe not as married to a concept as much as YZ was. Hesitation Marks really seemed like "Well, here's the last I can say about the same personal issues I've always had," and while I loved it, it seemed like maybe the last full bucket of water from that well before the thing starts to really go dry. There's only so much talk of things inside of him that make life hard that I think he can sing about, and he sure has ... covered the vast majority of them, to say the least. I'm all for something a bit more abstract or outward.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Trent confirms he's working on new NIN. Not exactly news but something.

http://www.nme.com/news/trent-reznor-confirms-hes-working-new-nine-inch-nails-material-1697249

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Trent confirms he's working on new NIN. Not exactly news but something.

http://www.nme.com/news/trent-reznor-confirms-hes-working-new-nine-inch-nails-material-1697249

“We’ve been working on Nine Inch Nails stuff,” he said, referring to his collaborator Ross. “Things are going good and when we have something that we think is excellent we will unleash it upon the world.”

Just post something like that on Twitter already, Trent!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    “We’ve been working on Nine Inch Nails stuff,” he said, referring to his collaborator Ross. “Things are going good and when we have something that we think is excellent we will unleash it upon the world.”

15-second snippet a'la Bleedthrough/WT era teasers, with the word soon fading in, posted December 31st 2016.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I feel like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork are his Twitter now.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    15-second snippet a'la Bleedthrough/WT era teasers, with the word soon fading in, posted December 31st 2016.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...562#post320562

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Sounds to me like nothing will be coming out any time soon. Doesn't sound like they're even near completing any NIN work. Unless he's being purposefully misleading with that answer.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    He has been "less than honest" with us before, not so long ago. I'm taking in a huge grain of salt in before I read anyone's statements these days.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    He has been "less than honest" with us before, not so long ago. I'm taking in a huge grain of salt in before I read anyone's statements these days.
    I think the last time he was really honest about the progress with a NIN album very far out before release was WT. Year Zero had a build up online and through the ARG but Trent never really said "hey, I made this album, it's coming out this day" at least I don't remember him being vocal far out in advance of the release about a new NIN album being done and coming out, Ghosts and The Slip literally came out of nowhere, and I think HM was the one where he literally said he hadn't been completely honest with us about what he was working on.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

nine inch nails 2016 speculation (fat lady singing edition)

TR wouldn't have made that statement on instagram if something wasn't coming out in 2016. He's only talking like that in the interview because he still wants it to be a surprise when one day, before the end of the year, he drops it on us.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 10-23-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: commas

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I would agree that by the sounds of it, it doesn't look like the album will be ready in 2016. However, you never know with TR.
    I don't think he would have doubled down on the "new NIN in 2016" with that Instagram comment, especially if he knew new material wouldn't be ready in time.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I don't think he'd say 2016 isn't over yet for no reason.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    could just be a single that's released this year from the upcoming album....

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    could just be a single that's released this year from the upcoming album....
    Yep or just annoucement with cover

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    T minus 61 days.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Can't help but get a little bit excited now. For a while I took that Dec '15 tweet with a pinch of salt, but the fact that he's responded reasonably positively to questions about new material - as opposed to grumpily telling people to 'get lost' or whatever - suggests to me that indeed we will see something before the new year. So 18th Dec '16 is a Sunday... so that evening then we'll get a tweet saying 'I told you it was coming' and on the stroke of midnight we'll get an MP3 download or YouTube video. Bam. You heard it here first.

Just as a stark contrast to all the soundtrack work and to Hesitation Marks I reckon we'll see something pretty hard / heavy / guitar based too. Not actually my preference, but it's been a while right?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    As much as I loved the BAM SUDDEN MUSIC approach of Ghosts, I miss the slow build we used to get with little teasers on the website and snippets of things that sound so weird and "there's no way that's part of a song" and then when it comes out and everything comes together and blows our minds...
    Either way, the way he has been mentioning new NIN in these interviews is very optimistic that something is coming, and soon. Just maybe not as "soon" as we anticipated last December.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    As much as I loved the BAM SUDDEN MUSIC approach of Ghosts, I miss the slow build we used to get with little teasers on the website and snippets of things that sound so weird and "there's no way that's part of a song" and then when it comes out and everything comes together and blows our minds...
    I'm with you on this. The release, hidden samples and teasers accompanying 'The Fragile' on NIN.COM had me captivated all summer and the ARG was fascinating.

With The Fragile it's like I was watching the album grow and evolve... I think TR released many versions of TDTWWA as it grew or got new layers... starting just with that awesome synth you hear at the beginning.

TR did something different when he released a single... he would do more than just say "Here's a new song"... he gave each song personality and mood by releasing it with colours, images, short samples...even the day of the week... it all added to the experience.

Now... simply going to Apple or Spotify, locate new release and then click PLAY is fucking dull.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    With the upcoming election, I halfway expect a new NIN track to be unleashed today or Monday. I'm thinking the new material will be in the year zeroish realm.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    With the upcoming election, I halfway expect a new NIN track to be unleashed today or Monday. I'm thinking the new material will be in the year zeroish realm.
    Good point. The preview for the new Depeche Mode material has Dave singing "Where's the revolution? Come on people you're letting me down."

Maybe we'll get a new single called Capital T?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I really want it to be YZ 2.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Maybe we'll get a new single called Capital T?
    i would be so excited!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I assumed TR would monitor and let "Before the Flood" soak for a while longer before he announced new NIN... as to not take away thunder from 'Before the Flood'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post

As for a new record - I wonder if the current political climate has got Trent pumped up to blast some seriously heavy stuff? I love funky/pop style NIN, don't get me wrong, but right now an assault style album would go down a treat I reckon.
    I've been trying to think of a way to word how massively i could use an assault style album. A combination of The Great Destroyer + My Violent Heart + Broken + I Do Not Want This + the crescendo of The Way Out Is Through. ....... x 16-19 tracks.

*falls into a dream state*

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Every time someone posts in this thread I get excited because it just says "nine inch nails 2016" on the start page.

It hurts, stop it!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Do you guys think new NIN has been pushed to 2017? Or is there still hope for 2016?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Do you guys think new NIN has been pushed to 2017? Or is there still hope for 2016?
    There's hope.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Starting with Bowie's passing, this year turned out to be quite a shitstorm, so it would be nice to end it on a somewhat redeeming note...I say there IS hope!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think most likely scenario is a single before the New Year and an album title/release date drop for first quarter 2017 but who the hell knows?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah, at this point something has to be announced with in the next week or so, otherwise it will be a surprise release or just a single coming out this year.