Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Anthrax/Armored Saint

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Anthrax/Armored Saint

Some good discussion in another thread, so I think that they deserve their own thread.

Listening to their first album, A Fistful of Metal for the first time, and I can see why they fired Neil Turbin. The guy absolutely blows. Talk about a hackneyed 80's rock singer. Some solid songs, but the vocals just ruin it. They really made the right move when they hired Joey Belladonna, and his first run in the band was solid. That said, I still like John Bush years, with Sound of White Noise being one of my favorite Anthrax albums. Stomp 42 was a little uneven, but the next two were solid and I liked how they ventured into unfamiliar territory.

I quite enjoyed the recent albums with Joey Belladonna. For All Kings is quite excellent and it's good to see an older, established act still kicking ass, as Metallica sure aren't with their new, tired album (ETA: New Metallica is actually pretty great).

I'm just getting into Armored Saint, because of Bush's connection with Anthrax. Some good stuff. Kind of a shame they didn't do better commercially.

I also picked up Joey Belladonna's first album and it's awesome. If you like 90's metal/old-school thrash, try finding it. It's probably on youtube.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-06-2023 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

SOOOOOO 80's in the best way possible. Not cheesy 80's, but still 80's. I really want to see Armored Saint at least once but they barely ever do shows b/c they all have real jobs now I imagine.

EDIT: They're opening for Queensryche this November/December. Full US tour. 12/6 at Irving Plaza...maybe I get in free and leave early after catching their quick set? Hmm......

I still haven't sat down & fully listened to For All Kings. That one single that sounded like watered down hard rock really soured me on the record.

Fistful of Metal is the shit. That album is just so fucking FAST:

What's up Iron Maiden:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So yeah, Anthrax with Bush are so much better but they have recorded great albums with Belladona like "Among the Living", "Persistence of time" or "Worship Music".
    I haven't heard "For all Kings", but i'm sure it's good, as long as they don't let go Charlie Benante, the band is safe...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Check out "Blood Eagle Wings" from their new album.

And who could forget Anthrax on Married with Children:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I remember that episode! lucky bastards they got to hang around with Kelly!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Kelly headbanging is so hot.

In My World is one of their best songs. And on the live version on "Live: The Island Years" they shout out my college radio station:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes. Anthrax return to Europe in 2017 with UK dates in February. I'll be there for the London show. Really hope Charlie is able to make it this time - last couple of times I've seen them he's not been there.

Some of us will groan at the promise of 'Among the Living played in full!' (they do as at pretty much every show, right?), but maybe it'll draw in a few extra punters.

The new record is great, but Persistence of Time is an absolute favourite. Love it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Feeling a little bit let down by the 'Tour Edition' of For All Kings (as per: http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/produc...r-edition.html) - a handful of demo tracks isn't worth the extra cash, in my opinion, and I'm guessing they're not going to be wildly different. I seem to recall Vice Of The People being a pretty good track (I got a cheeky download after it first appeared as a Japanese bonus track), but I was half expecting a small batch of cover songs, or maybe demos of previously unreleased tracks... I guess it's mainly aimed at people who don't have the album yet anyway.

So! The European tour isn't far away now so that's still pretty exciting. (insert devil horns emoji) It'll be ace whatever happens, but I really do hope they mix up the setlist a little this time around. I know the focus will be on Among The Living and For All Kings, but I'd be well pleased with a bit more from Persistence Of Time or State Of Euphoria - and not just Antisocial and Got The Time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just listened to a brief chat with Scott and Frank on BBC 6 Music this afternoon. Glad to hear that the Glasgow show tomorrow will be filmed for a DVD release.

So I caught the London show at the weekend. It was really great to see them fill a large-ish venue as headliners - it must be the first time in ages they've done that here. I saw them play the Astoria in London with John Bush a few years ago, and I'm sure since then it's been all support or festival slots, plus the occasional club show. Good to have Charlie back too. The first half of the set was a good mixture of old and new, and it all went down pretty well too - as far as I could tell anyway, squashed in at the back by the bar. For the second half it was Among The Living in full, which of course is a classic record and much loved by all, but in reality it was a bit awkward. With all the 'hits' being near the front it ended up a bit quiet by the end of the show, and I think a lot of people (sadly) left after Indians. Of course this hasn't gone unnoticed by the band; in the interview today they mentioned that they've now switched the order about so the pacing works better for the live show. Shame they didn't work that out earlier, but that's what you get from seeing a show early in the tour I guess.

It probably doesn't need saying, but the band sounded great. Scott and Frank are still really active on either side of the stage, and Joey is sounding better and better as time goes by. I guess he isn't singing as high as he once was, but that's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Main gripe then, apart from the weird end of set lull, was the lack of Persistence Of Time material. You can't have it all I guess. Maybe next time!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    They just need to stop playing Antisocial & Got the Time imo. They have such an extensive catalogue now that there's no need for two super overplayed covers, despite their popularity as singles when they came out. Those songs are burnt out & could make room for more gems.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I posted this a few days ago on my facebook page:

I wish I could go back in time 24 hours and relive the ANTHRAX show at the House of Blues! 30+ years into their career and they are still kicking ass! Awesome, enthusiastic crowd response too, from fans of all ages. The band was super-tight, and their songs have held up really well. Anthrax are the most underrated of the big four, imho (the others being Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer, for those of you who don't know). They played many classics, i.e. "I am the Law" and "Medusa" alongside new songs like "Blood Eagle Wings." I must say, I feel that Anthrax's last two albums, Worship Music (2011) and For All Kings (2016) are two of the best albums in their catalog, and the new songs blend in seamlessly amongst the classics. Nothing was played from the John Bush-era, which is okay. While I liked those albums, it's great to have Joey Belladonna back in the band, who is, let's face it, the true voice of Anthrax.

I didn't stick around for Killswitch Engage. I was just too tired and had to work the next day.

While I stated in my original post I prefer the Bush-era, I feel that, after spending some time of their catalog, I was mistaken in that belief. I do like those albums, especially SOWN and WCFYA, but the Belladonna era is where it's at--he was just a better fit for them and albums like Persistence of Time and Among the Living is the cream of the crop.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Armored Saint last night in Boston, what a show! They played Symbol of Salvation, front-to-back. Man, what a great album to hear in its entirety live (although I had to miss the last two songs as the damn trains/buses stop running around 12:30 and I had a long ride home). Sorry I missed seeing an Anthrax show when Bush fronted the band, but I think, ultimately, he's a better fit for the Saint. He's 54 and sounds just as good now has he did back in the 80's/90's. Pretty good turnout too.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    There's always something that prevents me from seeing them when they come to NYC. I feel like I'm never going to get the chance. Glad they were still good for you at least.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Anthrax in Boston last night for the second time. Man, they fucking nailed it. I honestly think they sound just as good now as they did 40 years ago. They haven't lost a thing.

Scott said that they are working on a new album after the tour.

Black Label Society and Exodus also put on a great show.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-06-2023 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    How did they approach the sticky language in Keep It In The Family?

I hate Black Label, and I saw that once again Anthrax was mailing in their setlist (other than KIITF) b/c they don't ever get together and rehearse until RIGHT before tours start b/c they're lazy/disinterested/busy w/everything else except...ya know...Anthrax), so I skipped this tour.

And how was Exodus? They were great when I saw them back in the summer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    How did they approach the sticky language in Keep It In The Family?

I hate Black Label, and I saw that once again Anthrax was mailing in their setlist (other than KIITF) b/c they don't ever get together and rehearse until RIGHT before tours start b/c they're lazy/disinterested/busy w/everything else except...ya know...Anthrax), so I skipped this tour.

And how was Exodus? They were great when I saw them back in the summer.
    It was so loud I couldn't make out the words.

Anthrax sound as good now as they did in the 80s. Belladonna can still make that falsetto, air-raid siren scream, hasn't lost a thing, and he's 61!

BLS put on a good show. Cool, stoner metal and Wylde plays like a cross between Van Halen/Iommi. Why do you hate them?

Exodus had a shit ton of energy rocked hard. Don't know a lot of their songs, but they were good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Thats awesome man...glad you had a good time. Yeah Anthrax still brings it for sure, I've just seen them so many times (probably over 20) that I don't care much to see these standard greatest hits sets anymore.

BLS is really basic, formulaic butt metal to me. And their whole image is cringe.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Thats awesome man...glad you had a good time. Yeah Anthrax still brings it for sure, I've just seen them so many times (probably over 20) that I don't care much to see these standard greatest hits sets anymore.

BLS is really basic, formulaic butt metal to me. And their whole image is cringe.
    Over 20 times, that's awesome man. I think that the setlist was meant for the old-school fan who stopped following them after Sound of White Noise. The band did play "Only." It was kind of odd to hear it. It's a great song, but a Bush-era song seemed out of place. Their two reunion albums with Belladonna stand as some of their best work, and I kind of wish they played something from them, but the night was about celebrating the established classics.

I dig BLS, not a super fan, but they deliver what I'm looking for, good, clean stoner rock/metal. They sound pretty awesome after a few edibles.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)