Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked a couple times, forgive me. The Fragile: Deviations 1 download was WAV only. All the Definitive Editions came with FLAC, WAV and MP3. Correct?
    I'm in the U.S. I've downloaded twice now from two different links and BOTH were WAV. All of the DE were FLAC, WAV, and MP3 for me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    So i guess im the only one who noticed that TDTWWA instrumental on this one is the album version?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    So i guess im the only one who noticed that TDTWWA instrumental on this one is the album version?
    As opposed to which?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    huh? As in it's not an Instrumental?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    As opposed to which?
    as opposed to the quiet instrumental version on the Apple Music 2015 instrumental release

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    At first, I was bummed that the element of surprise was mostly ruined for me by the Apple Music instrumentals. But I immensely enjoyed it after the second half, even if I had listened to the AM stuff dozens of times. Plus, I did pick up some subtle differences between AM and Deviations, the most obvious one being, of course, the removal of the noise in La Mer and the restoration of (With Decay). Some of the bonus tracks were amazing. Some of them sound like Coil's Backwards sessions. They had probably used the same sample/loop libraries in Trent's collection at the time.

I'm so happy that we have them all cleaned up and in lossless. The album description on nin.com made it sound like the tracks would be mixed together into one cohesive experience. This wasn't the case, but, at least, he gave us the best tools to make our own Deviations; that is, until he decides to release multitracks in some sort of ultra-mega-special box set next year.

I have made my own hi-res edit of Ripe (With Decay) using the beginning of Ripe from 2017 Definitive and the (With Decay) ending from Deviations. PM me if you'd like to hear it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nope. It's been mentioned a few times... I guess you're not as special as you think.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    Nope. It's been mentioned a few times... I guess you're not as special as you think.
    ha fucking sick burn dude

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I have made my own hi-res edit of Ripe (With Decay) using the beginning of Ripe from 2017 Definitive and the (With Decay) ending from Deviations. PM me if you'd like to hear it.
    Oh now that is an intriguing idea. If you can share that out in FLAC/WAV, I'd certainly be interested; otherwise I think I'll probably end up doing the same for myself. Cheers!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Only issue with that is that section on Deviations has a noise at the start of it that's not on the original, but it only last for 10 seconds before it goes away.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Only issue with that is that section on Deviations has a noise at the start of it that's not on the original, but it only last for 10 seconds before it goes away.
    I took care of that. Wanna hear? PM me.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I am annoyed that the last track on The Fragile: Deviations is written as "Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)" on nin.com and on in the booklet*, because it's supposed to be "Ripe (With Decay) (Instrumental)" but now I have to write it without the parentheses because that's the 'official' way now.

* - Actually, it's written as "Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)" on nin.com, but it's written as "Ripe With Decay [Instrumental]" in the booklet. Even worse. UGH.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I am annoyed that the last track on The Fragile: Deviations is written as "Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)" on nin.com and on in the booklet*, because it's supposed to be "Ripe (With Decay) (Instrumental)" but now I have to write it without the parentheses because that's the 'official' way now.

* - Actually, it's written as "Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)" on nin.com, but it's written as "Ripe With Decay [Instrumental]" in the booklet. Even worse. UGH.
    That is definitely the beginning of Year 1 ARG.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I meant as in, the Instrumental version on the Deviation is the actually album verison, and the not the quiet version.

Thats all. I didnt see any posts about it is all

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So why are some of the new tracks labelled as 'Instrumental' and some are not, despite all of them instrumental? Is this meant to imply that some of the songs actually have lyrics, but they're only instrumental on this release...?

The March, Not What It Seems Like, Was It Worth It?, and Can I Stay Here? are all explicitly marked as Instrumental. Missing Places, One Way To Get There, Taken, White Mask, Feeders, Claustrophobia Machine, and Last Heard Of are not. So are we meant to infer that those four songs have lyrics somewhere? Is this just an oversight? Has this already been discussed?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So why are some of the new tracks labelled as 'Instrumental' and some are not, despite all of them instrumental? Is this meant to imply that some of the songs actually have lyrics, but they're only instrumental on this release...?

The March, Not What It Seems Like, Was It Worth It?, and Can I Stay Here? are all explicitly marked as Instrumental. Missing Places, One Way To Get There, Taken, White Mask, Feeders, Claustrophobia Machine, and Last Heard Of are not. So are we meant to infer that those four songs have lyrics somewhere? Is this just an oversight? Has this already been discussed?
    Discussed last time (AM release), but basically we don't know. Assumption is yes, it means they're instrumental versions of vocal songs, but it could also mean that the instrumental marked tracks are modified versions and the unmarked ones are flat out unreleased tracks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I was thinking that the songs that weren't marked Instrumental are instrumental's normally. I mean the other songs marked instrumental have lyrics (at least, the songs that had them on The Fragile), so why put that label on a song that doesn't even have lyrics?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted here for relevance:

Quote Originally Posted by perterje View Post
    Not only that, I just finished downloading Deviations 1, and was a little disappointed to only find WAV files in that archive. But upon trying again, that archive too has been updated with a new one, renamed to imply that it contains all 3 filetypes. I'm currently downlading that too.
    The Deviations 1 .zip archive has indeed been updated (8.5 GB).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok, Starting to hear some tracks, presuming they are not fakes. The new "lost" tracks sound very much of their time. I'd be intrigued to hear where they fit in , in the recording time line. The sound quite dated, and I mean that with utter respect, they are interesting and enjoyable but I can see, thematically why they would have been left off the album first time round.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Actually some of them sound down right terrifying. Like they belong on the Quake soundtrack.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    ...and the restoration of (With Decay).
    I wonder why "Decay" (I'm assuming it'd be called "Ripe/Decay" if we got a definitive version) wasn't restored separately, a la "+Appendage" for this release. It is very obviously 2 songs.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I wonder why "Decay" (I'm assuming it'd be called "Ripe/Decay" if we got a definitive version) wasn't restored separately, a la "+Appendage" for this release. It is very obviously 2 songs.
    Eh, I dunno about that. I guarantee there's one Pro Tools session for "Ripe" as on Deviations 1 and there's another PT session for "Ripe (With Decay)." It's at the same tempo and in the same key (mostly), which is why the latter half of "Ripe" crossfades so perfectly with "Decay." I think they realized it was moved to be album closer and wanted something more final/confusing/unresolved, so they composed further.

TL;DR: The very fact that we have no alternates of "Decay" on Deviations 1/TF Instrumental is probably a hint that it isn't separate.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone else already put Missing Places in between Wretched and WITT on their soft copy of TF DE yet? It pretty much flows directly into WITT. Anyone with one of those fancy spectrum analyzers care to see if they line up as well as my ears say they do?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Anyone else already put Missing Places in between Wretched and WITT on their soft copy of TF DE yet? It pretty much flows directly into WITT. Anyone with one of those fancy spectrum analyzers care to see if they line up as well as my ears say they do?
    You can't just drop it in because WITT has its regular intro, which totally fucks the transition out of MP. You have to edit in the vocal version of WITT to make it work. (Which I did!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Onon my first real listen through.

was it worth it?

Yes, yes it was. The album is quite good but that song alone makes it worth it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Heh, yeah, that was bothering me too, but at least the version on Deviations is pretty significantly different (at least in the Ripe section) to merit a slightly different name. The Ripe from "Ripe (With Decay)" isn't the same as the Ripe from "Ripe With Decay," so IMO it's easy enough to rationalize.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm sure it's come up already, but do none of the *new* tracks have lyrics? vocals?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i'm sure it's come up already, but do none of the *new* tracks have lyrics? vocals?
    No vocals aside from a few oohs and ahhs that might not even be noticed. Can't remember which one, I think on right side, had some. Don't know the names by heart yet.

To be fair, with the new tracks, you don't really miss the vocals cause they never existed. But the tracks we know, some feel empty in spots. Still a great experience.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    So something is clearly wrong with the updated archive, look at the file sizes:

The first WAV .zip (FAT) gives a "CRC failed" error. The second WAV .zip (UNIX) gives a "Headers Error". Everything else opens/extracts/etc. fine.

Last edited by Jon; 12-23-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: words words words

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Success! Finally. Now to listen and digest it all.