Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSelection View Post
    It's so upsetting to me that there is no digital release and that it's such a limited run. I can't afford the 80 bucks to get it and probably won't be able to in the near future either and I'm gonna miss out. The Fragile is my favorite album of all time, and I won't get to listen to all this new unreleased music. Man, poverty fucking blows. Fuck.
    /rant

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will upload a high-quality lossless version of it on The Pirate Bay or KAT. I can hope...
    The 24 bit FLAC has been on a certain well known torrent site since before Christmas.
    Last edited by Camille; 12-26-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    My Deviations 1 .rar file filled with the WAVs said it was corrupt as well. I just ignored it and let it all extract and the files were all fine once it completed.
    I thought I was done with WINRAR. I guess not. Installed it and finally got to the files

Loving some of the new tracks - Taken is basically NIN does Jungle ;-)

Over two and a half hours to analyze. Time to settle in my happy place...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "Taken" is fucking creepy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Where is 5.1 remix that was worked on with Alan Moulder?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    All of the DE's I've heard, the loudest parts are no longer punchy due to extreme limiting (like on MOTP and 10 Miles High). If you don't have speakers or earphones that have any/much low range, you won't notice – any many don't, so that's cool! The drums don't hit the same way once things get loud. However, the guitars and mid-range stuff is certainly more buzzsaw-y, sharp and defined, so if that's your thing, get rid of those old suckers.
    You're unbelievable.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    How is it not the WITT riff? It sounds almost exactly like it! :P It's the same exact notes (and probably the same exact recording of those notes), just distorted/filtered differently.

When you say "that is not the WITT riff", do you mean you don't think it's even remotely close? Or do you recognize that there's only minor differences, but that means it's not the same riff to you?
    The aesthetic is totally the same, of course. Same synth/guitar, same distortion, and the first note does indeed sound the same, though the rhythmic chopping in WITT/MP makes it harder to hear the tonal center. My issue with saying "it's the same!!!" is that the rhythm after the first note is COMPLETELY different. Are they all the same notes? Maybe. I hear an extra one in LHF that isn't used in WITT. But the fact that the rhythm is completely different makes it non-identical and therefore not the same riff. WITT was the song that got me into NIN in 2002, and I've been obsessed ever since – the bloody riff loop is buried in my bone marrow somewhere. It isn't the same one in LFH. (Not saying this isn't the case for you, since I don't know; just that, if it is the same for you, I don't understand how you hear them as the same.)

It's totally possible the riff in LHF was chopped to fuck, looped, and used to make MP/WITT. That's super possible. But as it is now, LFH isn't the same thing. Write them out in musical notation and they will not be alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    IMO, 'Missing Places' was definitely some kind of alternate idea for an intro to WITT. It sounds like a remix of the first 30 seconds or so of the Album/Single/Vinyl version of the song. Like the Slate Intro to Sanctified off Purest Feeling.

For example:
    Missing Places: 0:00 - 0:08= WITT guitar riff x4; WITT sound effect x4
    WITT (album version): 0:17 - 0:36= WITT guitar riff x8; Riff also present and often repeated again throughout most of the song.
    WITT (album version): at about 0:28= WITT sound effect X1 (or a close variant of that same sound effect)

I hear a FUCK ton more of other stuff from the original/album version- in certain cases, sample that are pitch changed, and others left in tact. Love this track!!!
    Not sure if you meant to address the discussion with myself, Pbgut and TinDefacto, but we were talking about the riff in WITT being used in "Last Heard From" (or not). We're all in agreement that "Missing Places" uses the same one because it's quite bloody obvious with the segue directly into WITT.

Though the riff as used in MP is chopped into a different time signature, so technically it isn't the same. Rabbit hole!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Oh wow, the Great Below instrumental... goosebumps!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I wonder if any of them are Rotation or Stained?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    You're unbelievable.
    "What did you do for the holidays?"
    "Oh, I made five nearly identical posts complaining about some aspects of the remasters of albums I am totally obsessed with again while praising other parts of them. You know. Spreading the holiday cheer."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I wonder if any of them are Rotation or Stained?
    Fan consensus is that "Stained" is "Underneath It All," because of the lyrics.

I dunno if any consensus was ever reached about "Rotation." It could be any instrumental. However, it seems likely it's an instrumental that was released on the final album, because all of the tracklists with "Rotation" otherwise use final album songs that were near completion and in consideration for the record. This pretty much eliminates all of the incomplete material we're getting now.

These are non-contenders because they already had their final titles:
    – Complication
    – The Mark Has Been Made
    – Ripe (With Decay)
    – Pilgrimage
    – La Mer

So the remaining possibilities are "The Frail" and "Just Like You Imagined." If these were almost finished, I can't imagine either one could possibly be left off, because they're so goddamn good. However, we know "The Frail" became a thing late in the process, because it was inspired by Keith Hillebrandt's deconstructed remix of "The Fragile" (released through nin.com later), which means it was likely made after "The Fragile" was (near-)finished. Two of the three early tracklists we've seen place "Rotation" before "The Fragile." It would make sense that "The Frail" would originally be considered an intro for "The Fragile," especially since "The Wretched" at the time probably still had the intro acoustic guitar, which makes a pretty terrible segue out of "The Frail" keyboard chord stacks (which crossfade just great with "The Fragile" intro). So I think it's a strong case it could be "The Frail."

... With that said, it's entirely possible "The Frail" happened so late that it was after all of those tracklists were brainstormed, and "Rotation" is therefore JLYI. I don't know.

It also could be any vocal track that isn't in those early tracklists that made it on the record, including:
    – WITT
    – No, You Don't
    – The Great Below
    – WIE?
    – ILFTJYF
    – The Big Come Down

Someone ask @teitan
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 12-26-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Fan consensus is that "Stained" is "Underneath It All," because of the lyrics.

I dunno if any consensus was ever reached about "Rotation." It could be any instrumental. However, it seems likely it's an instrumental that was released on the final album, because all of the tracklists with "Rotation" otherwise use final album songs that were near completion and in consideration for the record. This pretty much eliminates all of the incomplete material we're getting now.

These are non-contenders because they already had their final titles:
    – Complication
    – The Mark Has Been Made
    – Ripe (With Decay)
    – Pilgrimage
    – La Mer

So the remaining possibilities are "The Frail" and "Just Like You Imagined." If these were almost finished, I can't imagine either one could possibly be left off, because they're so goddamn good. However, we know "The Frail" became a thing late in the process, because it was inspired by Keith Hillebrandt's deconstructed remix of "The Fragile" (released through nin.com later), which means it was likely made after "The Fragile" was (near-)finished. Two of the three early tracklists we've seen place "Rotation" before "The Fragile." It would make sense that "The Frail" would originally be considered an intro for "The Fragile," especially since "The Wretched" at the time probably still had the intro acoustic guitar, which makes a pretty terrible segue out of "The Frail" keyboard chord stacks (which crossfade just great with "The Fragile" intro). So I think it's a strong case it could be "The Frail."

... With that said, it's entirely possible "The Frail" happened so late that it was after all of those tracklists were brainstormed, and "Rotation" is therefore JLYI. I don't know.

It also could be any vocal track that isn't in those early tracklists that made it on the record, including:
    – WITT
    – No, You Don't
    – The Great Below
    – WIE?
    – ILFTJYF
    – The Big Come Down

Someone ask @teitan
    I always thought that weird ass ending of WIE? was rotation....it just seems out of place
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 12-26-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I always thought that weird ass ending of WIE? was rotation....it just seems out of place
    It IS pseudo-palindromic, so that could explain where the rotation idea comes from (it 'rotates' back and forth from forward to backward). However, why a 39-second blip would be so central in those tracklists when all the other tracks are full length songs is beyond me. You'd figure if it were from a longer track or blip it would've been on Deviations 1 like "Feeders" (from the NYD intro).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Where is 5.1 remix that was worked on with Alan Moulder?
    The LP are mixed in quadrophonic, however you'll need two record players playing at the same time (and in sync) to get the full experience.
    (kidding)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It IS pseudo-palindromic, so that could explain where the rotation idea comes from (it 'rotates' back and forth from forward to backward). However, why a 39-second blip would be so central in those tracklists when all the other tracks are full length songs is beyond me. You'd figure if it were from a longer track or blip it would've been on Deviations 1 like "Feeders" (from the NYD intro).
    Either that or the Untitled from TFA. I always thought that was Rotation too

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Some of Claustrophobia Machine has a 70s horror movie vibe.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    aside from a full instrumental of Ripe (With Decay); not just Ripe (from the definitive vinyl download) and not just the very different version found on The Fragile Instrumental.
    Are you trollin'? RWD on the original album IS instrumental. There are no words.

Or do you mean you want the original RWD remastered? I can probably splice that up for ya.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've probably posted this elsewhere before, but this Alan Moulder (with some Trent) interview is VERY relevant right now. It's about coming in to work on the fragile and the state that things were in when he arrived. Lots of random bits but only one real song. Start at 9m50s.

https://app.box.com/s/r9wfc815iqvicgmosrwvkcaeyyk1hesw
    Last edited by blassster; 12-26-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure if you meant to address the discussion with myself, Pbgut and TinDefacto, but we were talking about the riff in WITT being used in "Last Heard From" (or not). We're all in agreement that "Missing Places" uses the same one because it's quite bloody obvious with the segue directly into WITT.
    ...Oh. Lol, I thought you were talking about Missing Places/WITT. Carry on.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really like "Not What It Seems Like."

I can easily imagine where the vocals would be.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Oh wow, the Great Below instrumental... goosebumps!
    Agreed. That shit is worthy of Mozart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing this. Was a great listen. Loved hearing TR laugh about the snare drum in WITT.

Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I've probably posted this elsewhere before, but this Alan Moulder (with some Trent) interview is VERY relevant right now. It's about coming in to work on the fragile and the state that things were in when he arrived. Lots of random bits but only one real song. Start at 9m50s.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    If only there was a Deviations version of A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step". Vanishing, Blue and The Package would kill as instrumentals.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post

Wow great listen. I love shit like that. I sure hope one day TR does something like that for every major release. Some say it ruins the mystery but I think it adds to it. Right to the killers after the fragile, eek...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I'm finally through. Phew.

I have to say that, as a person who has for 17 years now touted the awesome music behind The Fragile—which sometimes gets lost behind its lyrics or even its lore as an album—I am still somehow astonished how well these new arrangements stand up as instrumental pieces. I paid my $80 for those nine bonus tracks. I don't have a record player; I don't have any plans to get one in the near future. I just wanted the extra material I've been dying to hear for my entire adult life and thought $80 was actually a fair ask for that. I assumed the rest of the Deviations beast would be a curiosity I'd listen to once. Well, I'm already directly into my second spin, and enjoying the shit out of this. Seriously, I cannot believe how well constructed these songs reveal themselves to be when there's nothing else at all to distract you from the music—not that I didn't find them well-constructed before, but this is just a whole new level of appreciation. And the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle tweaks) made to the instrumental versions are masterful.

Also, I never once before listening to this caught the connection that's hinted at between "The Perfect Drug" and tracks like "Starfuckers." Obviously, the new material helps bridge that gap. I always just sort of thought that, since he was so dissatisfied with "Drug," that he just abandoned all things influenced by his love of drum & bass. But no, hints of it made it into the LP. Fascinating.

And I say all of this as a man who, generally, thinks "Demo" versions should never ever be released because I find they almost always tend to diminish, not enhance, the final art. Of course, now I'd like to spend six hours with Trent and ask him when lyrics were added or taken away from this piece or that one.

My criticism? I feel like "The New Flesh" is wickedly out of place sequenced where it is. Anyone else have that issue, or is it just because I've had it in its vinyl position for so long that I feel beholden and can't shake it?

EDIT: Also, does anyone else get a wickedly strong "Driver Down" vibe from "One Way to Get There"?
    Having The New Flesh After TGB makes me think that "Untitled" is really The New Flesh......or maybe that was The New Flesh as a Demo.........or maybe The New Flesh is actually Rotation

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    You know, I always kinda wondered if we should Occam's Razor* "Rotation" and assume that it literally meant a rotated song. As in "We might put 'X' here, we might put 'Y' here, or we might put 'Z' here." Or, even more interesting, a rotated spot that would be different on the CD, cassette, and vinyl version--which I think is ultimately a plausible consideration, given that all three were actually different.

EDIT: Also, the instrumental cements for me that "The New Flesh" is justifiably one of my all-time favorite Nine Inch Nails songs. How many fucking layers does that thing have?

*If I may verb that term.
    You may.

I agree about The New Flesh, that shit's insane. Complications of the Flesh is sexy too.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Going to host a DJ/karaoke party for some friends of mine this New Year's Eve. Tempted to force everyone to listen to the entirety of The Fragile: Deviations 1, as well as require them to know all the lyrics by heart and sing them at the top of their lungs (and even make up their own lyrics for the bonus tracks). People will automatically begin scratching their heads, then bum the fuck out, then finally proceed to throw me out of the window with my external hard drive jammed up my bunghole. Should be fun. Wish me luck!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yes the new flesh is a masterpiece and is a top ten nin song for me. It goes from weird and psychedelic, like a dreamscape to this really low and slow doomy rock mess. The end is by far one of the best nin moments ever. That riff.....I believe the lyrics say "I'm becoming" at the end but I always hear in my head something like " I've becooooome aaaaa rooouund", or something similar. I know it makes no sense but its hard for me to hear what it says. Just a perfect outro. The crowd noises.....I can go on and on.

Apologies for talking about vocal version.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 12-27-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Taken has a Charlie Clouser vibe to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a writing credit on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so happy that I purchased this!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Going to host a DJ/karaoke party for some friends of mine this New Year's Eve. Tempted to force everyone to listen to the entirety of The Fragile: Deviations 1, as well as require them to know all the lyrics by heart and sing them at the top of their lungs (and even make up their own lyrics for the bonus tracks). People will automatically begin scratching their heads, then bum the fuck out, then finally proceed to throw me out of the window with my external hard drive jammed up my bunghole. Should be fun. Wish me luck!!!
    i've considered making karaoke videos out of some of the more straightforward tracks from deviations. maybe this is the inspiration i need!