Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Me too, I feel like it was one of those tracks that should have been in the original cd version too. Hell it was on some of those early sequences and there was that website post about convincing TR not to cut it.

I feel similar about The New Flesh, the "original" cut sounds like its some sort of remix of sorts, but regardless I wish it was left in the original CD version.
    Yeah, it was pretty silly either track was cut from the CD version. I do wish Appendage was also included with the Definitive Edition.

I do hope we get another Fragile Deviations with tracks like TDTWWA Quiet, Complication Of The Flesh, The Perfect Drug, The Perfect Drug NIN Version, Deep, Slipping Away, The Great Collapse, Metal and any more unheard stuff and vocal versions of Deviations 1 extras all nice and remastered.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty silly either track was cut from the CD version. I do wish Appendage was also included with the Definitive Edition.
    Agreeded. The Deviations version has a different vibe without that chunky guitar riff and the vocals.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can Trent make Definitive Editions for every Halo, including all singles/EPs/remix albums?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This obviously has to be a result of constantly following The Meathead Perspective back in the 2000s, as I inevitably keep visualizing a trippy flash animation to Can I Stay Here?, birthday card related or not.

With that aside, I got lots of love for Can I Stay Here? right now, as well as The Fragile: Deviations 1, which could also hold me over for quite some time. I could totally immerse myself in that album and zone out to it. It also seems to answer all my speculation as to what could've happened if Trent used some of the more heavier and abrasive sounds for The Fragile as shown in Somewhat Damaged and No, You Don't (Including the static at the end of it.), or the overall sound that Things Falling Apart had.

As a TFA lover, I really am blown away. Beautiful and abrasive as NIN could/should/would be.

I'll eventually get it, but have settled for YouTube for now. Even if I could find it elsewhere, I just love supporting Trent in exchange of all of those glorious hours. I know that I'm fanboying a bit again, but this release is also yet again a reminder as to why I really am a fan, and how, since I got into NIN in between TF and WT anyway.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    can we coax meathead out of nin-retirement to write lyrics for was it worth it? and then can we all record our own versions of how we think it would sound? has this already been suggested?? SHOULD I START THE INDIEGOGO CAMPAIGN???

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Meathead = Spoiler: Leviathant

Been saying it, will keep feeling that way

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post

It's not, they're 2 different people. Though not sure if you're being serious or not.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

Ha, jokes on you, I'm obviously Spoiler: Trent Reznor

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Ha, jokes on you, I'm obviously Spoiler: Trent Reznor
    That's even more unlikely, I don't remember you calling anyone a cunt.

No, you're GanduGains, only explanation for his constant return.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I haven't seen the two of them in a room at the same time. You're on to something!

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    So, now we have two different tracks titled The Day The World Went Away (Instrumental), one from Apple music release (Quiet) and another from TFD1.
    Looks like not a lot of people decided to differentiate the two in tags, as The Day the World Went Away (Quiet) (instrumental) only shows 2 listeners on Last.fm...

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    It's not, they're 2 different people. Though not sure if you're being serious or not.
    Imagine how funny it would be if it were true though..

Levi is arguably the hardest working dude in the NIN fan community, but once a month, he gives in to some Jekyll and Hyde persona where he turns tail and roasts the living shit out of Trent in some form or fashion under the Meathead moniker, using his own NIN Hotline site as a soapbox. Hilarity ensues.

Name me another modern day band that would have anything that comical going for it. Can't be done..

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    nah. there were pictures of meathead at wt shows. he doesn't look like matt at all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    nah. there were pictures of meathead at wt shows. he doesn't look like matt at all.
    Don't forget Meathead performing Closer, 3min in

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    You know, I never checked and don't own the CDs anymore. Were those cut for length? I don't recall either disc actually pushing 70 minutes. And if not for length, then why cut them on CD and leave them on vinyl?
    they were added into the vinyl sequence because of considering each side its own unique thing, and not wanting to break things up in an awkward way. not sure why they weren't included on the CDs, because each is less than 50 minutes, if i remember correctly.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    they were added into the vinyl sequence because of considering each side its own unique thing, and not wanting to break things up in an awkward way. not sure why they weren't included on the CDs, because each is less than 50 minutes, if i remember correctly.
    They were cut because TR decided not to include them on what was considered the definitive running order at the time (the CDs). There's a diary entry about others trying to convince him to keep 10MH on the album but he was leaning against it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, I remember that. I was just curious why the decision was made to cut them at all, if time didn't warrant it. I guess in the case of "10 Miles High," it was TR's QA process; I never really read it that way before. I assumed there was a reason something had to be cut. If that's the case, I wonder if "New Flesh" was cut for QA reasons as well? That would blow my fucking mind. I think that song is some of his finest work ever​.
    I have the same reaction for both of them. Two of my favourite tracks and, I think, better than some stuff left in the original 'definitive' grouping.

Can't speak to it with authority, of course, but placing myself in his position as best I can, I'm sure trying to cut down so much material that all feels essential and worth sharing felt basically impossible. There's no way any sense of clarity can be found when still so close to the material – remember, this was right down to the wire. Asking everyone else involved starts pushing songs around and shifting priorities. I'm sure the final kibosh on 10MH and TNF was the Ezrin sequencing without them because it felt like the right length. Not without some wincing, though... pretty sure TR said somewhere (Access Q&A?) that TNF is one of his favourites.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I can't believe they needed Ezrin to sequence this record... Sure, I only feel this way because I'm so used to it, but it just FEELS so natural to have it run the way it does. How could they have done it any other way? The alternate sequences they seemed to be toying with look insane (then again, that's with hindsight)

The opening of Left (in fact almost all of it, bar NYD) is some of the most perfectly sequenced music I've ever come across, and feels so right together. I get the idea Ezrin came in, looked at Trent with a "the fuck?" look on his face, and was done about ten minutes later.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Maybe TNF being a favourite of Reznor is a product of the decision to cut if from the CD mix. Or at least that had an influence on it becoming a favourite of his, for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I can't believe they needed Ezrin to sequence this record... Sure, I only feel this way because I'm so used to it, but it just FEELS so natural to have it run the way it does. How could they have done it any other way? The alternate sequences they seemed to be toying with look insane (then again, that's with hindsight)

The opening of Left (in fact almost all of it, bar NYD) is some of the most perfectly sequenced music I've ever come across, and feels so right together. I get the idea Ezrin came in, looked at Trent with a "the fuck?" look on his face, and was done about ten minutes later.

Don't forget that sequencing TF didn't just mean shuffling the tracks that got released, but also deciding to pick or drop tracks from the whole pool of options, some of which we have now thanks to Deviations, and some that we probably don't; not just that, but the tracks themselves were further remixed after the sequencing was decided upon. So the inputs to the sequencing process are not the tracks we know and love.
    Last edited by jmtd; 02-14-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I think they needed an outsider to come in and make sense of it, because it's clear that nobody involved with the band on a regular basis was going to be able to piece together the album in a satisfying way. They were just too close to it to come to a proper conclusion about how it should be arranged.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Man. I hope part of the Deviations package is a 70,000-word, Reznor-penned essay on the creation of that fucking behemoth. Normally, I don't go in for Behind the Scenes features. But in this case, I'd give a...what the hell body part haven't I offered up yet?
    That'd be fucking tits.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Man. I hope part of the Deviations package is a 70,000-word, Reznor-penned essay on the creation of that fucking behemoth. Normally, I don't go in for Behind the Scenes features. But in this case, I'd give a...what the hell body part haven't I offered up yet?
    Still waiting on that With Teeth deluxe edition with the essay to be released along with the Tension DVD

Any day now, right?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Maybe TNF being a favourite of Reznor is a product of the decision to cut if from the CD mix. Or at least that had an influence on it becoming a favourite of his, for a while.

Don't forget that sequencing TF didn't just mean shuffling the tracks that got released, but also deciding to pick or drop tracks from the whole pool of options, some of which we have now thanks to Deviations, and some that we probably don't; not just that, but the tracks themselves were further remixed after the sequencing was decided upon. So the inputs to the sequencing process are not the tracks we know and love.
    Yeah it's not like they had 24 tracks with built-in segues and went "Well now, how should we assemble all this... Hey, that fade-out almost matches this fade-in perfectly ! Awesome !"

And you just have to browse any Fragile-related thread to see people argue and bicker over which "Ultimate Resequenced Streamlined Novel Tracklist I Tweaked In Audacity" is best to realize The Fragile could have been very, very different.
    Last edited by Khrz; 02-14-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And, since we're on the topic, I always looked at "Appendage" as a booby prize for being forced to still listen on cassette. Like a "Sorry, dude. Here's something nice that other people don't get since you're apparently stuck in a shitty situation." My belief on this topic was reinforced by the fact that the track was not, in any timely fashion, made available via some superior medium (CD single B-side, perhaps), and my confidence redoubled when it didn't appear in sequence in the 2017 Definitive Edition.

Back to the matter at hand, I could see there maybe not being space enough to put both "10 Miles" and "Flesh" on the Right disc, which is where they'd both fall in the Ezrin arrangement. Not unless you tacked "The Way Out" onto Left, which would be awful. So, the decision to ditch "10 Miles High"—its inclusion already dubious due to Reznor's QA concerns—was made easier. It goes. But why ditch both? Especially if, as you said, "New Flesh" is a favorite of Reznor's? (Incidentally, you don't perchance have a source for that, do you?) It's not like they're interdependent pieces. "The Frail" might seem a bit odd and out of place were it not for "The Fragile"; but I don't see how "Flesh" would suffer in the absence of "10 Miles."
    Here ya go:
    "Hello everybody. I've been doing a lot of European press lately and they've been mentioning the various configurations of 'the fragile' and wondering if there was a reason (other than to make the hard-core fan buy them all) to have some different tracks on them.

If you're curious, here's why. We agonized over the sequencing of the record and focused solely on the CD config. as the definitive one. After the decision was made to move to two CDs the problem then became removing tracks to get the right feel and flow.

Taking the new flesh' off the CD was a tough call because Alan and myself really like the track, but it destroyed the balance and it just didn't fit.

When we assembled the cassette, we now had four beginnings and endings to contend with instead of two of each (for the CD) follow? It worked out pretty well just dividing the songs up, but we wanted the A sides of the cassettes to be slightly longer than the B sides (so that when the tape flips over you are not in the middle of the first song on that side). We added the 'appendage' to 'please' to make that work.

For the vinyl, the decision to move to three discs was based on fidelity. (you can only fit so many minutes on a side of vinyl before it degrades the sound)

So now we are faced with SIX beginnings and endings. Simply splitting the sides up didn't work as well this time so we decided to include the other two tracks we had been considering ('10 miles high' and 'the new flesh') as well as use the full unedited versions of all the other songs on the record. The vinyl sequencing has actually grown on me lately as a viable alternate! -just thought you might want to know…"

Source: http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart180.shtml

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quick Questions. Is this "The Fragile Outtakes" just the new stuff from Deviations 1 isolated?

Edit: Along with other vocal demos
    Last edited by patj825; 02-17-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I still haven't given this a proper runthrough yet. Maybe I will when the vinyl finally gets delivered.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patj825 View Post
    Quick Questions. Is this "The Fragile Outtakes" just the new stuff from Deviations 1 isolated?

Edit: Along with other vocal demos
    Yes. It says right in the description of the video.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://instagram.com/p/BQou9SeFa-G/

Seems like the color proofs for The Fragile (Definitive Edition) Vinyl release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by high def ultra-realism; 02-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    .....ok i don't know how i never noticed this before.

That acoustic guitar riff that you can barely hear on 10 miles high (or just at the end on TFA) Is the main riff on Hello, Everything is not OK

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/BQou9SeFa-G/

Seems like the color proofs for The Fragile (Definitive Edition) Vinyl release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fuck if they're just now getting the color proofs we aren't getting our vinyls until goddamned November.