Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Beetlejuice

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Too bad they didn't shoot it on film.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    It does looks fun, but I hope it's editing, and not Ortega's character just blabbing his name out because she's a brat or something. Practical effects are always welcome, and great to see Keaton playing the character again.

But there seems to be a tad too many member-berries in here, when you have an entire universe of the dead to tap into.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It does kind of look like they're taking some stuff from the cartoon, maybe? I don't have a concrete spot to point to but maybe it's the way the sand worms look/act for that small bit. Also Lydia's hair kind of looks like the cartoon version in a way.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This looks fantastic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wasn't interested in watching it until that extended trailer came out...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    "in a conversation with Empire Magazine, Keaton reveals that he was adamant that he would only be returning for the Beetlejuice sequel if his screen time is properly maximized. The Golden Globe winner appeared in the original for about 17 minutes, and he maintained that he doesn’t want to be in the sequel for much longer because he believes “a lot of Betelgeuse” would only get tiresome quickly."

#savedyouaclick

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    "in a conversation with Empire Magazine, Keaton reveals that he was adamant that he would only be returning for the Beetlejuice sequel if his screen time is properly maximized. The Golden Globe winner appeared in the original for about 17 minutes, and he maintained that he doesn’t want to be in the sequel for much longer because he believes “a lot of Betelgeuse” would only get tiresome quickly."

#savedyouaclick
    Sorry, I should have posted that quote in the post.

I agree 100% with Keaton. A great example that less is more.

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Sorry, I should have posted that quote in the post.

I agree 100% with Keaton. A great example that less is more.
    No need to apologize, I wouldn't have had anything to post if you hadn't shared the link! And yeah, +1 for the monster not dominating the screentime. I mean, it was fine for the cartoon when I was a kid, but a character like Beetlejuice should be the seasoning, not the entree.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Okay this is legitimately looking decent.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Premiered in Venice recently and the reviews are very positive.

I've got to say I'm pretty pumped about this.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Premiered in Venice recently and the reviews are very positive.

I've got to say I'm pretty pumped about this.
    I’m really encouraged by the reception from Venice. People are saying it’s the best thing Burton has made in decades, and that it actually is a good homage to the original. I have to admit that I got was a little off put by some of the clips in that most recent trailer… I’m pretty excited for it.

EDIT: eeeeeeeeeh… reviews are coming in and they’re a little less enthusiastic…
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-29-2024 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    my expectations are low, which should hopefully help me enjoy it more.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    So… I just saw it… and I hate to break it to you guys, but this movie fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

I’ve never seen a movie rush through its paper-thin story in such a clumsy way, throwing two dimensional characters at you that ultimately serve no purpose in the convoluted narrative while you’re constantly hit with anticlimax after anticlimax. What was the point of the Willem Dafoe character? You could have removed every scene he was in and it wouldn’t have changed a single story event. Was Monica Belucci supposed to be the antagonist, or just someone who shows up every few scenes to wander around saying “where is Beetlejuice” while she drains the soul from some ancillary character.

Then again there’s no exposition here, it just throws you into the world and assumes you’ve been familiarized. That doesn’t work either though because all the characters have different personalities now. I guess Ortega is kind of a reboot of the original Lydia character, and Lydia’s significant other is a reframed version of the Otto character (and it’s never explained why Lydia is hooking up with this douchebag that everyone hates).

There’s none of the magic or gothic mystery in this. The humor all falls flat. Beetlejuice’s character is now a dumb jokey one-liner, and none of his jokes are funny. Just what an empty, shitty film. It felt less like a realized, plotted movie, and more like a Universal Studios movie-ride. I can’t believe it was even released in this state. It’s a complete mess. There were at least five moments in the film where it was like “wait, WHAT?! That’s it?! That’s how they’re going to resolve that?!” I’ll avoid spoilers, but it feels dumb to even hold back there, because there’s so little point to anything happening in this story, and one of the biggest shortcomings here is how predictable every plot twist is. But it doesn’t matter what happens; you are given NO reason to give a shit about any of these characters, unless you’re bringing some attachment from the original film… and really, I want to divorce this in every way from the original. I don’t want to think about this piece of shit when I watch the original, which is easily one of my favorite comedies of all time. I’ve seen it a hundred times, and I feel like I need to put it on right now as a palette cleanser… but maybe I shouldn’t. Maybe I should avoid any association…

And god, trying to repackage the whole Harry Bellafonte motif with McArthur’s Park? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck…

The only redeeming parts of the movie were the sandworm effects (which take up, in total, less than a minute of screen time), and the jokes that dealt with the inability to cast the pedo actor as the dad.

I didn’t have the highest expectations, but a little fan service and a couple good jokes with a serviceable plot would have worked fine for me. Instead, I don’t know, I’m kind of offended. Fuck this movie.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2024 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    wow!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Sobering thoughts from Jinsai.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Sheesh. I'm gonna see it either this Saturday or Monday.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well....fuck.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    I mean, it's just my opinion. I honestly hope everyone enjoys it more than I did, because ultimately this should just be an enjoyable summer popcorn movie. That's all it needed to do...

My friend and I that went to it hated it. We both felt the same way. But, at the end of the movie, there was a good handful of people who clapped (this was a preview screening though). Also, a friend of mine on FB seems to have liked it a lot, and while I don't get on board with her reasons for defending it, it isn't landing with such a thud for other people. Maybe it's just that I have such a fond attachment to the original movie, even if I really tried as hard as I could to not bring that into the evaluation here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wow....now I'm worried. I'm going to see it on Saturday, and I've been looking forward to it since it got positive reviews.

The trailers didn't do much for me, but this was one of few movies we had on VHS when I was a kid, and I watched a lot of the cartoon too, which I liked back then.

Here's hoping I feel differently than you do about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it last night. I liked it despite the various subplots from all the characters and a few repetitive scenes from the original. I agree with Jinsai about Willem Dafoe. He really served no purpose other than a bad attempt at comic relief. I'm seeing it again tomorrow night with my mama so maybe my opinion will change with the second viewing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How was Elfman’s score? It doesn’t appear to be available anywhere, which seems… odd.

I’m seeing it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. Once it got going it was very funny and immersive, it made me want Halloween to come already.

Sure not all the plot points and things hit, but still definitely lots to enjoy about it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Beetlejuice

Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. Once it got going it was very funny and immersive, it made me want Halloween to come already.

Sure not all the plot points and things hit, but still definitely lots to enjoy about it.
    My wife and I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. Totally agree about the subplots, and I definitely could have used more Elfman score and less soundtrack, but overall, I thought it was a fun throwback. And yes, it totally put me in the mood for Halloween, too. I decorated the inside of our house (which is kind of always Halloween to a degree) a few weeks ago, but I think I'm going to do the outside tomorrow or next weekend. One of my neighbors set up their graveyard yesterday, so I think I'm in the clear to be the "first follower."
    Last edited by caca; 09-07-2024 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I just got home, absolutely loved it. I had so, so much fun. Eight year old me left very happy.

True enough about Dafoe's character though, he didn't really work, unfortunately. I see what they were aiming for, but he didn't ham it up enough and it kind of fell flat.

But there was so much fun in the movie, and seeing the evolution of Delia and Lydia's relationship was wonderful. I absolutely loved that.

Anyways, as Dostoevsky said.....

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Had a blast watching it. My expectations were as low as they could get so maybe that helped. Found myself thinking several times throughout "this is so bizarre to be watching a Tim Burton film that actually feels like his 90s output".

It was FAR from perfect, but for what it was, it was great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. The first one is better, but this was a solid 3/4.

I thought that it was a little overstuffed. I really liked the dead boy storyline and think that it would have been a stronger film had that been the main narrative. Still, a decent sequel.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-08-2024 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Well, I’m glad everyone seems to be liking it more than I did. Honestly kind of jealous.