Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you'd hope that the effects would be easier this time because they're already built so there's less big-lift necessary there.

can't wait, loved the first one.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    can't wait, loved the first one.
    You'll wait 16 months and you'll like it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You should all watch the above video with the subtitles on. It's hilarious! The "Haw Conan". The Haw Conan are bad, m'kay?

Now where is my trailer?

Oh and I want Dune Messiah too. Because... well, because I want it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Double post, sorry.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

My butt's in the seat regardless of the trailer so I think I'm going to just not watch anything until November.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Irulan! Feyd!

Florence Pugh is going to be so great as Irulan. And I'm glad we won't be seeing Elvis when looking at Feyd. That would have been... bad.

There is one key character that we haven't heard about though. Maybe we'll be surprised by the trailer tomorrow? Can't wait!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh right, the Emperor.

Walk without rhythm and it won't attract the worm

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy actual shit am I juiced for this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Interesting that the scene where Feyd presumably fights the slave gladiator is in black & white. Is it going to be presented as a retelling by Lady Fenring I wonder? I don't think it's going to be a stylistic choice just for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Irulan! Feyd!

Florence Pugh is going to be so great as Irulan. And I'm glad we won't be seeing Elvis when looking at Feyd. That would have been... bad.

There is one key character that we haven't heard about though. Maybe we'll be surprised by the trailer tomorrow? Can't wait!
    HF? maybe maybe maybe Or Alia?
    Last edited by erre; 05-03-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Holy actual shit am I juiced for this.

"What you'll summon for your test is a wild maker, an old man of the desert. You must have proper respect for such a one."

And it's going to be GLORIOUS.

Quote Originally Posted by erre View Post
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by erre View Post
    Or Alia?
    BINGO. Alia of the Knife. The Abomination. Where is my favorite little girl?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Was “Long live the fighters!” in the book, I wonder? It’s basically a meme at this point from the Lynch adaptation, but I don’t recall it from the book… Not fussed at all, rather just curious.

The trailer looks incredible, and the battle scene(s) at the end of the film will be IMMENSE. And please, please, pleeeeeease could we get an adaptation of “Messiah” with this cast…

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Was “Long live the fighters!” in the book, I wonder?
    The line exists, just not shouted by Paul apparently. Here is the passage: "Beside Paul, Stilgar stirred, looked at him questioningly. "Will I subtract from our strength when we need it most?" Paul asked. "I am your ruler, and I say to you that it is time we stopped killing off our best men and started killing our real enemies -- the Harkonnens!" In one blurred motion, Stilgar had his crysknife out and pointed over the heads of the throng. "Long live Duke Paul-Muad'Dib!" he shouted. A deafening roar filled the cavern, echoed and re-echoed. They were cheering and chanting: "Ya hya chouhada! Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib! Ya hya chouhada!" Jessica translated it to herself: "Long live the fighters of Muad'Dib!"

And please, please, pleeeeeease could we get an adaptation of “Messiah” with this cast…
    It really would be such a shame if Villeneuve doesn't do Messiah as well. The way this adaptation has been received, and Part II seems to be set to surpass Part I, I really don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    The line exists, just not shouted by Paul apparently. Here is the passage: "Beside Paul, Stilgar stirred, looked at him questioningly. "Will I subtract from our strength when we need it most?" Paul asked. "I am your ruler, and I say to you that it is time we stopped killing off our best men and started killing our real enemies -- the Harkonnens!" In one blurred motion, Stilgar had his crysknife out and pointed over the heads of the throng. "Long live Duke Paul-Muad'Dib!" he shouted. A deafening roar filled the cavern, echoed and re-echoed. They were cheering and chanting: "Ya hya chouhada! Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib! Ya hya chouhada!" Jessica translated it to herself: "Long live the fighters of Muad'Dib!"

Thank you! It’s a great moment in the Lynch adaptation, and nice to see it utilised here, too.

It really would be such a shame if Villeneuve doesn't do Messiah as well. The way this adaptation has been received, and Part II seems to be set to surpass Part I, I really don't see why they wouldn't do it.
    I hope you’re right, truly. It all comes down to $, though; if this new one makes money, the opportunity will be there. Beyond Messiah, I know that Villeneuve was concerned about how much of his life the series might take; it would be well over 5, 6 years at that point. In my (selfish) perfect world, he dedicates the rest of his life to adapting the entire canon, but at best I reckon we may get Children. God Emperor may be a bridge too far.

Oh, and the series is still something of a curio, too. Looking forward to that…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting that the scene where Feyd presumably fights the slave gladiator is in black & white. Is it going to be presented as a retelling by Lady Fenring I wonder? I don't think it's going to be a stylistic choice just for the sake of it.
    It looks like the scene was shot using near-infrared cameras, which you cannot properly translate to visible colors without it looking very odd. As black-and-white footage, it looks familiar enough but slightly eerie (eyes are darker than usual, skin radiates slightly).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Villeneuve has already said in an interview that he would love to do Messiah. So I‘d say it is likely to happen if part two doesn‘t flop. It might not happen immediately though, since there have been news about Villeneuve doing a Cleopatra movie and an adaptation of Rendezvous with Rama next. But given the time that passes between Dune and Messiah, this could work very well if the actors stay on board.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Thank you! It’s a great moment in the Lynch adaptation, and nice to see it utilised here, too.

I hope you’re right, truly. It all comes down to $, though; if this new one makes money, the opportunity will be there. Beyond Messiah, I know that Villeneuve was concerned about how much of his life the series might take; it would be well over 5, 6 years at that point. In my (selfish) perfect world, he dedicates the rest of his life to adapting the entire canon, but at best I reckon we may get Children. God Emperor may be a bridge too far.

Oh, and the series is still something of a curio, too. Looking forward to that…
    It would be very nice to get both Messiah and Children of Dune, especially since Children has some of the original cast of characters as well.

Those who said Dune was impossible to adapt obviously haven't read God Emperor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Those who said Dune was impossible to adapt obviously haven't read God Emperor.
    Absolutely! I’ve often pondered how this could even be approached. Limited series (5 or 6 hours?)? Interspersed flashbacks during an adaptation of Heretics? One long movie that would kill the financial longevity of the series as a whole, lol?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Absolutely! I’ve often pondered how this could even be approached. Limited series (5 or 6 hours?)? Interspersed flashbacks during an adaptation of Heretics? One long movie that would kill the financial longevity of the series as a whole, lol?
    I think I would go with an Irulan style prelude to Heretics. Explain how the God Emperor's ruling changed the Universe and maybe what he sought to accomplish with his Golden Path? Plot wise, there isn't much happening in God Emperor. I haven't read it in a few years now but I've always remembered it as being (ultimately) how Leto II sacrificed his own humanity to save the Universe; how he was able to do what Paul couldn't and what it cost him (Leto II).

And I mean... Star Wars already did Jabba? Rolf!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Past Messiah, I really fail to see how one would make any further Dune story compelling. I have no idea how good God Emperor felt back when it was published, but today ? Yeesh, narratively, there is nothing happening... It's Ultimate Dune, TL : DR dialogue, Thoughts & Ponderings, and indeed featuring Jabba The Marty Stu. It also does what infuriates me about Star Wars, the ever-returning impossibly immortal beloved character.

I love Dune. I adore Dune. It's my "novel on an island" book. I read it yearly religiously. But it's incredibly dated, in terms of narrative codes. Sci-Fi back then was big on world building and "what if" stories, not so much interested in characters, character arcs, or even actually telling a story... I mean, even in Dune itself, all in all there's not much happening. It's not happening with brio, but still...

And with every volume Herbert feels less concerned about actual characters, as long as they parrot his internal back-and-forth. It's fascinating, seeing how this intricate world evolves, and watching Herbert push his characters' decisions to their most extreme consequences. But cinema needs to have something to show... God Emperor almost feels like it would be an odd SF parody of French New Wave cinema, where Leto, smoking spice on his balcony, looks down on the city, pondering about pigeons and being very bored...
    Last edited by Khrz; 05-10-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

the artists has a poster that can be found here. It's slightly different, this one is from his tumblr apparently.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^^
    Love it!

This is the cover of the first edition of God Emperor of Dune.

Yeah, doesn't look at all like a giant penis with a face. Nope.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't wait.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Great trailer. Wow that scene with the worm erupting from the sand out of focus in the background...My only minor gripe is that I see too much angry face from Zendaya, like way too obvious. I always understood Chani as much more of a composed thinker type, not so prone to flashing emotion like that. Hopefully this is just the trailer focusing on gripping reaction shots. And apparently they are introducing a subplot with Chani resisting the messianic aspect of Paul and Jessica which I guess is a way to vocalize more the whole manipulating aspect of the prophecy, curious to see how this will play out.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 06-30-2023 at 04:38 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck.

March 15, 2024