Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't read the books yet, but I'd like to start it when I'll see the trailer. I've done the same with Blade Runner and fell in love with it- it's one my favorites. Denis is truly remarkable in creating movies and I believe Dune will be no different. I hope it comes out this year... Definitely going day one!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJackson89 View Post
    I haven't read the books yet, but I'd like to start it when I'll see the trailer. I've done the same with Blade Runner and fell in love with it- it's one my favorites. Denis is truly remarkable in creating movies and I believe Dune will be no different. I hope it comes out this year... Definitely going day one!
    It's still set to come out on its original release date in December. I'm thinking that how the release of Tenet goes will have an impact on that. That being said, since you're not familiar at all with the story, the trailer should give you an idea of what's it about. Reading the book for the first time can be challenging, because Herbert created a whole world that we are not familiar with. The first time I read Dune, I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the lexicon. It's a lot like reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time.

But if you stick with it, it becomes an addiction and before you know it, you have devoured the whole series. And then you start over again.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    But if you stick with it, it becomes an addiction and before you know it, you have devoured the whole series. And then you start over again.
    Yeah, I definitely think that the second reading of Dune, when you are generally familiar with all the concepts, characters and terminology, allows for extra layers of enjoyment. You can absorb more details and nuances in the story and world building.