Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1973

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I got super baked and listened to NTAE>AV on good headphones the other night. The experience was enlightening until the end of TBW.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    My first listen was with my best headphones laying on the deck at night, accompanied by a bowl of the good stuff. Other than "Less Than" it was all new to me, and man oh man, I was it an experience. It was so much better than I expected, it took me back to the first times I listened to The Downward Spiral and Year Zero in high school. I was laughing and crying out of pure stoned euphoria.

Then we got to the end of "The Background World", and I had a mild anxiety attack. It was spoiled for me that the last several minutes of the song would involve a loop, and in hindsight I'm glad it was because at that level of high, I probably would've had a full on panic attack thinking I was losing my mind with those loops.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just joined the forums to say how I love this band and Reznor to my guts.
    I ignored NIN until last year, I feel so freaking stupid. What music! Man!
    It all started when I switched over a TV channel and Beside You In Time was being broadcast.
    I thought to myself, my God... this is a fucking show... this is actually everything different and mind blowing than anything I've seen...

I look forward to the CDs of Add Violence and also... hoping that there will be a Not The Actual Events CD...
    Reznor has to understand I have no turntable... I want CD!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone else ( @seasonsinthesky ) hope that on the vinyl, that closing loop is a vinyl loop

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Anyone else ( @seasonsinthesky ) hope that on the vinyl, that closing loop is a vinyl loop
    Yeah, if it's not a locked groove I'm going to be a little bit disappointed.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I listened to the EP outside of home for the first time today (without full attention on the album and lots of external stimuli)... the album holds up completely. I couldn't help moving with the beats and getting all pumped up at certain parts. I have wished for a NIN release to be this incredible for many years. Love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Yo! Jack White ... where you at? Call our boy Trent and make some crazy vinyl shit happen!

It's fairly apparent that TBW is the main hold up on the vinyl pre-order. If it was just pressing times being backed up, he would still do a pre-order and put a tentative release date. Or I could be completely wrong.
    I wonder if they could do something similar to what they did for that one song on Lazeretto where it would randomly play either an acoustic or electric intro. Wonder if they could basically do a locked groove that has 52 different versions it slips back onto
    Last edited by EvilGobi; 07-22-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: meee spel gud

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    I wonder if they could do something similar to what they did for that one song on Lazeretto where it would randomly play either an acoustic or electric intro. Wonder if they could basically do a locked groove that has 52 different versions it slips back onto
    The ol' Monty Python gag

Of the vinyl magickery that could be done for ARG and surprise shit, the holograms and locked grooves that hide a track are the ones I like, those fucking double grooved records are so cool until you just want to hear a particular version

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The ol' Monty Python gag

Of the vinyl magickery that could be done for ARG and surprise shit, the holograms and locked grooves that hide a track are the ones I like, those fucking double grooved records are so cool until you just want to hear a particular version
    Pretty much. I could never get the fucking holograms to work though. That record had some cool shit going on but I fell asleep on the couch playing once, and that fucking locked groove scared the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Man, this EP is really hitting me hard right now. I'm not in a super great place and all of these songs are just resonating at a pretty uncomfortable frequency.

I also think these are some of the best lyrics Trent has ever written, particularly The Lovers and The Background World.
    '''
    Yeah... just... yeah. I kind of just want to wrap myself up with the songs like a blanket and just... not.... for a while. Lol I like it better with my head in the album right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Man, this EP is really hitting me hard right now. I'm not in a super great place and all of these songs are just resonating at a pretty uncomfortable frequency.
    Fair warning: This EP will definitely not help alleviate any negative feelings you might be experiencing.

If you want to get back to the bottom, The Background World is a good way to get there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Addictive EP. Covers so much ground very efficiently. Can’t stop listening. Haunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My favorite track has to be Not Anymore. This track is so creepy and intense. That bridge leading to the outro is fantastic. A close second is The Background World. I'm totally hooked into this EP now that I've let it sink in a little more...hooks appreciate some encouragement.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've heard it a few more times and... man, it's fucking good. I'm going to listen to it more times to get a full consensus on where to rank it w/ the rest of the NIN albums/EPs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've never been able to name my favorite NIN song.

They've been my favorite band for over ten years now, and I've never obsessed over any artist as much as I've obsessed over Trent. In fact, I'd probably even say my music taste almost radiates out of my affinity for NIN. They're the central node in this big, varied group of artists that I now love. But I've never been able to pick one NIN song that stands out as the best, or most important to me. With Smashing Pumpkins, a band I like to a similar, but not equal, degree, I don't even have to think about it. It's Mayonaise. Radiohead? Reckoner. Tool? Third Eye. Manson? Coma Black. It's not even a question.

It's just too hard to pick for NIN, though. I have favorites, obviously, but a song like "Last" is so different from "Right Where it Belongs" that it seems silly to compare them. And a lot of the songs mean so much to me that it almost feels like picking a favorite child.

But holy shit-- I think "This Isn't the Place" might actually be my favorite NIN song. I can't remember the last time I was so utterly in love with a track. The whole song feels like this amazing journey, somehow both sprawling and concise. And Trent's vocals are perfect.

And what's weird is that I thought it was pretty boring the first time I heard it....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is that a little homage to "Heresy" that I'm hearing near the end of "Not Anymore"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The other day, I said this:

Quote Originally Posted by perterje View Post
    After 4-5 listens "Not Anymore" feels like a bad cup of coffee, and I don't even like coffee. This may end up being a good thing, but it's too soon to tell.
    This bad cup of coffee has now grown on me. Not because it's become a good cup, but because at that point in the EP this bad cup and what it makes me feel is exactly right. It's not meant to be comfortable or sonically pleasing, but appropriate for the anxiety and hopelessness of the song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    the e.p. is great, the only thing i don't like is "less than".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A few listens in, and I'm still really not sure what to make of this thing. On the whole, it's probably the most challenging listen Trent's released, for better or worse. Up to this point, it just doesn't feel like a cohesive collection of songs to me. It feels like a compilation of 5 disparate recordings, all of which have their strengths. I will say, I dig all the songs, but I friggin' LOVE "This Isn't The Place." The first 4 minutes of The Background World are pretty great, and I'm glad to have listened to the 7 minutes of destruction a couple of times, but it doesn't seem necessary to deal with that on every listen. I foresee myself skipping the extended ending of that song on a regular basis, and only listening to it in full on occasion. Overall, this does feel like a 'Part 2,' so I'm kind of up in the air as to how this will all be tied together when 'Part 3' is released.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Is that a little homage to "Heresy" that I'm hearing near the end of "Not Anymore"?
    Nah, it's just a bass synth arpeggio.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprettynow View Post
    the e.p. is great, the only thing i don't like is "less than".
    as a stand alone, yeah, but in the context of this ep together with the rest of the songs, this song has his place. positive is the noisy aggressive part in it.
    this ep gives my a good/great feeling overall.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Dear lord, I have heard strange things in my life...
    But this song The Background World and this locked loop is mind blowing...
    I don't think I ever ran into anything like this, 7 fucking minutes of a constant symphony...
    The strangest thing is when it gets out of the TEMPO, but then at a certain point, it returns almost to its position to the TEMPO, as the distortion gets worse.
    Fucking brilliant!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I was so engrossed with "The Background World," that I didn't get enough time to appreciate the other tracks. "The Lovers" is fucking haunting. I also love the way "Not Anymore" ends so damn abruptly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The more and more i listen to the whole EP and am able to incorporate Less Than rather than hearing it in a standalone context, wow. What an incredible 5 songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm starting to feel like AV is a response to / different voice of NTAE.

I don't want to say like I know anything or I am even sure of anything. But I can definitely see where that sentiment comes from!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Found this cool photo of an Add Violence billboard posted on the Capitol Record's Instagram. So I assume it's in LA. Click image for link.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Add Violence has some of the most unsettling sounds I've heard on a NIN record in a long time. The name Add Violence is not just a title, he made the music sound violent as shit. I imagine Jason Vorhees slashing up his victims during Not Anymore.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-24-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quick question for anyone who has the official download of AV. I'm playing the Spotify version at the mo due to funds, and it might just be my phone but it's cutting off the last 25 seconds (approx) of each song. Doesn't matter if I play it in order, save it for offline, anything. Less Than plays through to the last second fine, but the others don't. You don't notice it on The Lovers as there seems to be a period of silence, but I'm losing the end of the other tracks.

Anyone else having this issue?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingFocus View Post
    Quick question for anyone who has the official download of AV. I'm playing the Spotify version at the mo due to funds, and it might just be my phone but it's cutting off the last 25 seconds (approx) of each song. Doesn't matter if I play it in order, save it for offline, anything. Less Than plays through to the last second fine, but the others don't. You don't notice it on The Lovers as there seems to be a period of silence, but I'm losing the end of the other tracks.

Anyone else having this issue?
    I had different issues with getting the official download on my phone. For some reason my preferred program always stopped halfway through TBW (paid full version of the app) but the download was fine. I used a different app and the song files are all fine. That app has a very brief half second pause between songs that really bugs me but it's the app not the files. So I've been listening on Apple Music and no problems.

So in short it's either you or just Spotify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I had different issues with getting the official download on my phone. For some reason my preferred program always stopped halfway through TBW (paid full version of the app) but the download was fine. I used a different app and the song files are all fine. That app has a very brief half second pause between songs that really bugs me but it's the app not the files. So I've been listening on Apple Music and no problems.

So in short it's either you or just Spotify.
    Ok cheers thanks. I'll try to fire up an old laptop and see if Spotify plays fine on there.

So on your version is the a along gap at the end of Lovers? Like a silence?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Add Violence has some of the most unsettling sounds I've heard on a NIN record in a long time. The name Add Violence is not just a title, he made the music sound violent as shit. I imagine Jason Vorhees slashing up his victims during Not Anymore.
    Freaking love "Not Anymore". I think i described it as pure confident energy a while back in the thread when i wrote down my short view on the songs.