Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    on episode 6 now. there's still things I don't have any idea what's going on, but a lot of it is falling in place. I like it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    on episode 6 now. there's still things I don't have any idea what's going on, but a lot of it is falling in place. I like it.
    if you have time before you watch more episodes, listen to some of the podcasts Damon did. Things get fleshed out better. Here's the podcast for episodes 1-3:

And here's the podcast for episodes 4-6:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    thanks!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I think I may have chimed in on this earlier in the thread but I also highly recommend the comic. When the series started I hadn't seen the movie and only knew the basic gist of the comic story. IMO, reading the comic will connect dots better than anything else, even more than the Damon podcast...and the podcast eps are very good. The paperback is $15 from Amazon...you won't regret it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just added the comics to my wish list

edit: already ordered it (along with some Batman books)
    Last edited by versusreality; 06-11-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Just added the comics to my wish list

edit: already ordered it (along with some Batman books)
    Nice. There are a lot of clever references to the comics that add to the thoughtfulness and depth of the show.
    Last edited by cdm; 06-12-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    finished the series. thought it ended perfectly. the series is so timely for what's going on right now that it's actually scary.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    finished the series. thought it ended perfectly. the series is so timely for what's going on right now that it's actually scary.
    Now watch the movie if you haven’t. It’s different, but still very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There are three different versions of the movie: Theatrical release, Director's Cut, and the Ultimate Cut. Which one does everyone recommend, and why?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Director's Cut has alot more content in it, and it's mostly stuff that is directly from the comics. So if you're trying to keep as close to the comic without have to read the whole series (which will take you a good while...these are not 9 minute issues), it's better than nothing. The tone is off a bit, but the events are pretty comic book accurate.

But you should really just read the comic. It's one of the greatest comics ever written and one of the best pieces if literary art ever as well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The ultimate cut is the one with the most stuff in it. For example, it included an Anime like sequence voiced by Gerard Butler that adds another layer to one of the superheroes story. I'd recommend that.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    There are three different versions of the movie: Theatrical release, Director's Cut, and the Ultimate Cut. Which one does everyone recommend, and why?
    The book.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The book.
    i was gonna make that joke but i didn't want to be that person, so thank you for doing it for me

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I’m all in on the graphic novel and the hbo series. Those two are my canon and I ignore the movie or prequels.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The book.
    I walked into that one didn't I.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The book came today...couldn't put it down. Read the first two issues and I'm hooked. So much world building and depth, done so seamlessly. I can't wait to see where this goes! I've never been hooked on a book like this in quite some time. It's also the first time I've bought a graphic novel since I was a kid in...geez..maybe the early 2000's? late 90's? It's great to be back. (a couple Batman books came today too) . I now want to get more of Alan Moore's work...V for Vendetta will be in my next order (never saw the movie) , and I think I'll go with Swamp Thing too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    FWIW, Zack Snyder prefers the Director's Cut. The Ultimate Cut includes the motion comic, which is cool if you want a deeper dive into the source material, but it also disrupts the pacing of the movie considerably.

But as Justice League taught us and will teach us again next year, every cut of a Zack Snyder movie is still a Zack Snyder movie.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The book came today...couldn't put it down. Read the first two issues and I'm hooked. So much world building and depth, done so seamlessly. I can't wait to see where this goes! I've never been hooked on a book like this in quite some time. It's also the first time I've bought a graphic novel since I was a kid in...geez..maybe the early 2000's? late 90's? It's great to be back. (a couple Batman books came today too) . I now want to get more of Alan Moore's work...V for Vendetta will be in my next order (never saw the movie) , and I think I'll go with Swamp Thing too.
    Welcome to the wormhole...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Wait till you get towards the end. It's a doozy.

V For Vendetta is a mess. It's not bad, but it's a mess and you prolly won't enjoy it much the first time around. Gets better with multiple reads.

His Swamp Thing run is amazing. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is really good early on too.

And Moore also wrote arguably the best Superman story ever. You should track that down too. Just two, standalone issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superm...of_Tomorrow%3F

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    awesome, thanks for the recommendations. how about From Hell?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I didn't even know Watchmen was a thing until 2006 when it kept coming up in online conversation around the Spoiler: television show Heroes. Now that's an actual spoiler for the comic book so do not highlight it. Don't even go near it with your mouse.

Anyway, in that discussion it kept coming up and if you know both properties you know why. Anyway so I had this comic book that everyone was hailing as a masterpiece (rightly so) spoiled for me because no one could stop talking about it. So I read the book and yeah it's fucking good but I wasn't able to have that experience. Looking back it's not that big of a deal really. I mean yeah it's a plot point but hardly the actual point of the book but it's easy to think that initially.

So having read it for the first time in 2006 and then the movie comes out in 2009? That was pretty cool.

We lived in a rural area that took 45 minutes to get to the closest city (and library) so there are a lot of touchstones from my generation's youth that I don't have at all, or got to too late. Books, movies, music, television...the area didn't get cable until after I graduated from high school.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    What do you mean the first two issues? The version of the book I have is just a paperback version I picked up in 2007ish but it’s not separated into issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    What do you mean the first two issues? The version of the book I have is just a paperback version I picked up in 2007ish but it’s not separated into issues.
    The current edition (2019) is split up into chapters, each chapter was an issue of the original comic. Between each chapter are supplemental materials, which vary and typically relate back to the previous chapter. For instance, the materials after chapters 1 and 2 are "excerpts" from Under The Hood. Also included is a foreword by Dave Gibbons (dated 2003) and an appendix called Glimpses, which is a nice collection of sketches, layout work.

https://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-2019...s=books&sr=1-3
    Last edited by cdm; 06-17-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    The current edition (2019) is split up into chapters, each chapter was an issue of the original comic. Between each chapter are supplemental materials, which vary and typically relate back to the previous chapter. For instance, the materials after chapters 1 and 2 are "excerpts" for Under The Hood. Also included is a foreword by Dave Gibbons (dated 2003) and an appendix called Glimpses, which is a nice collection of sketches, layout work.

https://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-2019...s=books&sr=1-3
    And this supplemental material is what inspired the liner notes of the TR/AR records and the Peteypedia.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    I guess he means the first two chapters then

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    awesome, thanks for the recommendations. how about From Hell?
    "From Hell" is great, but i would recommend it when you are already deep on Alan Moore, it's one of it's biggest works and it needs time and patience

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I haven't made time for this, nor do I have HBO, but this is great.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I haven't made time for this, nor do I have HBO, but this is great.
    You don't need HBO to watch it this weekend - that's the point.

I plowed through this series just before George Floyd was murdered, and I had a pretty hard time getting through it. Lot of deeply disturbing scenes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, I know. That's why I thought it was great. Prior to this I haven't been able to watch it.