Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Oh man, Bad Witch is so much in a small amount of time. Lots to digest, the sound is so different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Over and Out is so beautiful. The synth fading out at the end is gorgeous. I wasn't sure if The Background World could be topped, but this song comes damn close. It has such a surreal, dreamlike feel to it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Has anybody coined the term Industrial Jazz yet?
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Have to listen a few more times to wrap my head around this.
    Favorite Track (Thus Far): INFTW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I find my self appreciating GBDTD a lot more when I listen to the LP in order. Very cool LP.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) - Album has leaked, SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Beautiful, just beautiful....
    Indeed mentioned before.
    Piggy opened that era

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'I'm Not From This World' could have made the cut for Quake 1. Cool track, I love atmospheric/ambient music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally caved and listened. I’d say it’s pretty damn good but suffers from its short length. It needs like 2 more tracks or so to feel complete.

Shit Mirror is a great rocker, wish Trent’s voice was just like 20% less obscured but it’s a nice opener.

Ahead of Ourselves is fucking awesome, a killer tune. That noisy chorus is bone crushing in the best way.

Play the Goddamn Part is a great jazz industrial jam, i just wish it had a stronger climax or something. it kinda fizzles out when it should explode.

God Break Down the Door is the freshest NIN in years and probably ultimately my favorite track here. It’s a fucking beast in context of the album.

I’m Not From This World is a cool eerie instrumental but feels long winded and overall unnessacary. May listen to this one more to see if it grows on me.

Over and Out is incredible. Easily my second fav track here after GBDTD. Awesome groove and who knew Trent could sing like that? whoa.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Starting to think bringing Atticus in as an official member was one of the smartest things Trent has done. Maybe it gave him a kick in the ass after the NIN by numbers Slip/Hesitation Marks stuff...These 3 EPs are some of the most aggressive and sonically adventurous stuff he has done since Fragile era...Atticus did that awesome digital hardcore Error EP with Greg Puciato back in the day. I gotta think he has been an influence on Trent to push boundaries again

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Starting to think bringing Atticus in as an official member was one of the smartest things Trent has done. Maybe it gave him a kick in the ass after the NIN by numbers Slip/Hesitation Marks stuff...These 3 EPs are some of the most aggressive and sonically adventurous stuff he has done since Fragile era...Atticus did that awesome digital hardcore Error EP with Greg Puciato back in the day. I gotta think he has been an influence on Trent to push boundaries again

Yeah that Error Ep is sick man, wish they had more stuff than just the 4 or 5 songs on there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Have to listen a few more times to wrap my head around this.
    Favorite Track (Thus Far): INFTW

Lol just an hour ago I was searching bandcamp and youtube for "Industrial Jazz"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I absolutely love that Error EP. I think Trent and Atticus need to make their own Error type EP. Something completely abrasive and unsafe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Lol just an hour ago I was searching bandcamp and youtube for "Industrial Jazz"
    Try listening to Perdition City by Ulver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I absolutely love that Error EP. I think Trent and Atticus need to make their own Error type EP. Something completely abrasive and unsafe.
    Bad Witch isn't abrasive and unsafe enough for you?!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yeah that Error Ep is sick man, wish they had more stuff than just the 4 or 5 songs on there.
    I've found one other, "wild world" from the birthday party tribute album. The beat throughout is very nin.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    So, does Pete Murphy sing on Over and out, or not? Or was that a joke?
    I commented downthread (upthread?) that Trent's vocal style reminded me of Peter Murphy. Maybe it was misinterpreted? Or maybe someone else said something...shit gets lost in 20 pages. I'll go back and clarify my post.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    Bad Witch isn't abrasive and unsafe enough for you?!
    In its own way... but I think Trent and Atticus can push it further. Harder, heavier. I wanna hear something like Nothing's Working and Brains Out. Just full on IDM nuttery and noise.

Imagine Underneath It All meets Tetsuo meets The Perfect Drug turned to 11
    Last edited by neorev; 06-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    In its own way... but I think Trent and Atticus can push it further. Harder, heavier. I wanna hear something like Nothing's Working and Brains Out. Just full on IDM nuttery and noise.

Imagine Underneath It All meets Tetsuo meets The Perfect Drug turned to 11
    Sounds like Ahead of Ourselves

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I commented downthread (upthread?) that Trent's vocal style reminded me of Peter Murphy. Maybe it was misinterpreted? Or maybe someone else said something...shit gets lost in 20 pages. I'll go back and clarify my post.
    @simonn - I legit asked that because it really does sound like Peter Murphy. I'm anxiously awaiting liner notes to confirm.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    I've found one other, "wild world" from the birthday party tribute album. The beat throughout is very nin.
    Greg doesnt do vocals on that song though which sucks....He only did the EP and then he bailed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) - Album has leaked, SPOILERS

It sounds to me like TR finally breaking out into some strange Hydra where he has the heads of his favorite collaborators but, who knows. I'm curious to see if there's an actual duet happening if that's what other people are hearing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As much as I like ALL of the soundtracks and Ghosts, the two Bad Witch instrumentals are the ones that haven’t immediately grabbed me…and that’s okay!! I like it when he challenges my ears and I LOVE it when a song eventually “clicks” with me. I wasn’t initially thrilled with Ghosts, but now it is one of my favorite NIN albums and I play it all the time. Still kicking my own ass for not shelling out the bucks for the Ultra-Mega-Super-Deluxe version the day it went on sale!!

Either way, I’m VERY happy with these EP’s!! Thank you, TR/AR!! Please NEVER stop!! Can’t wait for the Irving, TX shows in November!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, so I've finally had some time to digest this album and I think it's pretty damn awesome...my only complaint would be that almost half of it is instrumentals. Over and Out, to me, seems like an instrumental with lyrics added to it. Kinda like This isn't the place. Don't get me wrong, both of those songs are great, i just prefer more vocals than instrumentals. Otherwise, awesome album. Shit Mirror is my favorite song of the whole trilogy, but as far as my favorite EP, I would have to give a slight edge to AV. I would say though that BW is like NTAE and AV had a baby. And just for shits, I ranked all the songs from the trilogy in order of my preference:

Shit mirror
    Less Than
    The Background world
    This isn't the place
    Ahead of Ourselves
    Burning Bright
    God break down the door
    Not anymore
    Branches/bones
    Idea of you
    She's gone away
    Play the goddamned part
    Over and Out
    Dear world
    I'm not from this world
    The Lovers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    Because if one thing is certain, George Lucas would never dream of commercializing his "art". (Insert eye roll emoji)

Anyways, why are we talking about Star Wars? Because this album definitely is not the ROTJ of the trilogy. More like we got 3 straight ESB's.
    That was my fault. I was saying I get excited for NIN releases like some do Star Wars films; where they do that whole 'watch the entire saga in a day thing' which is exactly what I am going to do with the NTAE, AV and BW. Didn't think the comparison would send us down this road, but here we are.

That said, Friday cannot get here soon enough. Watch the darn record show up at like 8 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shit Mirror: I definitely expected Bad Witch to be noisy and dense, but I was still taken aback by that blast of noise to start the album. Someone in this thread said it best when they described this song as one that feels as if it were written during the WT era, but recorded during the Broken/TDS era. It's very easily the most straightforward rocker here, but a lot of cool shit is buried under the noisy, lo-fi production. It felt a little too messy and overwhelming at first listen, but I am completely digging it at this point. The way the guitar comes in during the last rendition of the chorus is fantastic and memorable. Will be very good live. Fits in with NtAE pretty well (not radically different than Branches/Bones, but quite a bit more going on). Not so much in line with AV.

Ahead of Ourselves: Top tier NIN. I heard it for the first time while out on my bike, and I actually had to pull over due to how excited I was. Was shivering all over my body; I had no idea music could still do that to me. The percussion is incredible and propulsive, and the chorus is absolutely crushing. An absolute beast of a track. This might be the first song since TDS (seriously) that demands to be played live, each and every NIN show. It belongs in that unimpeachable space alongside with Head Like a Hole, Wish, March of the Pigs, Closer, Hurt, etc. It felt pretty obvious that Bad Witch was its own entity after hearing this.

Play the Goddamn Part: While this completely works as a standalone track (it has all the depth and nuance to hold one's attention on its own merits), I love thinking about it as an extended intro to God Break Down the Door. The most obvious reasons for that are the sax and the marimba (!) but GBDtD really bursts out of this one. It's like GBDtD is the song that constructs itself from the more free-form style found here. I hear this really demonic, twisted circus spinning inside its guts, with the sax floating over the top, pulling it along. Very, very Lynchian.

God Break Down the Door: An excellent single that, by no surprise, becomes even better in the context of the album. I can't get enough of the outro; "Remove the pain and push it back in" has to be one of my favorite NIN lines ever.

I'm Not From this World: This song is about the conception of Donald Trump. It's the disgusting soundtrack to his parents rutting. Papa Trump shoots his creepy, crawly load and we're all fucked.

Over and Out: I barely even have words for this one. It's the sound of the album slowly uncoiling from its hold on you, finally giving you room to breathe, and eventually releasing you from its grip. Trent delivers incredible vocals after a very sprawling instrumental lead in. The bassline grooves throughout and, at times, I can see stars shimmering against the blackness of everything I just heard. Incredible.

It seems kind of strange to compare such a short album to TDS and TF, but it's the same genius at work in Bad Witch. This 'trilogy' has been a really incredible experience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    @simonn - I legit asked that because it really does sound like Peter Murphy. I'm anxiously awaiting liner notes to confirm.
    Agreed that it does, would be another nice surprise guest appearance

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post

It seems kind of strange to compare such a short album to TDS and TF, but it's the same genius at work in Bad Witch. This 'trilogy' has been a really incredible experience.
    As noisy as Broken is, it doesn't have that "musical noise" quality that the TDS era has, so the 94-97 era (Quake, TPD and Driver Down included) becomes the best reference point for a lot of this, with The Fragile becoming an appropriate reference for its atmospherics. But it still feels new, with 2000s NIN being weaved in among all of it.

This trilogy is definitely the harshest and weirdest NIN album/release series since the TDS remix albums. I really didn't think they were still interested in that side of the catalog for studio work, but they really pulled it off without it feeling like a retread or some kind of sad nostalgia. BW feels like it fulfills the promise of NTAE's "uncompromising" sound.

It's amazing. I've already heard it eight times and it's only been out a day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    While I'm obviously not NIN camp and have no way to confirm or disprove, i'll say that it's really really unlikely. I say that because Peter has been having visa troubles for the last two years trying to get into the US for a residency, which he's had to keep postponing and refunding tickets for. Something to do with him being in Turkey and his visa application being "in process" (i.e. stuck in US administrative hell). I'm not sure Trent is the type to have another vocalist essentially "phone in" a vocal recording for such an important release. This is all purely speculation though.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Listening to the very first occurrence of "Time is running out" repeatedly, I feel pretty safe in saying it's just TR really trying to experiment with different delivery. The first half of the phrase - "Time is", is the only part that really sounds like it could be Peter or Bowie, but "running out" listened to in isolation is plainly Trent. If it's anyone else it's been blended with Trent's voice expertly.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Per Discogs, Ian Astbury (The Cult) and Mariqueen are on Shit Mirror: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...lease/12156667

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Per Discogs, Ian Astbury (The Cult) and Mariqueen are on Shit Mirror: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...lease/12156667
    Really? Huh. Guess i'll have to listen to that one a little closer. Ian has a fairly distinctive voice.