Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Witch LP, out June 22 (thread pt 3) SPOILERS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    When I first heard "Shit Mirror," it sounded so muddied and noisy at first, then began to clear up, and it bothered me. While playing the 3 of these releases in order, I realized the noise at the end of "The Background World" fades into the opening of "Shit Mirror" very well, then the clearing up seems to be intentional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone has posted theirs yet, but the JB Hifi exclusive signed postcard is pretty cool!

https://ptpimg.me/q5t3t3.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Not yet. Probably won't come for another week or so I'm guessing.
    I got an email and SMS yesterday, was delivered lunchtime today.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I caved. I took my dog, and my over-ear headphones, and walked in the dark on a nearby trail listening to Bad Witch as loudly as comfortably possible.

I think I can say that not only is this easily my favorite of the trilogy, but this is probably one of the best NIN releases in the entire catalog for me. I'm gonna listen to the LP ten times tomorrow, and between now and October I'm making it my goal to get tickets to all three nights in Chicago, because if there's a chance to see a single one of these songs from the floor of the Aragon Ballroom, I absolutely have to be there again. Before I retire to bed, a couple thoughts...

- "Shit Mirror" NEEDS to open at least one of the set lists this fall.
    - GBDTD suddenly sounds way, WAY better in context.
    - For one brief second, I also freaked out and thought Peter Murphy was on "Over and Out" - absolutely beautiful.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Imagine how badass Shit Mirror could sound with Ilan Rubin's drumming and Robin's guitar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think you missed his point. This has nothing to do with reaching heights as you claim it to be. You make it like the guy is sitting around listening to an album he hates. The guy just wants an album that moved him and connected with him like The Fragile and The Downward Spiral did. For some reason, those albums connected with him in a certain way and these didn't. You keep using words like "height" and "worthless" like your assigning some sort of numerical value to these releases. It's simply about being moved by a release or not. If a person isn't moved by the art, why be so angry about it? For him, he didn't have the connection to the newer stuff like he did. Apparently you did yet you are the one attacking. You found something in the newer stuff. He didn't. Doesn't make him wrong. Those are his feelings and you can't change a person’s reactions to art. It's like people who think Warhol was a genius while others think he was a joke. Music is art and everyone experiences art differently. Art is a two way street. In art, the artist could change or the person experiencing it could change or both. That connection is gained, lost, gained again, and/or lost forever.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Okay, some thoughts after a couple spins:

-"God Break Down The Door" is definitely the obvious single, even though it's not typical single material.
    -"Shit Mirror" reminds me a bit of a noisier Queens Of The Stone Age track. Maybe it's the hand claps.
    -"I'm Not From This World" is probably my favorite track. Such a journey, and so many awesome sounds!
    -The end of "Over And Out" reminds me a bit of the end of "45:33" by LCD Soundsystem. Trent had mentioned that he and Atticus had gone to see them perform recently, and he's obviously a fan since he had DFA remix The Hand That Feeds, so I'm curious if that might have influenced it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I think I can say that not only is this easily my favorite of the trilogy, but this is probably one of the best NIN releases in the entire catalog for me.
    This. And the trilogy all together is one of their best works, for real.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Okay, some thoughts after a couple spins:

-"God Break Down The Door" is definitely the obvious single, even though it's not typical single material.
    -"Shit Mirror" reminds me a bit of a noisier Queens Of The Stone Age track. Maybe it's the hand claps.
    -"I'm Not From This World" is probably my favorite track. Such a journey, and so many awesome sounds!
    -The end of "Over And Out" reminds me a bit of the end of "45:33" by LCD Soundsystem. Trent had mentioned that he and Atticus had gone to see them perform recently, and he's obviously a fan since he had DFA remix The Hand That Feeds, so I'm curious if that might have influenced it.
    Holy shit you're right about that LCD Soundsystem reference, now that I think about it, I was getting those vibes too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You guys are making it real hard to wait for that LP to arrive in a number of hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just listened to Bad Witch from my download link for the first time and am highly pleased

I didn't think too much of the first 2 EPs but this one truly feels like a new direction for NIN. It's got a great mix of industrial noise and 80s synths. The saxophones and horns in the middle give it a Kid A feel which makes it seem more experimental to me.

There's a lot of variation across all the tracks but it feels like a journey rather than a bunch of tracks put together.

There is little here that reminds me of previous NIN releases which is good for me. Trent does tend to fall back on some similar sounding solos or guitar sounds but thankfully that doesn't really happen here. Another reason it feels like a new direction and sound.

Can't wait to hear the vinyl
    Last edited by jjw001; 06-22-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Received it yesterday, correct vinyl, well-fitting shirt... and cool buttons. That's a five-out-five lucky streak with the NINstore for me, if we don't count that thing with the shirt that did or did not exist at one point.

Still no download link e-mail, though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    And now there's a 'Digital LP' option for those of you don't want vinyl:
    https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...12268637290588
    https://store-uk.nin.com/collections...12234932846703
    WHY BUY FROM NIN.COM? WE'RE OFFERING YOU THE CHOICE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY MP3, LOSSLESS FLAC AND WAV FILES, DIRECT FROM US.
    heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Still no official D/L from UK nin store yet. Anyone esle received their D/L from UK store?
    Email the store. They sent me a copy of the original email, looks like it didn’t come through for some reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    Email the store. They sent me a copy of the original email, looks like it didn’t come through for some reason
    It was the same for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Time to log back on to ets to give my opinion on a new NIN release, then disappear again for however long:

This is easily my favourite of the triptych. I actually think it's my favourite NIN in a while - and I've been pretty fucking pleased with pretty much every release except WT. But I can't remember feeling this excited about new NIN material since YZ. The sound was amazing. Bowie-infused jazzpunk...or something. I loved it. My only criticism is that it wasn't a full length, 14 track album that sounded like this. But I'll take what we got and say thankyou.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    No. Just a TIFF of the cover art.
    What about lyrics? I preordered from iTunes and 4 of the 6 tracks don't have embedded lyrics.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    lol. are the cricket noises in INFTW “Judy” noises from Twin Peaks? Would make the name funnier

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    What about lyrics? I preordered from iTunes and 4 of the 6 tracks don't have embedded lyrics.
    No lyrics and since WAVs don't really do much in the way metadata anyway, I wouldn't know about the embedded ones.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    heh
    People complaining about CDs -> woops just had to wait a few days

People complaining about DLs -> woops just had to wait for the release

Hopefully these people can now enjoy the music fully without worry. And come back here to share their opinion.

I'm Not From This World is remarkably a great pleasure every listen through the record, and every listen has a different mood to it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    First listen

Why did no one tell me NIN had finally made a jazz album, this is amazing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "Play the goddamned part" is obviously about Trent Reznor needing to play the goddamn saxophone parts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Here's my strange review ....

'I'm not from this world'
    ... I love this new track, I love how many elements and sounds there are.

Listening to it makes me feel like I am in a different place, a place which sets the pace for you. The further you go the more you discover. Sometimes you get sidetracked but you always get back to moving at the pace that's been set for you to follow, no matter how distracted or off track you get. It's almost as if a machine is controlling the pace, but it doesn't control everything. By the end of the track the pace fades and then abruptly ends.

'Over and Out'

Gord Downie (a very very very well respected Canadian artist who recently passed away due to cancer) put out an album just before his death. The album was a true story about a native american boy who was placed in a government school and separated from his family.... the boy ran away and tried to find his way back home but died while trying to find his way through the forest.

Anyways... Gord ended the album with a track 'Here, Here, and Here'. This is the final track and it's the track where the boy dies. (Album is titled 'Secret Path' 2017)

When I listen to NIN 'Over and out' it reminds me of 'Here, Here, and Here' because what we have is a person in the final final final stages of death, and then death itself... the final parts of the song is the person dying and fading away.

Trent makes it sound peaceful, like energy waves simply expanding and dancing outwards and away. Fading and disappearing.

I'm 36, married, and I have 4 and 2 year old children... death is becoming something more real for me. I could die at 40, 50, 60... 90. I don't know.
    Last edited by snaapz; 06-22-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Sorry if we already covered this, but I just got to listen to Bad Witch. I recognized Play The Goddamned Part as being one of the songs they were playing at the physical world ticket buying events.
    Which song was the other one? There were 2 playing on a loop, but I was so fuckin out of it by then.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I'm 36, married, and I have 4 and 2 year old children... death is becoming something more real for me. I could die at 40, 50, 60... 90. I don't know.
    I'm 38 with a 3 year old. I think about this everyday.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Sorry if we already covered this, but I just got to listen to Bad Witch. I recognized Play The Goddamned Part as being one of the songs they were playing at the physical world ticket buying events.
    Which song was the other one? There were 2 playing on a loop, but I was so fuckin out of it by then.
    Ahead of Ourselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I'm 38 with a 3 year old. I think about this everyday.
    Just turned 40 with 11.8 and 3 y/o kids. Think about it every freaking hour.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingFocus View Post
    Just turned 40 with 11.8 and 3 y/o kids. Think about it every freaking hour.
    I think we're supposed to go buy a convertible or something.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Ahead of Ourselves is such a fuckin' banger. That chorus ... Trent's vocal effects ... good lord, I love this song.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Anyone else hearing "Are you what is staring back at you?" as the first line of the Shit Mirror chorus?