Thread: Random General Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    So are you telling me I can't keep using "Hey (name),"? NEVER? Come on.

Also, I REFUSE to use commas like that for greetings. Yes, I'm 100% aware of the grammatical explanation (direct addresses need to have the individual's name offset with commas), but I don't care because it looks weird and unnatural to me when it's placed in the greeting like that: "Hi, Ted," ... I hate it! Almost nobody uses it anyway. Even the English Profs here only use it about 34% of the time.
    But business writing is business writing, it’s its own animal with a whole set of protocols. It’s not grammatical, it’s more like MLA citations not being “grammar” but important?

Like, legal pleadings (yes, that’s what they are called LOL) conclude with a “Prayer for Relief,” and a standard prayer is usually like:

“Defendant prays that this suit so wrongfully brought be dismissed at Plaintiff’s costs and for whatever other relief that this court seems just.”

More modern versions are “Defendant requests that this suit be dismissed at Plaintiff’s cost and for other just relief that that court deems applicable.”

Really, legal language is probably THE most formal in so many ways, I can’t even continue without drifting this thread; you spend a minimum of three semesters learning how to do proper Blue Book citations so a Judge doesn’t throw out your suit.

BUT yes you can use “Hey Joe” if it is appropriate in a certain context ... I use “Hey” sometimes with certain contacts with whom I have a pretty close and informal relationship.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Like, legal pleadings (yes, that’s what they are called LOL) conclude with a “Prayer for Relief,” and a standard prayer is usually like:

“Defendant prays that this suit so wrongfully brought be dismissed at Plaintiff’s costs and for whatever other relief that this court seems just.”

More modern versions are “Defendant requests that this suit be dismissed at Plaintiff’s cost and for other just relief that that court deems applicable.”
    Haha, that's amazing.

So basically the judge is God?