Page 124 of 128 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

insane that it was before the election and still he won.

oh shit, this is live:

persona non grata to the Republicans? wow.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-11-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

That’s kind of impressive, like three or four bits with one stone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    2024 starting already.

Justice in the Senate? West Virginia governor 'very interested' in challenging Joe Manchin
    Justice, a former Democrat who notably joined the GOP after making an announcement at a 2017 Trump rally, told "Your World" that Washington, D.C. is a "mess" under the Biden administration and that the way he turned around the Mountain State's economy and budget would serve him well in the Senate.
    Once upon a time the state was very blue, I can only imagine it was the exodus of the young that's driven the state to be the way it is now.

I mean, 2021 and 2014 and 2017 and 2017.

Yeah, I can't imagine what's causing this.
    The steady population decline has been an ongoing challenge for West Virginia. The number of residents has dropped from a peak of just over 2-million in 1950 to 1,782,959 as of July 1, 2021, according to the latest numbers from the U.S. Census.

The drop in population is the result of more deaths than births and people moving out of West Virginia. The state, as well as other parts of Appalachia, has been drained by the Hillbilly Highway, the name given to the emigration of people from rural areas to more industrialized regions.

The result has been a “brain drain” of young people, a negative impact on the tax base, a dearth of new ideas, and a diminished labor force. West Virginia’s workforce participation rate is just 54.2 percent, second lowest in the country after Mississippi.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    One of those dudes is going to have to pass away before either side replaces their dude aren't they?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    One of those dudes is going to have to pass away before either side replaces their dude aren't they?
    first thing I thought of

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Lol, I mean not the poor woman passing out, but just as a launch of a campaign in general... what a momentum and first impression!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Lol, I mean not the poor woman passing out, but just as a launch of a campaign in general... what a momentum and first impression!

Get ready to say President Rollan Roberts!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Definitely shows he's a man of action. damn near takes an eye out with how fast he stands there doing nothing for several seconds.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I thought Biden gave a very good SOTU.

The Republican response was pretty awful--a bunch of random buzz words--"woke mob" "China," etc., thrown together.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    IRS are going to start taxing waiters/waitresses tips. Absolutely disgusting. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-int...orting-program

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I have no idea who this guy is and it's LOL funny that it's been a full 2 weeks since this happened...yet I never saw this go viral.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    IRS are going to start taxing waiters/waitresses tips. Absolutely disgusting. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-int...orting-program
    Tips are taxable income and any tips submitted through a POS system (ie: tips you leave on your credit card as part of your dinner bill) are reported. This is not new policy, just a different, voluntary program to report said tips. I'm not a fan of current food service wages, workers should be paid a living hourly wage, but these tips are taxed currently.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Tips are taxable income and any tips submitted through a POS system (ie: tips you leave on your credit card as part of your dinner bill) are reported. This is not new policy, just a different, voluntary program to report said tips. I'm not a fan of current food service wages, workers should be paid a living hourly wage, but these tips are taxed currently.
    Tips paid through cards, yes, but physical cash? Absolutely not. I have never met a waitress nor server who has ever reported their tips for taxes. Tipping from card has not been a thing for as long as physical cash. I live in North Carolina. Why is this a foreign concept to my state then?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tips paid through cards, yes, but physical cash? Absolutely not. I have never met a waitress nor server who has ever reported their tips for taxes. Tipping from card has not been a thing for as long as physical cash. I live in North Carolina. Why is this a foreign concept to my state then?
    It's my understanding any worker earning more than $20 /month in tips, cash or otherwise, is required to report those tips as income, according to the IRS. That's the law. Do people do that? Apparently not, but they're supposed to. The proposed system is meant to replace several other systems already in use. Whether or not this new system will make it harder to dodge taxes on cash tips...I dunno...but factually, tips are taxable income.
    Last edited by cdm; 02-08-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    But, they've always been taxable....

By law, cash tips are required to be reported and are taxed as income. Enforcement of that varies from country to country though. In some places, it's not enforced, in some places audits are conducted, and in other places industry averages are added by the tax authority and taxes are charged on them.

This is kind of a nothing-burger.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I concede, but I've asked family members, and my father whose a hardcore liberal didn't even know. Everyone seems to assume they're considered as "gifts" and gifts aren't taxable until after $15,000, if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I thought this was one of the most powerful moments from the SOTU:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    "hardcore liberal"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I mean, he is. What else can you call a man who hyperventilates when he finds out his son registered as an independent one year, or wants to throw fists with anyone who doesn't agree with everything thing he says? My mother doesn't even have want to talk politics with him, and she is also liberal.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I thought this was one of the most powerful moments from the SOTU:
    To a lot of Black families, mentioning The Talk was noteworthy. Black people talk about The Talk constantly but to have it mentioned during SOTU is a big deal. Of course he had to go on about "the vast majority of cops..." blah blah but I digress.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nikki Haley is running for president, yay.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Nikki Haley is running for president, yay.
    God help us. I worked for a major aerospace concern that bought her lock, stock & barrel. Sold out her state to get a factory there & when she went out of office she magically was named to the board of directors. Then when the going got tough she bailed out so fast heads were spinning. She seems like a real idiot.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Trump is going to eat some of these people alive and I hope it's going to be fun to watch.

edit: lots of comments about how it's a campaign for VP. That'd be just as much fun, I think.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-14-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein announces she won't run for Senate in 2024
    Feinstein, 89, will remain in office until her term concludes at the end of next year, she said in a statement. Democratic Reps. Katie Porter and Adam Schiff have already announced they would run for her seat before she officially announced her retirement, and House Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi said she would support Schiff if Feinstein retired.
    dammit Nancy, Katie Porter is way cooler.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i immediately donated to Porter when she announced. Schiff fucking SUCKS. Having a road dog like Porter in the Senate would be a major upgrade. The platform she would have to call out bullshit would get much bigger.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    it's sad that we'll probably never see Porter as president. she rocks. she'd fucking own people during a debate.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Slightly off topic. An oldie but goodie:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    it's sad that we'll probably never see Porter as president. she rocks. she'd fucking own people during a debate.
    as far as actual lefties that are currently serving in either part of congress, she is one of the few that I think could put together a successful presidential run through a Dem primary. She's got true leftie bonafides (Squad adjacent), she's got a proven track record of winning over indepedents as her district is in Orange County and recently was a red seat. She would run circles around many others in a debate (the team she has around her is excellent), and I think her being a heavy set, not super young white woman could play really well w/people that would be scared away by an AOC type/are just racist.