Page 75 of 128 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "Pelosi weighs bringing House back early" asking them to come in sooner than mid-September
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...service-395791

We don't have fucking time. They need to be back in session on Monday. Another month? Are you fucking kidding? Imagine how much more damage Trump will do in that month.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Be wary of viral photos with no details, location, or any other contextual details. While not 100% confirmed, these boxes MAY be stockpiled to be refinished, as the above tweet suggests. Two things can be true: 1. The Trump admin is fucking with USPS in an effort to undermine voting by mail and 2. USPS is removing old busted ass boxes and replacing them with a more "secure" drop mechanism.

I absolutely believe Trump, through Dejoy, is trying to run USPS into the ground and I also believe Republicans are quietly in favor of it for election and budgetary reasons but I'm skeptical of a lot of these random photos being tweeted about with absolutely no context beyond "THEY'RE STEALING MAILBOXES".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    In my town, they put in new mail boxes. I don't know how recent, I just mailed something for the first time in a few years. They just have little slots, not a little "door" to open and put mail in. I was so confused at first, looking for the little handle. Oops. Also, there's no slot on the curb side for drivers to stick mail in. Overall, much more secure.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    In my town, they put in new mail boxes. I don't know how recent, I just mailed something for the first time in a few years. They just have little slots, not a little "door" to open and put mail in. I was so confused at first, looking for the little handle. Oops. Also, there's no slot on the curb side for drivers to stick mail in. Overall, much more secure.
    Yeah, same here. They replaced the boxes about 8-10 months ago. I was surprised and dismayed by the lack of satisfactory thud of the old mechanism swinging shut. I also recall a period of a week(?) where there were no boxes at all after they removed the old ones and before the new ones were installed.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Looks like I might have been fooled by a falsely attributed photo.
    We all get got at some point.

As for the photos themselves, I think it's a roughly equal mix of heightened awareness (Joe sees postal worker removing boxes assuming something nefarious, takes & tweets photo) and purposeful trolling (Bob knowingly tweets unrelated photo of mailboxes with zero context to stir shit).
    Last edited by cdm; 08-17-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    at this point, just don't touch the mail boxes. Don't refurbish them for a few months; something unprecedented is happening, and I don't trust anyone, except Trump here actually, when he says that he's directly attacking the USPS to win an election. He openly admitted that. So, fuck that, everything we can do to stop that.

If we can kick this Louis DeJoy fucker to the curb too while we're at it, all the better.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I keep seeing reports of how his campaign in 2016 - and even now - is basically a bunch of empty offices. so maybe it's not spying so much just trying to figure out wtf is going on over there?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I wish I can do a redo of the last four years too

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I wish I can do a redo of the last four years too
    Just give me this last year back. It's not been great, has it? This last year has really felt like, well, if it has to get WORSE than this to not re-elect the incumbent, what does it take?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    ikr? like what kind of 'losing' will it take for the % who are going to vote for him? And let's be honest, it's probably more than those numbers just because of those who know he's an idiot but won't admit they like the idiot and lie about it to the pollsters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oh... god. Oh my god, we are so fucked.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 08-18-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post

Oh... god. Oh my god, we are so fucked.
    I fell asleep right after Michelle's speech. I thought the video you posted was a joke. oh crap, it's real.

there was a lot of cringe last night. there were some strong moments too. I'm not going to be critical- I hope it gets better each night.

I am VERY disappointed that Andrew Yang got like, one sentence in. unreal. (edit, just saw that Yang will have an actual speech on thursday night, nomination night. awesome)

we need to come out and sucker punch Trump the next few nights.
    Last edited by versusreality; 08-18-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Come on, now, that’s Billy Porter.

(And Stephen Stills from Buffalo Springfield, who wrote the song.)

It's pretty hard to do a "convention" during Covid. The whole thing looked more like a Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon than a convention.

Anyway ...

Last edited by allegro; 08-18-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Admittedly, they probably should have also played the classic version. But Stephen CANNOT SING, anymore. He has hearing issues and he says that affected his singing but whatever, I can personally confirm: Stephen CANNOT SING, anymore. He’s TERRIBLE.

Last edited by allegro; 08-18-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I realized why I cringed while watching that Porter video (I don't mind the song, it was the green screen production that got me) . it reminded me of 90's Public Access stuff I used to watch, and ultimately, reminded me of the Faith No More video "Everything's Ruined" . I guarentee if I hadn't seen that FNM hundreds of times over the years I would have taken the Porter video more seriously lol

they're doing the best they can in these weird times I guess. not knocking it.
    didn't even recognize Stills at first, to be honest, wasn't sure he was still alive.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    they're doing the best they can in these weird times I guess. not knocking it.
    didn't even recognize Stills at first, to be honest, wasn't sure he was still alive.
    Oh yeah Stills is very much alive. Crosby Stills and Nash were still actively touring up until Covid.

My husband and I had seen them several times, until Stills lost his voice, and Nash got more goofy than usual.

The visual effects were totally normal shit you saw every day on TV in the 60s.

See Peter Max.

Last edited by allegro; 08-18-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think the first few mins tonight are better than they were last night. good sign.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I think they should just stop the whole convention thing and win. Michelle's speech is surely the highlight of this, let's just wrap this up and vote already.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Look, in the Olden Days, a LOT of this shit wasn’t even on TV. Nobody cared, there were only 4 TV channels and none of them were gonna pre-empt shows like Gunsmoke for drunk stupid conventioneers in stupid hats.

I really like ALL the non-politician stuff.

The black woman elevator operator nominating Biden.

The retired white guy who’s a former Union President in Michigan nominating Sanders.

YES to ALL these everyday people - especially in the Roll Call, which is how the Roll Call always was but this time even better - over the BORING speeches of politicians.

I GET that they’re trying to ride this Replexit - this temporary exodus of Republicans who refuse to vote for Trump. And I also grok that they ALREADY have the support of black voters because that black vote got Biden the nomination and Biden returned the favor by selecting a black woman VP.

But a convention isn’t where the real work is done. It’s where the work starts. It’s where the official nomination begins.

Now, Biden will receive national security briefings, by law.

And he and Harris will get Secret Service protection.

Tonight will be a cavalcade of high-profile speakers, including Barack Obama and Kamala Harris.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He HATES P.R., this from many sources.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's definitely not one of his bigger or more memorable scandals, but do you remember when, after Maria, he said "You know, you're really messing up my budget?" to P.R.? That really made me sick. I know he'd done worse and has done worse since, but it just disgusted me.
    Me, too. Not much is worse, imo. What the GOP has done to P.R. is evil. This is easy to fix, but they refuse. The Jones Act could have been repealed, but they continuously refuse. Cruelty is the point.

P.R. should be a 51st State. And D.C. a 52nd State.

No taxation without representation.

I always think of my old friend @Lunatica , who’s always in my heart.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tonight’s Democratic Convention should be GOOD! HISTORIC!

Watch via MSNBC, if you can.

Kamala Harris is going to start it out, live.

If you need a live viewing invite via the DNC, go here:

https://www.mobilize.us/2020victory/...dium=copy_link
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was pleased with AOC's mention of colonization last night, though it apparently confused plenty of people allegedly on the left.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who is bored by Billie Eilish?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yep.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Yep.
    Not true. My husband was equally bored. And detailing the formula.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The only thing good about Halloween Horror Nights at universal orlando being cancelled this year is we didn’t have to deal with that damned Rumored Billie Eilish house.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    The only thing good about Halloween Horror Nights at universal orlando being cancelled this year is we didn’t have to deal with that damned Rumored Billie Eilish house.
    Oh NO! We already bought the hair!

And the pre-recorded beat box. And Grammys.

They shoulda had LIZZO.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Oh NO! We already bought the hair!

And the pre-recorded beat box. And Grammys.

They shoulda had LIZZO.
    What sucks is like me, she has Tourettes. And she’s weird for like, no reason. So instead of having a huge superstar with Tourette’s as an educational tool and proof it’s not a big deal we got a person who wears xxxxxxxxxxl shirts and dyes their roots green. Really perpetuates the weird predisposition that people with Tourette’s has something wrong with them.