Thread: Worlds of DC Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Yes, correct. But it sounds like your real problem here is the size of your tv? Do you complain when a film is in cinema widescreen as opposed to widescreen? Because in terms of pixels used, that and 4x3 are quite similar. They both cut off a whole lot of real estate on a 16:9 TV screen, but for some reason people only complain when its 4x3. The image itself IS taller. Not your tv. To fill your tv, the image would have to have the top and bottom cut off. If you really want a bastardization of the original image, you can just zoom in, it will look like shit though. I'd rather have the full frame. It still takes up a good chunk of the screen.

In your first post you mentioned you thought Snyder was dumb to release in this format because it's intended for home release. That's actually not true. When he filmed it he very much intended to release it in IMAX theaters. Back in 2017 who could have foreseen the shit we're in now. Then his daughter died and he never finished the film. If he were starting from scratch he may have gone a different route. Hbo came to him and asked if he'd finish it and he told them he would only if he could do it his way. It was shot in 4x3 so thats what it's going to be. Also I'm sure one day it will get a theatrical run. Imax uses a taller image for a reason.

I don't blame him. Every Snyder director's cut is better than the studio version they force him to do. It's happened before and I expect this version of the movie will be a whole lot better than that Marvel wannabe shitshow that the 2017 version was. 4x3 or not.
    Well, HBO Max presents the theatrical cut without black bars. Unless they bastardized it for streaming. But either way, the image must be shrunk somewhat to fit height wise even if you include the space the black bars take up.

Batman V Superman Ultimate has black bars on HBO Max.

I still don't think Snyder or DC earned the scope of Justice League. They went all Endgame with no build up. I don't even understand where they would've went after this if Snyder did get his way. They just went too big too fast. They went from, "Oh hey, look, Batman and Superman are fighting" to massive world ending war in an instant. The stakes don't feel big because they barely built up these big villains.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-15-2021 at 03:14 AM.