Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    I don't think this is a problem exclusive to the US.

I'm studying history at a university in the UK, I've done US history courses that have extensively covered 20th century racism in the US and the civil rights movement, and Watchmen was the first time I'd heard about the "Tulsa Race Riot".
    I feel the same about the Atlanta child murders as documented by the second season of Mindhunter. It seems like that should be one of the most famous killing sprees in history, and yet just like the Tulsa race riot, tragedies primarily involving people of color seem to be conveniently left out of the history books.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Shazam says first half is called "At Midnight", no info on second half...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Shazam says first half is called "At Midnight"...
    That title matches the initial Youtube upload that popped up overnight Sunday into Monday morning...eventually pulled on a copyright claim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    That title matches the initial Youtube upload that popped up overnight Sunday into Monday morning...eventually pulled on a copyright claim.
    I wonder if they posted that video because of all the rips being uploaded after the pilot airing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Watched the first episode finally. Wow. Just wow. It had me hooked right from the get-go and the music was a great bonus on top of it. It was a great amalgamation of all the highlights of TR+AR’s music. Solid start.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Placeholders for this OST are now showing up on amazon DE and amazon UK. Still no pricing at the moment.

Volume 1
    Volume 2
    Volume 3

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So I finally got around to watching this and woah.

Because of Trent & Atticus's involvement in this I was always at least cautiously interested, but I was not particularly confident about how the show itself would be. The original Watchmen (and Alan Moore's work in general) made a huge impression on me in my youth. It's terrific and I hate Zack Snyder's adaptation (and pretty much the entirety of the Slow-Mo-Bro's filmography). I know how the bearded one hates these kind of projects and considering how many of them turn out it's hard to blame him. After Snyder's version the waters for an actually-good, faithful adaptation are a bit muddied, so the loose-sequel direction piqued my interest. But Damon Lindelof's involvement kept my expectations low. I never really got into Lost, I despise Prometheus with all my Alien-fan heart (though Covenant reinforces that Ridley Scott was the biggest part of the problem), and I never saw The Leftovers. The initial details even had me thinking there was going to be some weird counter-intuitive Blue Lives Matter subtext so I was skeptical at the very least. Always awesome to be wrong in cases like this!

I'm already anticipating the next episode. Gripping shit. It honors the world of the comic while building an identity and direction that is unmistakably its own. Top notch cast and production values. And that score...

I knew they'd be bringing their A-game for a project this huge and, as fans of the comic and Lindelof, important to them. But anticipating is different then hearing and hearing was just fantastic. I want to build a wall of this music and sleep in it. And the sax is back too! Pre-ordered the records and I'm eagerly awaiting them. And I'm stoked that I'm looking forward to the show just as much.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    after listening to the end credit song/bonus song, it's the first time in my mind I thought: "oh, I can totally see them touring this" . I think 2020 will bring us a TR/AR score tour of various scores, but heavy on the watchmen.

oh, and the first half reminded me of the song "bobs shadow" from cevin key (at around the :50 mark)
    Last edited by versusreality; 10-24-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Calling it... That bonus song is new NIN track.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    I don't think this is a problem exclusive to the US.

I'm studying history at a university in the UK, I've done US history courses that have extensively covered 20th century racism in the US and the civil rights movement, and Watchmen was the first time I'd heard about the "Tulsa Race Riot".
    no, i totally agree. in general, large events that have left many dead because of racism (or other horrible imbalanced thinking) tend to be covered up by the perpetrators and their progeny. christopher columbus is a fucking piece of shit and there's only a few states in the US that have finally switched over to celebrating Indigenous People's Day to make up for the years of celebrating a murderer/rapist/slave-trader.

anyway, apparently the tulsa massacre was almost successfully covered up until about 2003(?) so a lot of its details have only come to light in the last 15 years or so. that's why i think it was such a powerful way to open the series, and i'm glad it's gotten people talking about it. i don't think there's any shame in not knowing something as long as when one learns about its having happened, they do their best to learn more about it (when it's something important and impactful like this).
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 10-24-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This makes sense. I went to high school in Tulsa, and never heard anything about this. I was pretty studious as well, so I can state that it wasn't in the curriculum.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I wonder if they posted that video because of all the rips being uploaded after the pilot airing
    IIRC, HBO shows usually have different closing credit songs for each episode so I guess we'll know once we see how quickly they post Ep 2's closing credits.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone seen a Canadian listing anywhere?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    holy shit that’s so fucking good. I was in no rush to preorder Vol 1 but after listening to the end credits again and the “hidden” track fuck off and take my money dot gif
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    The first half of those end credits were balls of the walls great but DAMN, that second half...speechless. This OST may end up being their best work yet.
    I couldn't agree more! While The Social Network score is still my favorite of theirs (with TGwtDT being a close second), I can see this surpassing it if these two tracks and what we heard in the first episode are any indication of the direction of the rest of the material. The first track during the credits was great, but the second track is INCREDIBLE. I'm so excited that there are 39 tracks worth of material for recorded for Watchmen and I cannot wait to dive into the first volume!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don’t see in the vinyl description that a digital download is included. Is that stated anywhere?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm expecting a digital download card with the records at least. Most of the releases from the Vinyl era nin.com, even Deviations, have included digital copies and it would be weird not to include it with (what is currently) the only way to buy the Watchmen soundtrack. It hasn't been specified though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i dont think the before the flood soundtrack lp came with a download code, but i could be wrong.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Those Universal releases had a download card, but the Columbia Records release did not. That said, this seems to be a straight up Null Corp. release - so one would think a digital copy would be included for convenience. Alas, there’s nothing in the verbiage on any of the sites to make that confirmation.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Couldn't help myself, did a cover of the song, At Midnight. Such a fun track.

Here's the original for comparison:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    But Damon Lindelof's involvement kept my expectations low. I never really got into Lost, I despise Prometheus with all my Alien-fan heart (though Covenant reinforces that Ridley Scott was the biggest part of the problem), and I never saw The Leftovers.
    I felt a bit burned by Lost & Prometheus too. And many years ago he was writing a Hulk/Wolverine mini for Marvel. He got two out of the 6 issues out and then he just disappeared. The whole thing was cancelled. Finally he wrote them FOUR years later and they came out. But that put a bad taste in my mouth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Second episode was fantastic & it's pretty great to see them continuing the expansion of the Watchmen mythos and exciting to see where it's going.

The music was perfectly fitting and this time around felt a little more aggressive and also somber and felt like a harkening back to the feel of The Social Network in its ambience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I notice the files have been updated with those that reference the second episode. The second file (MEMO: Masked Vigilantes In Pop Culture) has references which seem like they may be to the new record, particularly "New on the radar is the re-release of The Book of Rorschach by Sons of Pale Horse, a short-lived space rock band of the nineties... The new edition is set to “drop,” to use the music industry parlance, on November 4". This might be a reference to some of the material which will be with it? Don't think this bit is spoilery:
    I have obtained an advanced copy of the re-release, and I must say, it gave me cause for concern. The record contains an essay written by Seymour David. If you know the lore behind “Rorschach’s Journal,” then you know that David was the one who discovered it while working as an editorial assistant at New Frontiersman in the eighties. He exploited the small fame he gained from making this lucky find to launch a career as a scholar of post-modern culture and his work often overlaps with mine. I’ve met the man at many conferences, and let me tell you, he’s an embarrassment to our oft-maligned field of study, a selfimportant know-it-all who doesn’t know when to shut up. I am reluctant to use my CV as an offensive weapon, but I have a doctorate in History and this man knows nothing of it.
    Alas, David has a following, which means his essay is going to receive some attention, and that brings me to my worry: his writing portrays the band as misunderstood misfits who made a “masterpiece” that deserves to be re-discovered and appreciated anew. And since the legends of Rorschach have inspired copycats over the decades — including those, like the 7K, who misappropriate him to some degree by projecting their own extremist ideologies onto him — we should consider the possibility that the re-release of The Book of Rorschach might further stoke renewed interest in him. Should I work up a more detailed threat assessment? Please advise.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    I notice the files have been updated with those that reference the second episode. The second file (MEMO: Masked Vigilantes In Pop Culture) has references which seem like they may be to the new record, particularly "New on the radar is the re-release of The Book of Rorschach by Sons of Pale Horse, a short-lived space rock band of the nineties... The new edition is set to “drop,” to use the music industry parlance, on November 4". This might be a reference to some of the material which will be with it? Don't think this bit is spoilery:
    I just read through the documents and was wondering the same thing. That would be nuts. The band is described as "space rock".

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    Are we heading into another ARG ASGASJLDSGHALFGFLHFDBGHJADBGVAVFKVA *brain collapses on itself*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The "missing artwork" for the release on the 4th does sort of look like a blurred book cover... kind of fits in. I was kind of thinking they might be releasing some original songs to go with this show. I'm surprised more people aren't talking / speculating about his.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Hearing Trenticcus' music being followed by the Lacrimosia from Mozart's Requiem was amazing. My favorite musical geniuses back to back. What else can I ask for?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but to me the most surprising thing about this show so far is that there's no opening credits sequence! HBO is known for amazing opening titles already, so when you have Trent and Atticus on board, it seems like a no-brainer that they would work together to make some badass title sequence.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but to me the most surprising thing about this show so far is that there's no opening credits sequence! HBO is known for amazing opening titles already, so when you have Trent and Atticus on board, it seems like a no-brainer that they would work together to make some badass title sequence.
    I really like the cold opens, especially how they've incorporated the episode title into the scenes. Makes it feel like a live-action comic.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    More incredible work from Trent & Atticus last night. In particular the piece when Spoiler: Sister Night and the others are taking down Judd's body is absolutely beautiful, and the recurring themes are hypnotic. The score is such a powerfully felt presence in the show and it may stand up there with Trent and Atticus's strongest works. In my opinion they're likely to score an Emmy nomination at this point.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    As per this week's Peteypedia files from HBO's website:

New on the radar is the re-release of The Book of Rorschach by Sons of Pale Horse, a short-lived spacerock band of the nineties named after the popular death metal group that perished on November 2 during the Dimensional Incursion Event. The new edition is set to “drop,” to use the music industry parlance,on November 4, which is to say, a couple days after the 24th anniversary of the D.I.E. It’s something of asquidsploitation exercise, though this might be the least of its offenses to good taste.
    Wonder if the packaging for Volume 1 will tie into this?